Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first post and First appointment with Bariatric Center.

Today I had my first meeting with the Bariatric Center and the experience was fantastic! They asked me what I was looking to have as my target weight. I am currently 338 and 5-8” y’all.

Have a question for the group. He mentioned the sleeve and the bypass as the two options. He stated that the bypass would get me more results as weight loss goes at around 135 pounds loss. He stated the sleeve would get me about 110 pounds loss.

He stated Sleeve issues:
Some patients experience lists of acid reflux

He stated bypass issues:
Your body wouldn’t absorb the Vitamins and nutrients as much

Would love recommendations from the group. Anyone out there get the sleeve and wish they got the bypass?

My first post

11 minutes ago, PatrickMaloney said:

Today I had my first meeting with the Bariatric Center and the experience was fantastic! They asked me what I was looking to have as my target weight. I am currently 338 and 5-8” y’all.

Have a question for the group. He mentioned the sleeve and the bypass as the two options. He stated that the bypass would get me more results as weight loss goes at around 135 pounds loss. He stated the sleeve would get me about 110 pounds loss.

He stated Sleeve issues:

He stated bypass issues:

Would love recommendations from the group. Anyone out there get the sleeve and wish they got the bypass?

My first post

Welcome to the group. Trust your medical team. They may have insight on what surgery will work best for you.

This video may help.

35 minutes ago, PatrickMaloney said:

He stated Sleeve issues:

He stated bypass issues:

My first post

Mate I suggest you do some reading :) I've read 1000s of posts on this site and ultimately choose bypass as it is the most successful and highest weight loss percentage in general

I went through lots of videos and decided on the duodenal switch. I'm very close to you, 310 and 5'9". Best of luck in your journey

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

if you have issues with acid reflux, go with bypass. Otherwise, it's a personal choice. Read everything you can and maybe your choice will become clearer.

I went for my first consult yesterday too. The surgeon recommended that I go with the sleeve due to prior abdominal surgeries like colon resection from Diverticulitis and a bowel obstruction. He said I may have lots of scar tissue to sort through. He also mentioned that the bypass was only an additional 30 minute surgery from the sleeve. I believe he favored the bypass bc he mentioned that I'd lose more weight. I'm currently 5'5, 256 with no co-morbidities.

I'm still pre-op and having to decide between sleeve and bypass. I'm going with the bypass mainly because I have acid reflux and the bypass will stop it. As everyone has suggested, make sure to read everything you can get your hands on. This site is a treasure-trove of experiences and advice. The advice I read here plus my team's advice are going to be a winning combination I believe. Feel free to ask any questions, we've all had or are having them too. All the best to you!

Hi, and welcome! As others have suggested read all you can, and ultimately trust your team. Good luck, both surgeries are a God-send in my opinion!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

19 hours ago, PatrickMaloney said:

He stated Sleeve issues:

He stated bypass issues:

My first post

do your research also. it all depends on your willpower and your journey. i started at 303 when i started this journey, my highest was 340. i also was told about 75% of my excess. that would have put me at 118 loss to my dr. goal of being 145. my personal goal is 135. if i make it to 150 heck i will be happy. right now i am sitting at 129.4 loss.. over 10 pounds more than my 75% goal or 82% currently. i just hit my second stall (well it broke on Sunday) so i am losing again... i had the sleeve.. I am happy with what i had and i chose the sleeve because i had no other co morbidities other than the weight. Bypass reroutes your inside, and the sleeve removes some of it, but the organs stay in the same place lol.. it is all personal choice. I wanted my organs to stay in the same place, plus lets be real. I was self pay and the sleeve is half the cost of the bypass.

Hi! I initially wanted to have the sleeve, but... the NP convinced me to choose a RNY because of 2 things: 1. A LOT of people who never had reflux develop reflux with the sleeve & gastric erosion of the esophagus is not a good thing, Proton Pump Inhibitors are not healthy to be taking long term for other reasons... but you will prob be on them long term
2. With me she said I have metabolic syndrome and more weight loss would be beneficial for me in the long run for preventing diabetes- I have “pre-diabetes” now. For comparison to you... I’m 5’5” and 334 pounds at my consult appt.

Also through my own research, over time as the percentage of sleeve surgeries went up, so did the number of WLS revisions. And I know correlation is not causation, but my guess is a lot of those sleeves were revised to RNYs.
She did tell me that it was my choice. So do your research and ask your Dr questions as needed. Good luck!

I chose RNY b/c I have GERD, and also b/c I have a sweet tooth, and I like the idea that knowing eating sugar will make me sick, so I won't do it!

On 10/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, 3sonsitk said:

I went for my first consult yesterday too. The surgeon recommended that I go with the sleeve due to prior abdominal surgeries like colon resection from Diverticulitis and a bowel obstruction. He said I may have lots of scar tissue to sort through. He also mentioned that the bypass was only an additional 30 minute surgery from the sleeve. I believe he favored the bypass bc he mentioned that I'd lose more weight. I'm currently 5'5, 256 with no co-morbidities.

We are the same size! I just had my 2nd appt of 6 prior to surgery.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, Healthy_life2 said:

Welcome to the group. Trust your medical team. They may have insight on what surgery will work best for you.

This video may help.

Thanks for posting this video!

The video was very helpful, thanks @Healthy_life2 for posting it!