Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want to/forget to eat

Question for those of you that have gone through something similar. I simply don't want to eat. I'm 5 months post VSG and I am not hungry at all. I know I should be eating 3 meals a day with 2 healthy Snacks in between to get all my Protein in. However, I'm just not hungry. I'm either forcing myself to eat 3 bites of something before the restriction sets in, or I will completely forget to eat altogether. Should I continue forcing myself to eat something when my body doesn't want it?

Same as you - I just did a ten day fast/cleanse. My doctor said eat when you want but if you don't eat it will slow down your weight lose. I find him to be wrong i go days without eating.

My key is my shakes with all the powder Vitamins and minerals - 5 oz in the morning and i gotta force the night one down, sometimes just take a pill for the vitamins and call it a day.

Curious to see how people post on this I am in the same situation

12 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Same as you - I just did a ten day fast/cleanse. My doctor said eat when you want but if you don't eat it will slow down your weight lose. I find him to be wrong i go days without eating.

My key is my shakes with all the powder Vitamins and minerals - 5 oz in the morning and i gotta force the night one down, sometimes just take a pill for the Vitamins and call it a day.

Curious to see how people post on this I am in the same situation

AJ- I have been curious about fasting post VSG. how long did you wait post VSG to do you first fast and did you just do Water or did you do IF? And for how long? I am low calories (average 500) and yet i still do NOT lose weight and i am wondering if fasting would help move things along. To lose the weight prior to surgery (so I would get approved) I did OMAD and i lost more on that than i have post surgery, which is nuts to me. I ate what I wanted but mostly salad with a Protein (on and i would have coffee with almond milk in AM so not 100% strick fast) and i ate within a 1-3 hr window depending on how crazy work was that day and i Lost weight quickly. I have been interested in going back to that but i can't find anyone talking about OMAD or fasting after VSG. I would love to know more about your experience if you would share AJ. You mention shakes... would you say in average you fast and do not eat many days of the week and then occasionally you do two shakes a day? Am i reading that correctly? And so on shake days you get in about 320 cals a day?

7 hours ago, Serengirl said:

AJ- I have been curious about fasting post VSG. how long did you wait post VSG to do you first fast and did you just do Water or did you do IF? And for how long? I am low calories (average 500) and yet i still do NOT lose weight and i am wondering if fasting would help move things along. To lose the weight prior to surgery (so I would get approved) I did OMAD and i lost more on that than i have post surgery, which is nuts to me. I ate what I wanted but mostly salad with a Protein (on and i would have coffee with almond milk in AM so not 100% strick fast) and i ate within a 1-3 hr window depending on how crazy work was that day and i Lost weight quickly. I have been interested in going back to that but i can't find anyone talking about OMAD or fasting after VSG. I would love to know more about your experience if you would share AJ. You mention shakes... would you say in average you fast and do not eat many days of the week and then occasionally you do two shakes a day? Am i reading that correctly? And so on shake days you get in about 320 cals a day?

You HAVE to bump up your calories if you want to lose. 500 per day is fine for 2 or 3 days a week, but you should be getting at LEAST 1,000 - 1,500 on the other days. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but increasing your calories will make your metabolism believe that it doesn't have to stay in the starvation mode forever. EAT MORE!

16 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

You HAVE to bump up your calories if you want to lose. 500 per day is fine for 2 or 3 days a week, but you should be getting at LEAST 1,000 - 1,500 on the other days. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but increasing your calories will make your metabolism believe that it doesn't have to stay in the starvation mode forever. EAT MORE!

But I am only 7 weeks out and my Drs office said I should be between 500-700 per day. I emailed my Dr about this today in fact and he suggested being at 500 every day - sigh - so i am really confused especially since my bariatric nutritionist said 1300. I see so many conflicting pieces of information about this...

