Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious if any of you have gone to an IV bar to help with hydration. If so, how was your experience with it? I am tempted, but resistant lol. I know I am dehydrated, but not to the point of going to an urgent care. I feel like getting a 1 liter bag of IV fluids would make me feel so much better, but don't know if I am ready to jump right in with a place that isn't really a hospital/urgent care. I also don't like that they let the bags go in over an hour... although I am sure my kidneys/heart can handle it... I just prefer slow and steady.

I should add... I have been a little behind in fluids ever since surgery... as my stupid day shift nurse didn't up my fluids post-op like she was supposed to. I noticed, but was still too out of it to advocate for myself. The night nurse caught it, but I think I was already behind by then. And not dissing on nurses... husband and I are both nurses... just didn't like my day shift nurse... had her after surgery and the next morning and was less than thrilled with her both days. Luckily hubby was taking better care of me, as did the night shift nurse.

3 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

Just curious if any of you have gone to an IV bar to help with hydration. If so, how was your experience with it? I am tempted, but resistant lol. I know I am dehydrated, but not to the point of going to an urgent care. I feel like getting a 1 liter bag of IV fluids would make me feel so much better, but don't know if I am ready to jump right in with a place that isn't really a hospital/urgent care. I also don't like that they let the bags go in over an hour... although I am sure my kidneys/heart can handle it... I just prefer slow and steady.

I go to the Vitamin lounge here. I even went before surgery because I was fighting a cold and it helped reduce my white blood cell count so I qualified. . There are so many choices of IVs and it's a good way to get hydrated without having to actually drink. You can ask them to drip them slow. I took about an hour..you get to relax... My local IV lounge has several bariatric patients. you can get the famous yellow banana bag @momof3_angels My only complaint is that I wish it is a bit more affordable. I would take all of my Vitamins and fluids this way if I could....

Edited by Panda333

18 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

What is an IV BAR sounds unsafe.unregulated.

They are called IV Bars (the old name for them anyway) because they were originally opened to use IV fluids to treat hangovers. I do not think they are well regulated, but some have good oversight (have to do your research). They have expanded their businesses to hydrate for a multitude of reasons and many are overseen by actual medical professionals now.

In general, they are a trendy waste of money because most people can hydrate on their own... and if they can't, they usually need medical attention. But... seeing as how bariatric patients can't always take in enough fluids, it kind of seems like a waste of medical resources to go to an urgent care/ER when you can just go to these places. Personally, I have the medical knowledge to know what to look for while there and proper procedures. Just don't know if I am ready to trust them lol

20 minutes ago, Panda333 said:

I go to the Vitamin lounge here. I even went before surgery because I was fighting a cold and it helped reduce my white blood cell count so I qualified. . There are so many choices of IVs and it's a good way to get hydrated without having to actually drink. You can ask them to drip them slow. I took about an hour..you get to relax... My local IV lounge has several bariatric patients. you can get the famous yellow banana bag @momof3_angels My only complaint is that I wish it is a bit more affordable. I would take all of my Vitamins and fluids this way if I could....

Thanks. Yes, I have looked at what they have to offer. An MVI bag (banana bag) is nice, but really all I want is a liter of normal saline! It IS expensive, but cheaper (in some cases) than a co-pay to an ER/Urgent care... and without wasting resources needed for SICK patients. Still... don't know if I am ready to go there!