Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 hours ago, mountaingirlCO said:

If anyone else with a similar experience has any words of wisdom to share that would be greatly appreciated.

I never had a sleeve after the band but was converted to MBG (that was a stretch as well regarding the reflux but there were reasons MGB was chosen over RNY in consent).

Talk to a surgeon about revision because of the reflux. Weight loss could be significant but doesn't has to be.

My view, if you were unsuccessful with the band, then unsuccessful with the sleeve..... what's going to be different with GB or MGB?

I’m not the OP but looking at something similar and I WAS successful with the band (lost 115 lbs and was within 15 lbs of my goal) until I had a major slip and revised to the sleeve. I never had restriction with the revision to the sleeve but managed not to gain weight for 2 years until 3 years ago when I had a hysterectomy. Now I’ve gained back 50 of my original loss and am exploring a new surgical alternative after trying many other things for the last 3 years to get back on track. Looking at GB or DS now.

17 hours ago, mountaingirlCO said:

I’m not the OP but looking at something similar and I WAS successful with the band (lost 115 lbs and was within 15 lbs of my goal) until I had a major slip and revised to the sleeve. I never had restriction with the revision to the sleeve but managed not to gain weight for 2 years until 3 years ago when I had a hysterectomy. Now I’ve gained back 50 of my original loss and am exploring a new surgical alternative after trying many other things for the last 3 years to get back on track. Looking at GB or DS now.

Congrats on the initial loss. I also had a removal due to a slip. My loss was a consistent 89lbs. After the removal, i gained 30 over the next 2.5 years. Just revised to the sleeve Aug 28th. I've lost 29lbs. I only have 1 more to get back to where i was the day the band was removed. The sleeve is all still very new.

I guess my question is, how did the hysterectomy make you gain weight? I also had that and gallbladder removal. Was it the change in your diet? quantity? hormones? These are things i'm trying to look out for. And how will the GB/DS be different from the sleeve?

I'm not wanting this to come out the wrong way as i am very interested. I turned 51 last july and started menopause this past March... ish... If there is something i can watch out for.... i'm all for it.

I had the band, with minimal results. Went to the sleeve, AWESOME RESULTS! But now 2 years out, I have unbearable acid reflux. Like burning vomit saliva misery. I just went in to see if I could get a revision to my sleeve. My endoscopy is in a week to see what is going on. I refuse to get a bypass. I like knowing a tiny little banana of stomach is still alive and well. Just saying, I am on round 3. Over a 10 year span. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app

You do realise the sleeve is most common for creating reflux and gerd so I don't think there's anything they can do to fix that without going for a different surgery but good luck.

You do realise the sleeve is most common for creating reflux and gerd so I don't think there's anything they can do to fix that without going for a different surgery but good luck.

Unfortunately, that is what I have been told. However, my surgeon recommended..... obviously after the endoscopy..... that she might be able to kind of suture my "banana" to the bottom end of my hiatal hernia area, so it won't pop through??? I'm too afraid of rerouting my intestines etc.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

I'm too afraid of rerouting my intestines etc.

For some of us with GERD (acid reflux) caused by a VSG sleeve, the alternative to re-routing intestines is Barrett's Esophagus which carries like a 1% per year risk of Esophageal cancer. Sleeves create a pressure system where acid is much more likely to spew up and out. I really wish I had done RBG in the first place vs. having to get revised to it, although I kept off my weight with the sleeve the reflux, which was new after I got it, was a miserable situation for 7 years.

Sadly, I am in this situation as well. Lap bad in 2008. Lost a good amount of weight but that was because I was sick an d non stop vomiting. Could not tolerate any restriction in the band at all. Revised to sleeve in 2014. Have battled severe reflux for years. Main reason for another revision is REFLUX. Sure, I hope to lose the rest of this weight, but if I can get some relief from constant bile and acid in my throat, this will be a success for me.

Sleeve for a year 2012 almost killed me had to RNY 2013, I am looking at the Overstrach now more for a long run touch up. I have only gained back 20, 30lbs since. Gain is easy to drop as long as I adjust my eating and working out. Don't let it worry you if you have to get a 3rd life happens.

I had a band in 09 (went from 310 to 198) it slipped 2015, got sleeved at the same time band was removed, never had restriction (lost 10 pounds), revised to rny last week. Lots of scar tissue, hernia repair. I’ll update once more time has elapsed.

I had the sleeve in Mexico in 2011 and then had a lot of acid reflux and found out my sleeve had stretched some. My insurance wouldn't pay for rny so I went back to Mexico in 2016 and was told to have the mgb. I've had even worse reflux than before and found out my esophageal sphincter doesn't close and that I need the rny to fix it. Insurance had denied me again so back to Mexico I go for revision on Feb. 3rd. Never in a million years dreamed I would need a 3rd surgery.

I had band removed in 2018 and was sleeved on 10/19. Originally the surgeon wanted to do RNY but changed his mind due to the fact that I was getting gout attacks (not diet related).

I hope that I don’t end up with reflux. So far no signs of it but I think it can develop later on...

Best wishes to you!