Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op aversion to protein drinks?

I am 8 days post-op (sleeve) and I find that I can’t tolerate the Protein supplement drinks I used before surgery. I have tried both the premiere Protein Shakes and muscle milk light (lactose free). As soon as I drink them, no matter how small the swallow, I get a bubbling, gurgling, churning stomach and nausea. I have tolerated everything else on the permitted diet (including lactose) with no problems post-surgery so I don’t understand this. I’m pursuing Protein Powder alternatives but just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I can’t make sense of it. Thanks!

Yes. At first every sweet sip of a Protein Shake made me nauseous. Then I tried the injury Soups, which worked at first, but then did the same. My surgeon offered me anti nausea medication that I know take once a day, but I now have moved to the approved foods for later stages just to get some calories in- such a refried Beans, melted cheese, yogurt, eggs. I’m sure I’ll get scolded at my next appointment, but I was getting weak from not eating anything

I am four weeks Post Op - almost immediately I just could not stomach the Protein Shakes. I hate artificial sweeteners now. I have moved on to the GENEPRO Protein Powder. You can get a two serving sample from Amazon to try. I know Amazon and GNC sell it. Its tasteless and dissolves so you have no idea it in whatever you choose to add it to. I add it to Crystal Light Lemonade. I know there are some that add it to Soups and potatoes, and all sorts of things.

1 hour ago, csus99 said:

Yes. At first every sweet sip of a Protein Shake made me nauseous. Then I tried the injury Soups, which worked at first, but then did the same. My surgeon offered me anti nausea medication that I know take once a day, but I now have moved to the approved foods for later stages just to get some calories in- such a refried Beans, melted cheese, yogurt, eggs. I’m sure I’ll get scolded at my next appointment, but I was getting weak from not eating anything

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been soooo tempted to eat eggs for the same reason - weakness and malnutrition. But I have ordered some Unjury Protein powder which I’ve heard is easy to mix and I will try the injury Soups as well. Glad I’m not alone in this aversion!

33 minutes ago, Suzp said:

I am four weeks Post Op - almost immediately I just could not stomach the Protein Shakes. I hate artificial sweeteners now. I have moved on to the GENEPRO Protein Powder. You can get a two serving sample from Amazon to try. I know Amazon and GNC sell it. Its tasteless and dissolves so you have no idea it in whatever you choose to add it to. I add it to Crystal Light Lemonade. I know there are some that add it to Soups and potatoes, and all sorts of things.

Thank you for the suggestion! I have a few things I need to order on amazon so I will add GENEPRO to my cart.

Try adding Water to the shakes before you give up on them. They may simply be too concentrated for you right now. It's only been 8 days since surgery so you may have some sensitivity.

Edited by GreenTealael

3 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Try adding Water to the shakes before you give up on them. They may simply be too concentrated for you right now. It's only been 8 days since surgery so you may have some sensitivity.

Thank you. That is great advice. I will give it a try.

Try adding milk to the shakes so they are not as sweet. Fairlife milk is higher in Protein so that’s even better. You can try putting a dash of cinnamon in the vanilla flavor(pour some in a regular glass so you don’t waste a whole shake if you don’t like it. Initially I had to put ice in the shake as the colder it was the better. You can also buy protein Water (Walmart has it) it dyes has a dry after taste so I added a little water and drank it over ice.

Does not dyes

I told my husband to bring my chocolate Premier Protein shakes to work for a patient of his. It is just too much for me now. I can drink the vanilla OK though. But I did see my nutritionist today. She suggested putting crushed ice in all my drinks and in my Protein Shakes and sip on them longer. I think that might help me with thinning out the chocolate shake.

I tried a vanilla shake today (instead of chocolate) and put a ton of ice in to Water it down. It’s still not great but I am able to tolerate it and get my Protein. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

I had the same problem as you after surgery. Actually, I'm almost 2 months post op and I still cant tolerate them. I've tried so many from powders to Water base shakes and premade ones like premiere and muscle milk but they all make me nauseous. Even drinks with artificial sweeteners...

I wasn't able to get down any shakes/protein during my liquid stage. I was living off water and homemade passion fruit juice. The last time I had a shake was before surgery. My doctor told me that sometimes these kinds of things happen and we just gotta let time go by so that I could move on to the next stage and get my Protein in from food. She said the most important thing was to not get dehydrated.

Not saying to do what I did because you're going to feel weak without protein but just give it time. Things will get better. Who knows, maybe you'll have better luck than me finding a shake. :)

1 hour ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I had the same problem as you after surgery. Actually, I'm almost 2 months post op and I still cant tolerate them. I've tried so many from powders to Water base shakes and premade ones like premiere and muscle milk but they all make me nauseous. Even drinks with artificial sweeteners...

I wasn't able to get down any shakes/protein during my liquid stage. I was living off Water and homemade passion fruit juice. The last time I had a shake was before surgery. My doctor told me that sometimes these kinds of things happen and we just gotta let time go by so that I could move on to the next stage and get my Protein in from food. She said the most important thing was to not get dehydrated.

Not saying to do what I did because you're going to feel weak without Protein but just give it time. Things will get better. Who knows, maybe you'll have better luck than me finding a shake. :)

Thanks for your input! Honestly today is the last day of my liquid diet and I just got my first Protein Shake down today, with the advice of fellow sleepers above. Lol. So for most of the liquid diet I did just what you did and yes, I was very weak and tried. Tried to slip Protein Powder into yogurt and pudding wherever I could. But tomorrow I start purées foods and I’m hoping for more opportunity to get protein from foods and make shakes a thing of the past. I know our tastes may change after surgery and it seems mine definitely have! Thanks for the reassurance that I’m not alone :)