Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying again/My Story: PreOP Diet #2

Day 1: If you saw my posts in the revision section, then you know last Monday I started my preop diet in preparation for surgery next week. However, I have been nauseated and throwing up since Wednesday. (more nauseous than vomiting) I called the doc and spoke to the nurse who said she would get back with me and hasn't yet. So I decided today I would do liquids just for Breakfast and have a small meal for lunch and supper.

Breakfast will be: coffee, Protein Shake, & Water Just as the doctor ordered.

My meals will be a meat Protein with lettuce and Tomato salad. I'm also taking gas-x strips to help move that gas out that's sitting on my stomach. 🤢

Yes, I'm feeling miserable, but I have to shrink this liver before Monday gets here.🙁

Best wishes and prayers, LadyVS. Question - why do you have to shrink your liver? I didn't even know that was possible.

Because if you look at my BMI according to my height, I am considered obese. Your liver is positioned over the stomach and has to be moved out the way so that the doctor can get to the stomach.

6 minutes ago, Machalo said:

Best wishes and prayers, LadyVS. Question - why do you have to shrink your liver? I didn't even know that was possible.

Thanks for the best wishes. 😃

I'm on day 2 of my pre-op diet and, I'm hangry. I'm at work , which helps a little, but it's still rough. I restricted my calories for months before, dropped weight and so, I didn't think it would be this tough. Maybe it's in my head. Maybe it's also because there is food with all of the birthdays at work. I usually have lunch with people and I don't feel like it today (but I will go with them and sit at the work deli downstairs). I thought I was mentally prepared, and I am, but it is hard. My stomach growls. They told me 2 shakes, a sensible meal (3-4 oz of meat, 1 cup non-starchy veg and 1/2 good carbs, i.e. quinoa). They said Snacks, like SF Jello, pudding, oikos trip. zero yogurt, but didn't say how many you can have. I don't want to mess up. I don't have my nut's phone # with me to ask today. Sorry, just venting. This is some hard core mental prep, for sure.

5 hours ago, LadyVS said:

Because if you look at my BMI according to my height, I am considered obese. Your liver is positioned over the stomach and has to be moved out the way so that the doctor can get to the stomach.

I didn't realize it was lying over the stomach. I guess that makes sense then. So much to learn about. Have you found any good books or videos on the subject of WLS?

11 minutes ago, Machalo said:

I didn't realize it was lying over the stomach. I guess that makes sense then. So much to learn about. Have you found any good books or videos on the subject of WLS?

Not recently. I just know that because of what the nurse told me. That's why almost everyone has to do the liquid diet.

I know YouTube has some great videos to check out. When I first heard about the sleeve 5 years ago, I looked it up to see what in the world. I'm still not understanding why it's called a sleeve when you're not putting anything on the stomach. You're actually cutting the fat part off and shaping it like a banana. Lol but it's a sleeve, ok 😂😂😂 as long as it helps me loose this weight and keep it off, I don't care what it's called.

1 hour ago, Cherylmilla said:

I'm on day 2 of my pre-op diet and, I'm hangry. I'm at work , which helps a little, but it's still rough. I restricted my calories for months before, dropped weight and so, I didn't think it would be this tough. Maybe it's in my head. Maybe it's also because there is food with all of the birthdays at work. I usually have lunch with people and I don't feel like it today (but I will go with them and sit at the work deli downstairs). I thought I was mentally prepared, and I am, but it is hard. My stomach growls. They told me 2 shakes, a sensible meal (3-4 oz of meat, 1 cup non-starchy veg and 1/2 good carbs, i.e. quinoa). They said Snacks, like SF Jello, pudding, oikos trip. zero yogurt, but didn't say how many you can have. I don't want to mess up. I don't have my nut's phone # with me to ask today. Sorry, just venting. This is some hard core mental prep, for sure.

Girl yes this is hard. I'm surprised you're able to eat meat. The majority of us are on full liquids. So in my little carnal mind, I'm trying to understand why you're hungry? I would think just one yogurt, but I can't have that so idk. I would definitely give a call to find out. Best wishes.

Edited by LadyVS

4 minutes ago, LadyVS said:

Girl yes this is hard. I'm surprised you're able to eat meat. The majority of us are on full liquids. So in my little carnal mind, I'm trying to understand why you're hungry? I would think just one yogurt, but I can't have that so idk. I would definitely give a call to find out. Best wishes.

