Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone go to hospital alone?

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to have surgery in Dec (just waiting on final surgery date) and I'm wondering if anyone was all by themselves at the hospital? I'm not married or in a relationship right now and all my family lives out of state. I do have local friends who I've told about the surgery and one of them is going to stay with me for a couple of days after surgery - but I don't really want to ask her to also come sit in the hospital day of (no real value).

What I'm wondering is was anyone else in a similar situation? Were you able to take a bag and did they just put it in the room for you?

Appreciate advice from anyone who has been through this!

Lori

4 hours ago, loridee11 said:

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to have surgery in Dec (just waiting on final surgery date) and I'm wondering if anyone was all by themselves at the hospital? I'm not married or in a relationship right now and all my family lives out of state. I do have local friends who I've told about the surgery and one of them is going to stay with me for a couple of days after surgery - but I don't really want to ask her to also come sit in the hospital day of (no real value).

What I'm wondering is was anyone else in a similar situation? Were you able to take a bag and did they just put it in the room for you?

Appreciate advice from anyone who has been through this!

Lori

I live Alone also but I have got a friend to drop me off at hospital and pick me up when I'm done since I live about 2.5 hours away and don't feel like driving that much after surgery... But essentially I'll be in hospital alone!

I'm packing a bag just a small backpack*

Edited by Mikeyy

I took a cab and stayed overnight at a hotel across the street from the hospital because my surgery was going to be at 6am. My surgery went much better than expected (no pain or nausea at all post-surgery) and when I was released, I was met by an LVN who signed me out and then visited twice over the next 48 hours to make sure I was okay.

As for belongings, yes, the hospital staff transported my backpack and clothing bag to my recovery room.

I went in alone, the nurses put my bag in my room. Wasn't an issue. Good luck :)

A lovely friend took me to the hospital and stayed until I was taken to start the pre surgical processes. My bag was taken from me at this point & was in my room after the surgery. My doctor said he would keep me in a second night because I lived alone but I stayed a third night as I suffered terrible back spasms. My friend picked me up when I was discharged.
I slept most of the time in hospital after surgery (except when I was in pain from my back 😩) - couldn’t seem to concentrate to read, watch Netflix or make conversation with visitors so being alone wasn’t an issue.
I made sure I had all my Protein Shakes, clear broths, etc. and non prescription medications all set to go before I went to hospital so I wouldn’t have to go out or get people to go shopping for me for two weeks post surgery.
Good luck.

Yep did the same got all my Protein etc so don't need to go shops afterwards.

On 10/26/2019 at 17:39, Daisyjayne said:

I went in alone, the nurses put my bag in my room. Wasn't an issue. Good luck :)

Same experience. No issue with going in alone

Thanks all! I’ll Uber there and I have a friend who will pick me up and stay with me so I’m all good for after. Glad to hear the time in hospital should be fine 🙂

I am getting surgery 4 hours away and we have three dogs so my husband is staying at home to take care of them. I am riding the train both up and back and will only need an Uber to get from the hospital to the Metro which I will ride to the train station. I'm the sort that really doesn't want anyone hanging around when I'm recovering so it's all good.