Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Menus for Maintenance

yesterday 2/4/20

My schedule was all messed up today because I had a doctors appt at 10:30 so I took a sick day off from work. It was 69 F here so I decided to go for a 2 mile run. My knee is still doing good. I ran about 60% and walked the rest. Slowly but surely I hope to get back to running 15-20 miles a week.

9. am- coffee/cream

12 pm- 3 smoked turkey sticks with 6 small squares cheddar cheese

1 pm- coffee/cream

2pm- diet green tea with handful of walnuts

6 pm- large salad with a hard boiled egg, walnuts, sliced avocado. Olive garden Italian dressing

8 pm- activia vanilla yogurt/ 4 strawberries

Calories- 901.3 Net Carbs- 27 Fiber- 11.7g Protein- 40.9g Fat- 56g Glycemic Load- 2.4

2/5/20

I think I will eat the 8pm snack as planned so I am posting this now. The strawberries will be gone tonight and now I am craving them. This is what happens when I decide to eat a little fruit. It may very well be worth it as long as my blood sugars stay on target and I keep up my running.

Today was my granddaughters 19th birthday so I went to lunch with her and a bunch of co-workers at TGIF.

I went over my carb goal today, but it is what it is....

7 am- coffee/cream

10 am- coffee/cream

12:30 pm- grilled chicken breast with bacon, pepper jack cheese, avocado, and ranch type dressing. A handful of fries and 2 mozzarella sticks.

4:30 pm- 3 turkey sticks with 3 squares of cheddar cheese

6 pm- coffee/cream

8 pm- vanilla yogurt with 4 strawberries

Calories- 1079 Net Carbs- 32g Fiber- 7.7g Protein- 79g Fat- 54g Glycemic Load- 3.4

8 hours ago, ms.sss said:

1.5 anchovy fillets + 1/2 tbsp capers + 1/8 cup Tomato basil Pasta Sauce

I have never developed a taste for anchovy fillets. A friend of mine brings pickled herring to work for lunch and it smells awful...lol..

4 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I have never developed a taste for anchovy fillets. A friend of mine brings pickled herring to work for lunch and it smells awful...lol..

LOL, I have a penchant for stinky food (blue cheese, canned oysters, kimchee...)

4 hours ago, Apple1 said:

Today was my granddaughters 19th birthday

I just looked at your profile header image...you DO NOT look like you have a 19 year old grandchild!!!

Wanna share your fountain of youth secrets??????

7 hours ago, ms.sss said:

LOL, I have a penchant for stinky food (blue cheese, canned oysters, kimchee...)

I just looked at your profile header image...you DO NOT look like you have a 19 year old grandchild!!!

Wanna share your fountain of youth secrets??????

lol.. thanks, but I don't have any. If you click on that photo it will show the un-cropped image which has the granddaughter in question standing with me when she was 6- 7. So I have aged some. The reason I chose that photo is because that is how I saw myself in my head before my weight gain started. I was always the tall skinny girl. I could eat anything and never worried about my weight. Fast forward a few years and my immune system started silently attacking my thyroid and all hell broke loose. I gained 100lbs from the 145-150 I probably weighed in that photo. The metabolic dysfunction that took over ruined my health.

So that photo was my inspiration post-op. It was from the last time I remembered feeling truly healthy and great. I should update it.

Menu - (note training for distance run)

• coffee - unsweetened cashew milk, banana
  • Post workout recovery meal - oatmeal raspberries - Protein Water -
  • lunch - Homemade chicken sausage and vegetable Soup. Flat out bread and tuna salad wrap
  • snack - sugar snap peas and hummus
  • dinner - Chicken salad with hemp hearts sliced almonds marinated artichokes chick peas 50/50 spring mix - sweet potato
  • Night time snack - Yogurt - frozen raspberries - chia seed and cashews

@FluffyChix

I don't believe the post on intuitive eating was making an assumption about not trusting our selves. Or did I miss something?

To log or not to log is a personal choice. It's finding what works long term.

@Greenfeather65

IMHO, I believe maintaining is NOT a one size fits all plan. Calories/ maros will look different for each of us. Some of us have health issues, food addictions,, have a great metabolism or a high fitness level. We all approach maintaining knowing are risk factors. Its also possible for risk factors to change with time.

Some can maintain with ease. They have la good relationship with food. They can do intuitive eating, keep and eye on the scale and not get complacent. Don't need to log food anymore.

Some may have eating disorders/ anorexia behavior/obsessing. They may have a harder time getting out of weight loss mode, Backing off of logging may be a better approach. Without getting complacent and regaining.

Some, still are trying to increase calories/macros with tight surgery restriction. They may need to log to find where there body stops losing weight

Some are struggling with old behaviors - or binge eating, food addiction, stress emotional eating. They may need to log for accountability.

Some have regain years out. May need to log to get back on track.

Off my soap box *smile*

5 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I don't believe the post on intuitive eating was making an assumption about not trusting our selves. Or did I miss something?

To log or not to log is a personal choice. It's finding what works long term.