1 hour ago, Serengirl said:

But I am only 7 weeks out and my Drs office said I should be between 500-700 per day. I emailed my Dr about this today in fact and he suggested being at 500 every day - sigh - so i am really confused especially since my bariatric nutritionist said 1300. I see so many conflicting pieces of information about this...

My bad, sorry. I thought I read in another post that you were 15 or 18 months out. IMHP you should not even be thinking about fasting or IF if you are only 7 weeks post op. 500-700 cal/day is the right amount for 7 weeks. You cannot possibly eat 1300 cal/day at this point. None of us could.

What are you doing for exercise?

3 hours ago, AZhiker said:

My bad, sorry. I thought I read in another post that you were 15 or 18 months out. IMHP you should not even be thinking about fasting or IF if you are only 7 weeks post op. 500-700 cal/day is the right amount for 7 weeks. You cannot possibly eat 1300 cal/day at this point. None of us could.

What are you doing for exercise?

I workout with my trainer doing weightlifting 2-3 times a week and cardio (walking or elliptical or a cardio dvd) at least four times a week for 45 min

On 10/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, Serengirl said:

I did a 10 program - if you look at my post i did a layout - I hired a Nutritionist and i also us a app for calories, Bottom line is I don't eat very much, Just don't feel like eating. I will say that i lost 10 pounds during the fast but after bumped back 3. I think it was Water weight. My average is 200 calories a day and most days I just do shakes or veggies smoothies. I beat the hell out of myself for 52 years so really focusing on the Vitamins and health end of it with conjunction of the weight loose. I slip a lot with the vodka but the food thing is easy to me. I think they yanked all the hunger nerves out of me when they took my 85% of my stomach. I also Hate water so this is a major problem for me, I drink the Protein waters and i convert water to some sort of flavor drops. I.m a big dude and and I am lucky if i get in 30 oz of water a day, I know that is bad but it makes me feel like hell and blots me. My main liquid is the real low calorie sports drinks or baby drinks

I will say once you get the nutrition end under control you will never feel better. Something weird happened i went in to get a eye exam, Been 3 years. My eyes have improved? Not sure if the nutrition had anything to do with it but they really improved.

So to wrap up the question: I think the 10 day flush is priceless and i do think it moves your body to healthy and starts the body burning again, but i am not a doctor just saying it was worth it to me

AJ so interesting you say that about your eyes. I know another woman who got surgery and her eyesight got better too!!! I do not think it’s a coincidence I think everything is related to our gut and our weight for the most part and that the old guys got it right when they said let thy food be thy medicine and if you’re sick - fast. Interesting thing though- the past couple of days I forced myself to eat more- I had to do it with shakes and soft food like yogurt and cheese for the most part to get my calories higher and Lost (not only the 1.5 I inexplicably gained when I d had just 500 cals a day ) but an extra 1.5 so three pounds I’ve lost in 3 days and I had 1100 calories a day. I worked out Friday but not Saturday and Sunday and I ate within a 4- 6 hr window. I know my body in the past would shut down after too many low calorie days but I thought post surgery that would change but maybe not. I’m going to stay with IF and keep my calories in the 800-1000 range for the next 4 days and see if my body likes it. How exciting your eyesight got better! I hope mine does too! And I can’t wait to see how your journey unfolds.

I agree with you Like Mom said - Eat right and you will be healthy. The only problem is I played way to hard so going to take a while. With only 22 pounds to go Not really worried anymore about the weight - Have to get there soon because my kids are going to kill me if i don't end this Party. Not sure if you saw my post but i refuse to buy new clothes or get a hair cut till i hit my weight. I look like a Homeless guy. Doing it just to have fun, Have not had long hair for years, Kinda funny. Girlfriend is supporting the party time but refuses to go out in public, Good I cant eat out anyhow, She is a great doctor and she is the one who switched me from focusing on the weight to Focus on Nutrition and the weight will just happen.

Who knows maybe all the bangs, bruises and medical defects will fix over time. - Nothing to loose at this point.