Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery for 70 year old female

Hello, I am 67 and just had the sleeve done on 10/9/19. I am too early in the process to share experiences because at this point I am only on full liquids. Pretty much constantly drinking and also making sure I get enough Protein. First 2 days from surgery itself was a little rough but nothing unbearable. I had to stay in hospital an extra day because I could not get enough fluids because I was so sick from the anesthesia which is something I expected from previous anesthesia. I am 5 days post op and feel great. No pain. Just tender and sore from the procedure itself. Cant lift, pull, drag etc etc for several wks. Dont worry able the age thing, it's how you feel within your self of if you should have it or not. I have high B/P , high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, COPD (from smoking too many years). My BMI was around 36. Beginning of process I was 213lbs and day of surgery 197lbs. If I didn't have those other medical conditions I wouldn't have even been consisdered a candidate for the sleeve because of my BMI. Not seeing results yet, still getting rid of the tremendous amounts of IV fluids I received in the hospital. Extra fluids should be gone in a couple more days. I hope this is some useful informative thoughts for you.

67 and surgery April 1st. Down 71 lbs and full of energy and less aches and pains. Off BP meds since 1st week. Portion Control has always been my Achilles heel and this surgery does the trick. Definitely am changing my habits. This will lengthen an active life but it isn't a magic bullet. You still have to do the work. Good luck with your decision.

Portion Control. Pasta, bread and baked sweets are my downfall. I have high BP, am prediabetic and my cholesterol level is just at the breaking point. I have chronic low back pain and sciatica. I've read all of the diet requirements post surgery so know that I have to be committed to the process. I'm ready to proceed but am meeting resistance from my family as they are convinced that at 70 I will die on the table. Thanks for your reply.

2 hours ago, SMG66 said:

I am 70 years old and considering gastric sleeve surgery. Are there any other older ladies who have had the surgery and are willing to share their experiences.

I had my surgery in July 2019, I was 67 at the time, 68 now. I have a bad hip & need a replacement. I needed to lose weight for the surgery. I have full support from my family, friends & doctors. My surgery went very well. I had very little pain. I am off of 2 of my 3 meds for Type 2 diabetes. I'm glad I had the surgery. My doctor has been trying for 2 years to get me to do it. I'm kicking myself for stalling. I'm sorry you're having pushbacks from your family. I hope they'll come around. Support makes a big difference!

67 when I had surgery. 68 now. Best thing I could ever have done. Have lost well over 100#,and mobility has improved. Blood pressure better. Surgery has helped me a lot. I do go and have B12 shots once a month and Biotin for Hair loss and nails splitting. I do exercise daily and keep,track of everything I eat or drink. I watch,protein and Fiber carefully.

6 hours ago, SMG66 said:

Portion Control. Pasta, bread and baked sweets are my downfall. I have high BP, am prediabetic and my cholesterol level is just at the breaking point. I have chronic low back pain and sciatica. I've read all of the diet requirements post surgery so know that I have to be committed to the process. I'm ready to proceed but am meeting resistance from my family as they are convinced that at 70 I will die on the table. Thanks for your reply.

I'm 61 and dealing with all of those things except sciatica. It's hard telling folk about this because of the resistance still and not understanding all of the pros and cons. Any surgery has risks, but the benefits I do believe outweigh those risks, especially at our ages. Of course you should discuss with your doctor all of the benefits as well as risk based on your own history.

I'm 61 and dealing with all of those things except sciatica. It's hard telling folk about this because of the resistance still and not understanding all of the pros and cons. Any surgery has risks, but the benefits I do believe outweigh those risks, especially at our ages. Of course you should discuss with your doctor all of the benefits as well as risk based on your own history.
67 and had my sleeve on 8/28 this year. So far everything is going great. I had to do a six month doctor weight program and as of now I have lost 95 pounds. I suffer from knee and back pain so exercise is limited. Hoping that will get better. It's the best thing I have done for myself. Good luck.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, SMG66 said:

I am 70 years old and considering gastric sleeve surgery. Are there any other older ladies who have had the surgery and are willing to share their experiences.

I was 72 and turned 73 6 weeks after the surgery. I had my surgery at the end of July and I'm down almost 50 pounds. This is the best decision ever. My knees hurt less and less each day. I am thrilled and feeling just great. You are never too old for good health.

I was 72 and turned 73 6 weeks after the surgery. I had my surgery at the end of July and I'm down almost 50 pounds. This is the best decision ever. My knees hurt less and less each day. I am thrilled and feeling just great. You are never too old for good health.
I am 65, and just made the commitment to weight loss surgery. Went yesterday for my first visit. I decided to get the sleeve. I have been overweight since childhood, and want to b happier and healthier, and enjoy life. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, blocke said:

67 and had my sleeve on 8/28 this year. So far everything is going great. I had to do a six month doctor weight program and as of now I have lost 95 pounds. I suffer from knee and back pain so exercise is limited. Hoping that will get better. It's the best thing I have done for myself. Good luck.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using BariatricPal mobile app

Great! My friend just got her date for December and she started a month before I did. I'm hoping for January!

20 hours ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

Wow! Your stats are similar to mine in height and weight! Thanks for posting -- very encouraging!

I guess that I am the oldest reporting on how I feel about this surgery....I am 79, weigh about 100 lbs more than I should and am scheduled for sleeve surgery on Oct 28th. also having a hyena hernia fixed.....I started my liquid diet this past Monday and I literally can not eat all they have on the list for me to eat....Hungry , NO. Bloated yes. I was told not to drink carbonated drinks but decided today that I would have one last diet coke from Wendy's..Probably not 3 oz in the cup with the ice but I used the straw ( a NO NO ) and I have had gas all the evening....Took a gas pill and I am still belching....and to top it all off the dag diet coke didn't even taste like the last one I had...Learn from experience , right...I started this journey on July 10th of this year and already taking Vitamins etc that I need to take.I have lost 20 lbs so far... So looking forward to the surgery and I know a new life style of eating, portions and forgetting that I do love sweets ( I hear they don't stay with you very long)...I take BP and Cholesterol medicine and hope I can come off both of them.... also pain meds for my back.....Hoping back pain will leave with the weight... I did not think the Drs would okay this surgery for me because of my age but they did...God Bless all of us and keep us on the right path before and after surgery. Sissy J, Atlanta, Ga.

3 minutes ago, SISSYJ said:

I guess that I am the oldest reporting on how I feel about this surgery....I am 79, weigh about 100 lbs more than I should and am scheduled for sleeve surgery on Oct 28th. also having a hyena hernia fixed.....I started my liquid diet this past Monday and I literally can not eat all they have on the list for me to eat....Hungry , NO. Bloated yes. I was told not to drink carbonated drinks but decided today that I would have one last diet coke from Wendy's..Probably not 3 oz in the cup with the ice but I used the straw ( a NO NO ) and I have had gas all the evening....Took a gas pill and I am still belching....and to top it all off the dag diet coke didn't even taste like the last one I had...Learn from experience , right...I started this journey on July 10th of this year and already taking Vitamins etc that I need to take.I have lost 20 lbs so far... So looking forward to the surgery and I know a new life style of eating, portions and forgetting that I do love sweets ( I hear they don't stay with you very long)...I take BP and Cholesterol medicine and hope I can come off both of them.... also pain meds for my back.....Hoping back pain will leave with the weight... I did not think the Drs would okay this surgery for me because of my age but they did...God Bless all of us and keep us on the right path before and after surgery. Sissy J, Atlanta, Ga.

Best of luck with your surgery. Would like to hear of your progress after you get the sleeve.