Because I read it contextually in line with the previous posts where it painted a picture of many of our struggles with figuring out maintenance and the lengths we sometimes have to go to in order to track.

And it just hit me about as squarely rude as this old advice from doctors..."If you want to lose your fat, lady, just eat less and exercise more."

Those who've never eaten intuitively or have other back issues, may not be very skilled at this. As you say, we are ALL individual. And what works for one will not for another. What I find interesting is that I applaud those who CAN eat intuitively and are able to either a) lose weight or b) maintain. I think they are fabulous for having it figured out for them! I support their choices and lifestyle. But often, I do not feel the support from this group of people. I don't think many of us trackers do. Instead, I feel varying levels of comtempt, disdain, or shaming from them for our propensity to track, weigh, and measure. (By the way, that's my instruction from my surgeon for my forever diet...so I'm just complying with doctor's orders. :) )

Yesterday Wednesday, Feb 5
Maintenance : 5'2" / 1.25 yr PO Sleeve / 118.7 lbs
----------------------------------------
Yesterday's Exercise Goal: min 1 hour walk (did 1.5 hours) + 20 squats + 50 crunches + 50 leg lifts (started off doing it flat on my back, but my hip kept popping/cracking so I switched to jackknife position) CHECK!

Yesterday's Calorie Goal: sub-1000 cals FAIL! everything was going to plan until BFF asked me last minute to go out for dinner and movie (PSA: Save your money and DO NOT go see "The Rhythm Section"). Then we followed up with drinks and dessert so....yeah. I came home a little too drunk and ATE. A. SLICE. OF. pizza. that was leftover in the fridge. I wasn't even hungry. I didn't even think, I just ate it. I haven't had pizza in over a year. I guess this is how it happens, the whole sliding back into bad habits...

Sooo...i realize its not the end of the world (despite my annoyance at myself), and will do today what I didn't do yesterday (i.e., sub 1000 cals). Geez.

P.S. Movie popcorn is the WORST! I entered what I ate AFTER the fact and was shocked to see that MFP calculated the amount of popcorn that I ate as 619 calories (popcorn + seasoning + fake butter) ! Whoa.

9:00am - black coffee w/ stevia

1:30pm - salad greens + vinaigrette + carrots + apple + 5.7 oz pan fried steak in butter & bacon fat

4:00pm - black coffee w/ stevia + 2 oz chicharron + 1pm leftovers

7:00pm - 1 (out of 3) BBQ chicken Lettuce wraps + 1 tbsp blue cheese dressing

9:30pm - 1/2 bag of movie popcorn w/ fake butter + 1/2 packet of white cheddar seasoning + 1 Atkins Coconut chocolate Bar

1:30am - 1/2 pecan butter tart + 2 tbsp vanilla ice cream + 1/2 glass red wine + 3 tequila shots + 1 vodka w/ diet cranberry juice + 1 black coffee

2:30am - 3/4 slice of pepperoni & bacon pizza

Totals: 2415 cals - 105g Protein 123g NET carbs - 137g fat

Edited by ms.sss

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

lol.. thanks, but I don't have any. If you click on that photo it will show the un-cropped image which has the granddaughter in question standing with me when she was 6- 7. So I have aged some. The reason I chose that photo is because that is how I saw myself in my head before my weight gain started. I was always the tall skinny girl. I could eat anything and never worried about my weight. Fast forward a few years and my immune system started silently attacking my thyroid and all hell broke loose. I gained 100lbs from the 145-150 I probably weighed in that photo. The metabolic dysfunction that took over ruined my health.

So that photo was my inspiration post-op. It was from the last time I remembered feeling truly healthy and great. I should update it.

Actually I was talking about your header photo...the one with you wearing hat at the shoreline with rock cliffs behind you? Is that a recent picture?

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Because I read it contextually in line with the previous posts where it painted a picture of many of our struggles with figuring out maintenance and the lengths we sometimes have to go to in order to track.

And it just hit me about as squarely rude as this old advice from doctors..."If you want to lose your fat, lady, just eat less and exercise more."

Those who've never eaten intuitively or have other back issues, may not be very skilled at this. As you say, we are ALL individual. And what works for one will not for another. What I find interesting is that I applaud those who CAN eat intuitively and are able to either a) lose weight or b) maintain. I think they are fabulous for having it figured out for them! I support their choices and lifestyle. But often, I do not feel the support from this group of people. I don't think many of us trackers do. Instead, I feel varying levels of comtempt, disdain, or shaming from them for our propensity to track, weigh, and measure. (By the way, that's my instruction from my surgeon for my forever diet...so I'm just complying with doctor's orders. :) )

From where I was looking at it, I didn't get a sense of contempt nor disdain from GreenFeather's post. But of course I read it through a different lens, so how I received/reacted to it would be different.

I find one of the inherent problems with this forum (and any forum, really) is that even though we always say don't compare, it's still being done and this often wrecks havoc on the mental state/feelings/self-assessment of the compare-r, especially if the comparison results in a self-finding that they are somehow lacking (real or perceived).

