Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Your 20's And Had Surgery?

I was banded 4/24/07 - a month before my 29th birthday. I have never felt better. There has been rocky roads in the past 6 months, but I am finally achieving loss regular again. Discipline is your most important rule.

Hey there... i'm 25 and I'm getting the surgery in 2 days. :lol:

Hey, I am being banded on the 28th too! You getting excited yet? Man, I am just ready for this to be done. The anticipation is getting to me........

P.S. Just curious, what is your pre-op regimen/diet like? I'm on 2 slim-slow's and a healthy choice dinner/every day. I have found some Soups and things here and there that I can have to help fill me up.

I was banded two months before my 28th birthday. So far it's been great.

It is difficult to adjust when, as someone previously posted, your friends are all out "living their life" (or something similar quoted). I was initially going to keep my band quiet and not tell many people but I found my friends were more understanding than I thought they would be when I told them. I also always felt like I never fit in right because I was always the fat friend or the really good wing man at a bar. I know I've only lost 30lbs and still have a ways to go but I'm starting to feel like I fit in a little better.

I still keep going out with my friends like nothing has changed. At restaurants, I try to split a meal with a friend or I doggy bag it or I order something smaller. Makes for great leftovers! Be careful with alcohol though. You tend to get tipsy quicker. My friends are also understanding enough that when I occassionally run off to pb, they don't make a big deal about it. If the conversations switch to why you aren't eating as much, say you are full and switch the topic. Us girls can switch topics on the fly if you get a gaggle of us together talking at once. :lol:

I'm still maintaining this was a great decision for myself.

Hey, I am being banded on the 28th too! You getting excited yet? Man, I am just ready for this to be done. The anticipation is getting to me........

P.S. Just curious, what is your pre-op regimen/diet like? I'm on 2 slim-slow's and a healthy choice dinner/every day. I have found some Soups and things here and there that I can have to help fill me up.

Actually my surgery is tomorrow! (the 27th) but I have been on Clear liquids for 2 weeks... chicken broth, crystal, sug free Jello, sug free popsicles and Vitamins... it's getting hard... but I'm very excited... I have to be at the hospital tomorrow at 5:30 in the AM! yikes! I will actually be on the same liquid diet for 4 more weeks after surgery. I think my doc is a little more strict about these things I'm noticing... but I'm sure it's all for the best. Good luck to you friend! :(

Kayla

I began researching the band when I was 26. Scheduled surgery when I was 27 and had it shortly after I'd turned 28.

I'm 35 now.

I'd run back to the hospital right now to do it again!

I got my band about 2.5 months after my 27th birthday. I am so happy with my decision. Since I graduated high school (nearly 10 years now) my weight has gone up and down drastically. I have my education now, I have a great job, I'm married to the man of my dreams, I want to buy a house and have kids... my life is great... accept I was still fat and struggling.

I fugure get it while you're young! learn to live a different life, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks right? I'm looking forward to my new life ahead with the band, the ups and the downs. I know for sure that it will be better than any life I had before it. Good luck!

Believe me, you get so much tail when you lose weight!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!! IT'S LIKE THEY APPEAR OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

hahaha. Juuuuuuust kidding.

Honestly, it's been the greatest struggle and the biggest reward I could have ever expected. Given the chance to do it over again, I would do it a million times over. Good luck!!!!!

I was 23 when I was banded in July. So far, I've had a wonderful experience and I'd do it all over again if I had to. Luckily, I seem to have had a fairly easy recover, compared to a lot of people. Many people have bad gas pain or referred diaphragm pain in their shoulder. I didn't. All I had to deal with was the usual incision pain.

Thanks guys for your support and replying to my FIRST thread! It is definitely encouraging me!!! I am meeting with the surgeon on Monday to find out when my surgery date will be...

I think talking to folks in their 20's is important b/c we're all dealing with the same stuff - weight loss, a social life, jobs, relationships, etc.

Thanks again :-)

Any time you need any support... This is the place to be. There are a BUNCH of experienced bandsters on here that have had experiences to spread from one extreme to another.

Good luck on your visit with the doc. Hope you can get your band soon!

this thread is great! i'm 20 right now and will hopefully be getting banded by july with the 6 month diet my md requires. of the people i've told, half were like "yay! good for you!" and then some were like "you're so young. why not wait and try to do it on your own first?" haha. i've been going it alone since i was in like 6th grade! i mean your 20s are supposed to be the best years of your life right? why waste them being fat?

I was 21.. when i got banded... It was actually 2wks before my 22nd birthday... and am absolutely happy with it and wish i had done it when i was 16..... But im not going to lie it takes a little time to adjust to especially when you go out to eat with friends a lot...