Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained 6lbs overnight

I am hesistant to post this but its on my mind so I wanted to share. I somehow gained 6lbs between Sunday morning and Tuesday morning. Monday mornings are my usual weigh in but I missed it yesterday. As I have mentioned I do still struggle with making the right choices but I have not experienced any weight gain till this point but 6lbs was alarming. I blame the birthday cake but I had a slice not the whole cake. It was a bit of a wake up call just how quickly things can change but I will chalk this up to carb bloat.

10 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

I am hesistant to post this but its on my mind so I wanted to share. I somehow gained 6lbs between Sunday morning and Tuesday morning. Monday mornings are my usual weigh in but I missed it yesterday. As I have mentioned I do still struggle with making the right choices but I have not experienced any weight gain till this point but 6lbs was alarming. I blame the birthday cake but I had a slice not the whole cake. It was a bit of a wake up call just how quickly things can change but I will chalk this up to carb bloat.

Brent dont beat yourself up go back to your program and stay away from the cake for sure lol we all have pit falls its not the pit fall that matters it is what you do to avoid the pit fall in the future stay positive and keep working to the goal we all take side streets that do not always work out best for us stay positive and remember you got this we all love to give our advise to admit our failures or screw ups is always the hardest i know i have many failures in the backseat however will power is riding shotgun today (not saying it does not get in the back of the truck and hide sometimes)

So the thing is, life happens while we are either making plans or trying to implement those plans.

But, we're all human. We all make less than the best decisions at times.

That's why I'm so broken record about "trying" to be 100%. Cuz the reality is, no one can be 100%. Evs. And life happens where you WILL pick less than optimal choices/meals/days/weekends--no need to plan them. Cuz they WILL happen. Guaranteed.

As @VIKING 0424 the important thing is going right back to TCB.

I've found that to be true for me. After this weekend, I went in at the bottom of my weight window for maintenance and Monday morning I was at the top! So immediately on Monday, it was nope, nope, nope. I don't get to eat x,y, z today cuz I choose for today to be a no-shenanigans day. And I'm going to eat strictly to plan.

I've done that now for Mon-Wednesday and this morning I'm back to the middle of my range. And by Friday I expect to be back at the bottom of my window.

It is a 5lb range. I gained 5lbs over weekend shenanigans.

If you are in ketosis (most of us are), then 1 slice of cake will cause you to go out of ketosis temporarily and it signals your liver to fill the glycogen stores back up (reserve fuel for fight or flight--like extra rocket boosters). Each molecule of glycogen can hold 2 molecules of Water. That literally translates to anywhere from 2-4 lbs of Fluid just from the liver. Then factor in the water retention in other parts of the body and I've seen swings in people from 2-12lbs overnight. But once you stay the course, and don't spaz over it...and go back to good choices, that weight will vacate the premises once the brain/body knows it's not gonna be needed again and you use up those glycogen stores. It's not fat. It's fluid.

Edited by FluffyChix

there's no way you gained six pounds of fat in two days. It's Water. Or Constipation. Increase your fluids and get some exercise (unless you're already exercising a lot). Or if it's constipation, you know what to do. Give it a day or two, and I'll bet it will be gone.

Edited by catwoman7

6 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

If you are in ketosis (most of us are), then 1 slice of cake will cause you to go out of ketosis temporarily and it signals your liver to fill the glycogen stores back up (reserve fuel for fight or flight--like extra rocket boosters). Each molecule of glycogen can hold 2 molecules of Water. That literally translates to anywhere from 2-4 lbs of Fluid just from the liver. Then factor in the Water retention in other parts of the body and I've seen swings in people from 2-12lbs overnight. But once you stay the course, and don't spaz over it...and go back to good choices, that weight will vacate the premises once the brain/body knows it's not gonna be needed again and you use up those glycogen stores. It's not fat. It's Fluid.

Wow I didnt think of it like that and I dont really eat many carbs so this makes sense. I am able to get my wedding ring on and off and while retaining water I cannot but I follow what you are saying on water retention.

1 hour ago, Brent701 said:

Good thing only have 1 birthday a year

agree mine is today and im avoiding the cake lol

2 minutes ago, VIKING 0424 said:

Woooohooo! Congrats!!! I skipped cake too. I went for decaff sf cappuccino! It was craptastically delish with real heavy cream, frothed!

Im still the same person I was 100lbs ago. I want to eat the same foods I just hope the sleeve will keep the Portion Control in check which it has.

23 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

Im still the same person I was 100lbs ago. I want to eat the same foods I just hope the sleeve will keep the Portion Control in check which it has.

See, for me, this is key. Dr. Matthew Weiner talks about it so succinctly in this video.

It's about what naturally happens to our tools as time goes by. And it scares the hell outta me. Cuz you know, it's gonna happen to the biggest majority of us. Our tools will mature and we will be able to eat more.

So I kinda look on this time, the WLM, honeymoon period time where we DO have a good amount of restriction (or most of us do) as a time when we MUST try to change the way we relate to food and the kinds of food we choose. Cuz if you choose the right foods often enough, our body does come to preferentially want the better for us foods.

So we have to use our time to the utmost so we don't end up screwed. Face down in birthday cake 24/7/365. Cuz those types of shenanigans got me all the way to the Obesity Ball. And I don't wanna attend another one...right?

fluffy you are scared straight. You obviously are not the same person you were at your peak weight. You went from one extreme to the other and now it seems you have no balance the other way. Nothing wrong with that you are motivated by the fear of going back. Im typically motivated by results but Ive said it dozens of times and will continue to do so. Didnt get this weight by eating a slice of cake on my birthday got this way because I had zero control and ate like every day was my birthday.

10 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

got this way because I had zero control and ate like every day was my birthday.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

You don't just "change" that overnight. How do you think things are gonna be different for you once your pouch matures? How will you cope when you hit the dreaded 3rd year where you are still eating the way you were pre-surg...but are now gaining at an alarming rate cuz you can eat as much as you could pre-surgery?

(and appropos of nothing, LOL, I feel much more balanced today than I have in my life. Just cuz it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean that what I'm doing doesn't satisfy a need in my make-up. :) )

Happy birthday Viking!!!![emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] Wishing you many happy returns! Your positivity on this site has been appreciated!! Have a fantastic day!!🧡[emoji898]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

By 3 years the new habits I have formed are enough to compensate for the tool losing its effectiveness. You are implying its just going to revert back to what it was just because the tool loses its effectiveness. I know better than to ever eat anywhere near what I used to. This is a difficult discussion to have because you are at goal weight and proven and I am not.