Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2weeks post op and wanting non liquid food

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on here and joined because Google searches we leading me down a rabbit hole. I had my surgery on the 15th of October and I feel great. However I am craving food I can chew. I'm just looking for any tips or trick that may have worked for some of you.

How long do you have left on liquids?

My suggestion would be looking for things to do that involve the mind and hands so that you are distracted for a little while.

Knitting, crocheting, puzzles, games with children, anything as to where your own interests lie, etc.

24 minutes ago, BillW82 said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on here and joined because Google searches we leading me down a rabbit hole. I had my surgery on the 15th of October and I feel great. However I am craving food I can chew. I'm just looking for any tips or trick that may have worked for some of you.

My follow up is on the 30th. Should move on to pureed foods then. I should add I'm having trouble getting in all my Water. So I know that adds to my issue.

I got my surgery the same day (vsg) and what is keeping this phase interesting for me is mixing flavors.

For example, today I had a half of a cup of butternut squash Soup and I added some plain/nonfat/sugar free green yogurt sort of mimicking sour cream. I am also added things like cinnamon and nutmeg to my vanilla shakes or to plain yogurt.

Tuesday I can start purées and I’m almost nervous as I’m losing so fast/quickly that I worry it will slow down! Lol

I honestly have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. Yes, my brain misses normal food but we can do this! We can fight the demons that made us overweight!!

1 hour ago, pssk said:

Tuesday I can start purées and I’m almost nervous as I’m losing so fast/quickly that I worry it will slow down! Lol

You will slow down, and even stall - not because you are moving from liquids to mushes, but because your body has burned all the fast burning glycogen that it has and needs to shift gears to burning your stored fat, which burns slower. Most everyone slows and/or stalls at around 2-3 weeks out, even those of us who were on a soft diet from the outset and never had a hard transition from liquids.

3 hours ago, BillW82 said:

My follow up is on the 30th. Should move on to pureed foods then. I should add I'm having trouble getting in all my Water. So I know that adds to my issue.

I am in Texas, and the place where I had my surgery they have a Baritastic app, which helps you and keep track of everything you do starting from the pre-op stage. The surgeon and nutritionist will also be able to log on and see how well the patient is doing......

Because Stage 1: sugar-free Liquids, i was told when calculating my liquid intake until my first follow up, I should calculate my Water, broth, my sugar free popsicle as 2oz, and even my sugar free Jello in oz =liquids. I know every surgeon has different rules, but maybe you are getting your 64oz with everything else.

They put you on 2-3 wks of just liquids afterwards? I was moved to pureed after a week. Try to change up your shakes and see if that helps. Can you do FF cream Soups? That at least feels like a meal. I do lots of Popsicles too its not much but you can crunch on bite of those.

I understand that feeling all too well. My RNY was on the 18th and I am so tired of Protein Shakes lol. I have started "eating" cream Soups blended well (and strained) with ricotta cheese and skim milk. That has helped me with getting my Protein for the day in.

Best of Luck!

I had my follow up Monday. I’m two weeks posts op Today and they told me to start purée today. Gosh I was nervous. I made a 1 egg omelette and put a small amount of cheese in it. I mixed it in the bullet and I was able to eat a tablespoon so far and will try a little more later.

Edited by NCmomof3_fightsback

On 10/28/2019 at 4:55 AM, BillW82 said:

Hello Everyone,

i was the same just craving to be able to chew (had op same date as yourself) when my family all had steak for dinner...smell of it drove me nuts. I cut a small piece of steak and just chewed it without swallowing ...was enough to satisfy my craving for actually chewing. The dietician and dr said I have 2 weeks until i can start eating casseroles and stews and i cant wait!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:15 PM, Fitby40icandoit said:

i was the same just craving to be able to chew (had op same date as yourself) when my family all had steak for dinner...smell of it drove me nuts. I cut a small piece of steak and just chewed it without swallowing ...was enough to satisfy my craving for actually chewing. The dietician and dr said I have 2 weeks until i can start eating casseroles and stews and i cant wait!

not to bust your chops but don't get too excited ..it's better in your head... reality is a fork or two and you will be done.. enjoy