And while the constant statement of "Everyone is different" is said over and over again, members will still offer advice/opinions based on their own experience. And works both ways: the reader can accept or reject said advice (with varying degrees of agreeably or vehemence) based on their own experience.

With that said, I try not to take things personally on here, especially because it is difficult at best to determine intention and tone from letters and words on screen. I disagree with a good amount of stuff on posted here, and I may say so on occasion, but I figure its not my job (nor my inclination) to change people's minds. I offer only my opinion or experience, and they can choose to take it or not. As I do the same with them. But again, that's just me.

And to borrow a line from @Healthy_life2: Off my soap box. ❤️

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Actually I was talking about your header photo...the one with you wearing hat at the shoreline with rock cliffs behind you? Is that a recent picture?

lol I am such a dunce. That photo was probably a couple of years after the other. So still about 10 years ago. I really need to update my photos. Maybe tonight I will find a few recent ones and update my profile.

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

From where I was looking at it, I didn't get a sense of contempt nor disdain from GreenFeather's post. But of course I read it through a different lens, so how I received/reacted to it would be different.

From my perspective it sometimes feels like instead of just saying something like it is great that logging and weighing your food is working for you, intuitive eating proponents tend to act like they feel sorry for those of us who can’t or choose not to eat the way they do.

I tried to change up the way I ate and went Whole Foods plant based for a few months as well as stopped logging my meals. I researched it and felt it was a great thing to do, but it just didn’t work for me long term.

I am a firm believer in everyone needs to find what works for them, but when giving advice we must remember to quantify it with the reasons why it works for us and maybe some reasons why it might not work for others. That is my take on the subject.

Hope y'all enjoy long posts as much as me!!! Lol so Monday and Tuesday I did long fasts and only ate blended/ smoothie food. I would've loved to continue Wednesday but since my adorable nephews woke me up at 530 a.m. and fasting on almost no sleep is very difficult for me. You would think waking up this early (2+ hours earlier than usual) I would have time to prepare food, but they kept me busy. So I had to grab food at local supermarket. I did my best to choose right foods. Surprisingly enough I didn't really feel hungry until late night thankfully I was able to control myself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday feb 5
29 months PO/ 5'2" / CW 173
600 a.m. coffee + almond milk

945 a.m. lite greek cheese snack

100 p.m. veggies + 1 oz tuna + mayo

500 p.m. 1 oz cheddar cheese / coffee + almond milk

630 p.m. 1 oz tuna + mayo

845 p.m. plain Greek yogurt + pb powder

1130 p.m. nugo slim protien bar / coffee+ almond milk + whipped cream
Totals- 790 cals / 71g protien/ 41g net carbs / 35g fat

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

14 hours ago, chayarg said:

Hope y'all enjoy long posts as much as me!!

Same ❤️

P.S. way to do 790 cals yesterday!...and you are a hero for calling your nephews "adorable" even when they wake you up at 5:30 in the morning ;)

Yesterday Thursday, Feb 6
Maintenance : 5'2" / 1.25 yr PO Sleeve / 118.0 lbs
I just couldn't get to sleep last night, and am running on a bit over an hour of sleep (and I'm not even watching tennis!). As a result ended up eating around 1am (I was actually hungry), and again at 4am (I WAS NOT hungry).

Also, I am becoming a walking cliché:

The lack of motivation to exercise and make better food choices aside, now I'm probably developing the makings of an alcohol transfer addiction. #selfDiagnosingMakesMeAHypochondriach.

I am realizing that for the past two days now, I have actually been drinking not for the enjoyment of it, but for the sake of making myself feel mentally and physically better. This realization came to me this morning when I was contemplating about having a shot of liquor at 9am, AGAIN (I had a shot of lemoncello yesterday morning AT 9AM and then wanted some Gin this morning to "re-live" the good feels). Spoiler alert: I put the Gin back in the cabinet. But I wasn't happy about it. Whomp, whomp.

Anyhoo, the blues continue, but I am making a concentrated effort to be less angry today.

9:00am - black coffee w/ stevia + 1 fl oz lemoncello

12:30pm - salad greens + vinaigrette + carrots + cucumber + 2.5 oz roasted brussel sprouts + 1 leftover BBQ chicken lettuce wrap from the day before

2:30pm - skinny tea latte

4:00pm - Grande Starbucks Blonde Americano Misto w/ 1 pump of sugar-free vanilla

7:00pm - salad greens + vinaigrette + carrots + cucumber + 1.5 oz avocado + 5 oz steak

1:00am - salad greens + vinaigrette + red onions + 1/8 cup avocado cream (sour cream, greek yogurt, avocado, lime, garlic) + 1 oz blueberries + 1/2 oz havarti cheese + 1/4 shredded cabbage 1 oz bbq pork loin

4:00am - 4 squares dark chocolate + 1/2 cup Good North Protein ice cream + 1.5 oz chicharron

Totals: 1561 cals - 92g Protein 87g NET carbs - 82g fat