Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG + Hiatal Hernia Repair

I'm having my sleeve in conjunction with a hiatal hernia repair, which I've been told is very common. I'd like to hear from folks who have had this combination, particularly about your recovery & pain afterward. I'm wondering if there are more complications or pain than without the hernia repair? Any issues?

3 minutes ago, ericaL said:

I'm having my sleeve in conjunction with a hiatal hernia repair, which I've been told is very common. I'd like to hear from folks who have had this combination, particularly about your recovery & pain afterward. I'm wondering if there are more complications or pain than without the hernia repair? Any issues?

I had gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia repair May 1,2019. It wasn’t too bad. The only thing that bothered me was the gas.

4 minutes ago, ericaL said:

No issues here either having both done.

I had a repair and vsg as well. I had middle chest pain after surgery when I drank fluids the first 2 weeks. It has since gone away, and in fact, I'm not sure if that it a symptom from the vsg or the hiatal hernia repair.

Had sleeve with hiatal hernia repair as well. No pain. Had gas pain from the air they put in to see but that went away within a week or two. All and all easy recovery for me. Good luck and well wishes for a speedy recovery as you start your new beginning!

On 10/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, gabybab said:

I had a repair and vsg as well. I had middle chest pain after surgery when I drank fluids the first 2 weeks. It has since gone away, and in fact, I'm not sure if that it a symptom from the vsg or the hiatal hernia repair.

I have that pain in the middle of my chest as well, although it was much worse the first couple of days than it is now. I suspect it's related to the hiatal hernia repair.

I went in for my vsg and they found I had hiatal hernia. So they fixed it while they were already in there. The pain wasn’t bad. Had about 2 days of pain meds (mainly at night). What was the worse for me was when I was trying to swallow during the first part of my recovery. If I had a little to much at one time my chest would hurt from where they stitched the hernia. I still have to be careful with how much I swallow at once but it’s definitely not as bad as when I got my surgery done.

I am scheduled to have both done but I have not had it yet. Glad to see there are minimum issues with it.

On 10/06/2019 at 22:16, gabybab said:

I am having this right now. VSG + hiatal hernia repair surgery was 2.5 days ago. My mediastinal area (middle chest) hurts something fierce and it’s transferring to my back. It’s awful. Good to know I’m not alone in that response to it.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:50, kbee88 said:

I went in for my vsg and they found I had hiatal hernia. So they fixed it while they were already in there. The pain wasn’t bad. Had about 2 days of pain meds (mainly at night). What was the worse for me was when I was trying to swallow during the first part of my recovery. If I had a little to much at one time my chest would hurt from where they stitched the hernia. I still have to be careful with how much I swallow at once but it’s definitely not as bad as when I got my surgery done.

I’m going through this now. I’m trying to drink enough, but swallowing triggers the chest pain at what I’m assuming is the hernia repair site.😩

I had vsg, hiatal hernia repair, and gall bladder removal 5/13. There is a bit of tightness when I swallow and my throat gurgles a lot. They said I could experience some tightness when I breathe in deep from the repair too because of the swelling/healing. Nothing bad or major. I took pain meds mainly just the day of surgery and the next day. I’m very thankful to have it all taken care of together. I had heartburn every day before surgery even after having something like Cereal or nothing at all! I thought it was just because I was chubby and getting older. Didn’t realize that my stomach was trying to high tail it outta there. (Although I think being chubby contributes to getting the hernia)

@TexasHeathen did they look at your gallbladder during your endoscopy and determine you needed it out then prior to surgery? I have my endoscopy next week and am wondering if they see it during that procedure.

On 10/06/2019 at 16:19, ericaL said:

Hi! I had a hiatal hernia with my vsg too. I actually didn’t even know I had the hernia lol! My surgeon discovered it during surgery and repaired it at the same time. No real additional complications. Only difference was she really didn’t want me vomiting due to the hernia repair. I’m about 3 weeks out and so far so good! Good luck to you!!