Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much protein should I be getting everyday?

15 minutes ago, Friday205 said:

I’m 5’3” and 143 lbs. How much Protein should I be getting?

My surgeon's guidelines say a female 5 ft tall needs 50 - 60 gms/day. 5 ft 5 in needs 60 - 65 gms/day. 5 ft 8 in needs 65 - 70 gms/day. That would put you at about 60 gms/day.

It depends on the calories too. I was only eating 800 calories and getting in 60-70g but once I upped the calories to over 1100 I had to increase Protein to 80-90g since I wanted my protein/carb/fat ratio closer.

9 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

It depends on the calories too. I was only eating 800 calories and getting in 60-70g but once I upped the calories to over 1100 I had to increase Protein to 80-90g since I wanted my protein/carb/fat ratio closer.

Ok. Thanks. How many calories are y’all getting. I’m 6 months out and my surgeon said no more than 800 calories and no more than 50 carbs a day.

I am at maintenance now at 8 months out. But I was only getting 500-600 the first few months then months 4-6 closer to 700- 800 with less than 30 carbs. I was loosing too fast (for me). I started at 35 BMI. Every surgeon is different if course but that sounds like it aligns with most of what I have read. I still do a Protein Shake every morning to make sure I’m getting a good amount of Protein and Vitamins. My paperwork said to transition to food from the shake by now but that was to make sure people didn’t get too high of calories. My MD and nut are fine with me on a shake a day indefinitely. Ideally in 6 months when I can eat more I would like to decrease that to maybe only every other day and get protein from real food but not in a rush now.

You may want to look at the maintenance thread. You may not be there yet but it’s a process not a sudden transition. Reading everyone’s experiences can help you prepare since it sounds like you are probably getting close.