Yeah, you still get hungry. The meal isn't big. My surgeon said, even if they gave full liquids (no one meal), I wouldn't have had to adhere to it, because I lost 50 lbs of my own accord. 2 weeks full liquid must be harsh. I give you credit. I was told I can even have a meal the last day, but I may do full liquids the day before, just because that's me. Once I have my second shake (which i just did), it's a lot more tolerable. I know people that only had one day of full liquids and they get angry. I decided, on my own, to do 1 liquid meal a day, even before. I'm also very active and stuff. When I go to the gym and work out for an hour or more, I get more hungry.

We all get through it. We all need to vent.

6 hours ago, LadyVS said:

Day 1: If you saw my posts in the revision section, then you know last Monday I started my preop diet in preparation for surgery next week. However, I have been nauseated and throwing up since Wednesday. (more nauseous than vomiting) I called the doc and spoke to the nurse who said she would get back with me and hasn't yet. So I decided today I would do liquids just for Breakfast and have a small meal for lunch and supper.

Breakfast will be: coffee, Protein Shake, & Water Just as the doctor ordered.

My meals will be a meat Protein with lettuce and Tomato salad. I'm also taking gas-x strips to help move that gas out that's sitting on my stomach. 🤢

Yes, I'm feeling miserable, but I have to shrink this liver before Monday gets here.🙁

My surgeon said to me its more about low calories and low carbs than just liquids..

4 minutes ago, Cherylmilla said:

Yeah, you still get hungry. The meal isn't big. My surgeon said, even if they gave full liquids (no one meal), I wouldn't have had to adhere to it, because I lost 50 lbs of my own accord. 2 weeks full liquid must be harsh. I give you credit. I was told I can even have a meal the last day, but I may do full liquids the day before, just because that's me. Once I have my second shake (which i just did), it's a lot more tolerable. I know people that only had one day of full liquids and they get angry. I decided, on my own, to do 1 liquid meal a day, even before. I'm also very active and stuff. When I go to the gym and work out for an hour or more, I get more hungry.

We all get through it. We all need to vent.

Yes we do and that's great you lost weight on your own. I have tried, and tried, and tried again. I don't have a problem losing, my problem is staying motivated enough to keep it off. That's my problem. I do see your point. I guess I would be still hungry too. We will make it. We have done this before. Hopefully, we won't EVER again lol.

5 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

My surgeon said to me its more about low calories and low carbs than just liquids..

Really?????

34 minutes ago, LadyVS said:

Really?????

Check with your doc sweetie. I know they haven't called back, so call again. Be the squeaky wheel. Every doc is so so so diff. Don't blow your shot!

Well, I couldn't eat a second salad, nor could I finish my second Protein Shake. I'm happy that this time it won't be a problem starting full liquids on tomorrow. My doctor's office never did call me back, but they know me, if it were a major emergency, I would have been bugging the hades out of them. I probably would have even gone there yesterday morning. 😂😂😂 I know my body so what I'm feeling is gas, no question. After all, up and until now, I had been eating REALLY GOOD food. Yes I know, no carbs and stuff, but ya see, I CAN'T HELP IT!!!! I'm a food addict/junkie. But this time, I have my NUT to keep me in check. She wants to see me after the surgery so she can see how I'm doing and to keep me accountable. (I LOVE HER🤭:780_sparkling_heart:) I didn't have a NUT the first go round.

Anyhoooo......

I tried some Pickle Juice and just as I suspected, it didn't work for me. I'm still feeling 😝 bluh this morning. No vomiting though so that's a good thing. I will keep to drinking liquids and I'm going to skip out on the salad for lunch. I'm officially on the count down and I'm actually feeling nervous a little, but it's good nerves :).

Edited by LadyVS

I'm now on day 3 of my preop diet plan which is for 14 days. My surgery is Oct 28. i am to have 4 Optifast shakes a day. I can have unlimited sugar free Jello and popsicles, broths, Decaf coffee/tea with only sugar substitute (no creamer), sugar free sports drinks and of course Water. I have been staying on track thus far. I haven't cheated at all. There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I know after a day or so once I'm in ketosis I'm supposed to feel much better overall and less hungry. Today I'm just tired, mild headache, achy all over, and hungry. I was off of work today. I survived Mon and Tues Days 1&2 of the diet while at work. I didn't take my breaks in the break room, I went elsewhere to drink my shakes and eat jello. I sipped on broth like it was coffee. (LOL). I started Monday at 237 and weighted 233 today! Need to be 231 or under when I weigh in at my dietician appt which is Oct 25.

Good luck to you all on your journeys!