Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post! Hoping for January surgery!

I think I'll be a January surgery too. I've done the orientation seminar, got my PCPs approval, labs drawn and ekg, and started pre-op classes this week. I don't meet with my surgeon until October 28th because of conflict with my schedule and meet with the psychologist on the 31st. I have 3 total appointments/testing with the psychologist. My pre-op classes end the week of Thanksgiving. I'm so excited!!!! I hope to have surgery scheduled and paid for by the end of the year so that I don't have to pay the deductibles again in January. Lol I'm such an impatient person! Hopefully we'll all be January surgery buddies!!!! Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/11/2019 at 4:07 PM, Machalo said:

OOh! I hope you have great nutritionists on your team. Mine are fabulous and have already shared some hints and a great recipe for crock pot cooking of Proteins so I can freeze them in "to go" packets. I hope you also have great success in your small step changes. We can do this. That's why we're here. Right?

That's great!! I may ask you to share some of your favorite recipes when the time comes!!!

19 hours ago, andis654 said:

I think I'll be a January surgery too. I've done the orientation seminar, got my PCPs approval, labs drawn and ekg, and started pre-op classes this week. I don't meet with my surgeon until October 28th because of conflict with my schedule and meet with the psychologist on the 31st. I have 3 total appointments/testing with the psychologist. My pre-op classes end the week of Thanksgiving. I'm so excited!!!! I hope to have surgery scheduled and paid for by the end of the year so that I don't have to pay the deductibles again in January. Lol I'm such an impatient person! Hopefully we'll all be January surgery buddies!!!! Good luck to everyone!

Awesome!! You are really moving along nicely with all of the pre-op requirements! In some ways January seems so far away, but I think all of the pre-op requirements are going to keep us busy! So far I've done the initial consult, labwork, chest xray and UGI. My first nutritionist appt is tomorrow, which I'm very excited about! Psych is next week, and I still have to schedule EKG, PCP, and sleep Study.

My husband was away for work the past 2 weeks, and didn't know that I was doing any of this! LOL!! I finally told him when he got home today and he is so supportive! Made me cry!! I also told him that he is the only person who will ever know b/c I don't want to deal with negative comments from others, and he is 100% on board with keeping this just between us. He is excited to help me with this, which is making me even more excited!

Awesome!! You are really moving along nicely with all of the pre-op requirements! In some ways January seems so far away, but I think all of the pre-op requirements are going to keep us busy! So far I've done the initial consult, labwork, chest xray and UGI. My first nutritionist appt is tomorrow, which I'm very excited about! Psych is next week, and I still have to schedule EKG, PCP, and sleep Study.
My husband was away for work the past 2 weeks, and didn't know that I was doing any of this! LOL!! I finally told him when he got home today and he is so supportive! Made me cry!! I also told him that he is the only person who will ever know b/c I don't want to deal with negative comments from others, and he is 100% on board with keeping this just between us. He is excited to help me with this, which is making me even more excited!
That's awesome your husband is so supportive!!! I hear ya about the negative comments or thoughts. I've told a few people I feel closest to but I won't be telling everyone. Most of my family wont be told. My parents haven't really said anything negative but I have a pretty good feeling they're not comfortable with my decision because they don't want to talk about it at all. Good luck with your nutritionist appointment!

Had my nutrition appointment, and I'm getting more and more excited about having this surgery! For now, the plan is to eliminate soda, fast food, and by more mindful of what I'm eating. She said she'd like me to lose weight before I come back next month, even if it's just a half a pound. I obviously am hoping for more, and would love to go back next month 10lbs lighter. Also, she said they might be able to do the surgery at the end of December, before my insurance changes over, which would be amazing! We are going to talk about that more when I go back next month!

Tomorrow, I see my PCP for the EKG, then next week is the Psych, and then I'm done with testing, and just have to finish up with nutrition. It's starting to feel real!!

How is everyone else doing with their testing and appointments??

Just eliminating candies, Cookies, and chips this last week, I'm down 6 pounds. If you are able to get rid of the soda and fast food, you'll probably drop too. That is so exciting that you are that close to being able to set your date! My 4 months is regulated by my insurance who won't even look at the request for pre-auth until Jan. I'll keep good thoughts for you to be able to have surgery before end of the year. That would be so awesome!

Had my nutrition appointment, and I'm getting more and more excited about having this surgery! For now, the plan is to eliminate soda, fast food, and by more mindful of what I'm eating. She said she'd like me to lose weight before I come back next month, even if it's just a half a pound. I obviously am hoping for more, and would love to go back next month 10lbs lighter. Also, she said they might be able to do the surgery at the end of December, before my insurance changes over, which would be amazing! We are going to talk about that more when I go back next month!
Tomorrow, I see my PCP for the EKG, then next week is the Psych, and then I'm done with testing, and just have to finish up with nutrition. It's starting to feel real!!
How is everyone else doing with their testing and appointments??
Wow you are really coming along!!! Yay! So exciting! That would be so great if they can squeeze you in for a December surgery. I feel like I'm at a little standstill right now but only because I'm out of state on vacation next week so I couldn't schedule anything for that time. The week I get back (the 28th) I'll have my 1st appointment with my surgeon, my 1st psych appointment and a follow up with my PCP. So far all I have this week are my pre-op healthy lifestyles class on Wednesday. The nurse gives us goals to work on like more fluids, less carbonation, 15 minutes of mindful activity, more fruits and veggies and tracking our foods and drinks. We have a midweek check in either by phone or email. I know what you mean about it finally feeling real. After researching, reading and watching others journeys we're finally in the process too! Have a great week!!!

20 minutes ago, Machalo said:

Just eliminating candies, Cookies, and chips this last week, I'm down 6 pounds. If you are able to get rid of the soda and fast food, you'll probably drop too. That is so exciting that you are that close to being able to set your date! My 4 months is regulated by my insurance who won't even look at the request for pre-auth until Jan. I'll keep good thoughts for you to be able to have surgery before end of the year. That would be so awesome!

6lbs is a great start!!! Congratulations!! I hope to follow in your footsteps! Soda has always been my biggest problem, so I'm glad to be rid of it, and glad that post-op doesn't allow for carbonation so I won't ever be tempted to add it back in! My insurance is a 3 month wait, but my employer is switching insurance 1/1/20, so the plan was wait until then for pre-approval under the new policy. I'm tickled pink that they think they can get be in for the end of December. I just assumed the surgeon took a few weeks off for the holidays, but I guess not. I'm prepared to wait until Jan if need be, but I can't help but get a little excited about the chance to get this done in December!

17 minutes ago, andis654 said:

Wow you are really coming along!!! Yay! So exciting! That would be so great if they can squeeze you in for a December surgery. I feel like I'm at a little standstill right now but only because I'm out of state on vacation next week so I couldn't schedule anything for that time. The week I get back (the 28th) I'll have my 1st appointment with my surgeon, my 1st psych appointment and a follow up with my PCP. So far all I have this week are my pre-op healthy lifestyles class on Wednesday. The nurse gives us goals to work on like more fluids, less carbonation, 15 minutes of mindful activity, more fruits and veggies and tracking our foods and drinks. We have a midweek check in either by phone or email. I know what you mean about it finally feeling real. After researching, reading and watching others journeys we're finally in the process too! Have a great week!!!

Enjoy your vacation!!! Sounds like you have everything lined up for as soon as you get back. Will make your vacation even more fun, knowing that you are coming home to all of those appointments that will get you closer to WLS!!! It's an exciting time for all of us!

Saw my PCP today, and got my EKG done! One more thing to check off the list! LOL!!

I also lost 2 lbs! Baby steps!!

Woohoo! Celebrate that 2 pounds. That is 2 pounds you don't have to lose later. *Cheer*

Congrats on taking the first step! I just had mybsecond weigh in! Surgeon said 6 so I'm hoping for a Feb date! Good luck and perseverance to us all!

I finally got my date today, I selected January 31st. I have a range of emotions that I'm certain will surface as I get closer, right now I'm just in shock, scared, excited, nervous and ready, educating further and processing mentally. I shed a few tears of accomplishment for making it to this phase, but this is only the very beginning of a new lifestyle and mindset. I started seeing my therapist again this week to have a foundation of support as I embark upon a new journey.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, Machalo said:

Hello, I had my initial consult on Monday and now have 4 months of nutrition before I even get to meet the surgical team. Between now and then I cannot gain so much as an ounce or insurance will kick it back. So, I'm doing the next best thing and starting to modify my behaviors by cutting out most of the sugar I eat, and chips this month, adding in cutting down on soda next month, until I get to my surgical team appointment and can say I'm off soda and sugar. Has anyone else done any behavior modification while on their pre-op path?

Hi there! I have, and the gradual elimination process worked well for me. I still have to eliminate or drastically reduce my caffeine but I have managed to eliminate soda, and almost completely sugar- which if you had told me that 3 months ago I would have died laughing. Making changes in incremental steps was definitely what worked for me, and I wish you the same success! :) YOU CAN DO IT!

I hope I am there with all of you January folks, my final visit with my Dietitian is Tuesday, I have completed all of my pre-requisites (except the endoscopy which is scheduled after final clearance from my Nutrition team), and have lost the 10 pounds required by my surgeon (11 and I will keep going!)! Fingers crossed!