Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery dates???

On 12/24/2019 at 2:24 AM, Krimsonbutterflies said:

Congratulations and what a beautiful gift for the holidays. Thank you for the update, I admire those who are able to prepare a lengthy comprehensive update on the surgery, personal awareness and etc. Darn Rockstars!!!!

@Krimsonbutterflies thank you for the kind words. I'm on day 3 now and have been able to get all my meds and Vitamins down with no troubles. I made a written med/vit schedule to keep me on track. I wear my binder the hospital gave me under my shirt and it makes my abdomen feel more protected. Still have some gas in my shoulder area. I am reaching the 64oz Fluid limit since day 1. Even asked the Bari coordinator if It was supposed to be easy to drink Water normally, not even sip sizes. She said it was fine as long as I didnt feel fullness or pressure. I wait 5 mins between just to make sure the last sip is ok. I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones, but if your struggling to reach your goals, remember its baby steps and each day does get better. Stick to your program recommendations and rest and your gonna do great!

2 hours ago, cajunredpanda said:

It's day 15, so I finally get to eat purees per my post op diet! I might try diluted refried Beans as my first attempt. That or a scrambled egg. Probably have it later tonight because even pre op my stomach was always uneasy early in the morning, so I often just had a Protein Shake or a banana and milk for Breakfast just to have something in my stomach.

Having to drink a Protein shake while the rest of my family ate steak and potatoes for Christmas dinner was rough, man. My stomach is still meh on food but I do have some head hunger now. Not as bad as before, but it's present. Could be more me looking forward to solids than anything. Protein Shakes are doable, but boring. (Note: my sense of smell has been off half the time since surgery. Sometimes way off. My mom made Christmas Cookies the other day and I thought she was making beef stroganoff XD On the other end, I could smell the steaks just fine and holy cow, they smelled amazing.)

I'm still not hitting my 500 calorie goal, but am consistently hitting Protein and hydration goals. I've been averaging 60 grams of protein and at least 72 oz of Water. I'm also getting closer to my calorie goal at 400-425 calories a day. I've been drinking two protein shakes plus a small glass of milk most days. I can't do broth on its own anymore.

@cajunredpanda, hello, I am 16 days post op and today I tried the soft scrambled egg with pinch of low-fat cheese, went down well! Just waiting to have my Decaf coffee. I have like you gotten over the broth on its own and I am struggling to get my protein in due to I am sick of them as well. I have been doing the Unjury Protein Drinks which I can tolerate the ready mix ones but to mix on my own, blahhhh! I am getting in 64 oz of Water in daily with no trouble trying to shoot for more, yesterday I had 2 Tbsp of pureed hashbrown casserole, today I am going to puree some ham and english peas and store in small containers to eat later. I am realling going to focus on getting in my protein. Again, I can pretty much tolerate the ready made unjury Protein Shakes, I purchased some premier caramel ones and they are to overwhelming with the caramel taste, blahhhh LOLOL, so I purchased the Cookies and cream premier shakes and they too are overwhelming with the taste. I guess they are really just to sweet tasting! Good luck on your trial today and hope all goes well! Have a great day!

How many ounces are you having per pureed meal ? I had 4oz of pureed Beef Stew for Breakfast and it feels ok. Is that too much ?

@Billy Bob, Happy post Christmas Day, LOLOL My dietician informed me to eat 3 Tbsp 3 x per day, but I have been putting my pureed food in those plastic 4 oz cups with a lid and I usually eat most of it, probably with a bite or two left in the container and I discard it! Hope that helped! I noticed you had the sleeve and I had the RNY so, you may be able to tolerate a little more than I have not sure!

Edited by Quinnmedicinewoman52

8 hours ago, JB1 said:

@chubrub Congrats! I'm glad your feeling better and doing better with the N/V. Did you have weight gain at first? I'm po day 3 and I'm 6#s up! RN stated it was normal since they pump you full of IV Fluid to prevent dehydration once your home. But it was a bit disappointing to see the scale go up not down.

I gained 10lbs from the IV fluids!! Peed my brains out for the next 4-5 days and the weight flew back off! Good luck!!

4 hours ago, ChubRub said:

I gained 10lbs from the IV fluids!! Peed my brains out for the next 4-5 days and the weight flew back off! Good luck!!

Wow, I feel better now. Thanks. 😊

This reminded me of waking up in the hospital soak and wet. My iv had a leak, so I didn’t get near the fluids I probably should have.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:55 AM, cajunredpanda said:

It's day 15, so I finally get to eat purees per my post op diet! I might try diluted refried Beans as my first attempt. That or a scrambled egg. Probably have it later tonight because even pre op my stomach was always uneasy early in the morning, so I often just had a Protein Shake or a banana and milk for Breakfast just to have something in my stomach.

Having to drink a Protein shake while the rest of my family ate steak and potatoes for Christmas dinner was rough, man. My stomach is still meh on food but I do have some head hunger now. Not as bad as before, but it's present. Could be more me looking forward to solids than anything. Protein Shakes are doable, but boring. (Note: my sense of smell has been off half the time since surgery. Sometimes way off. My mom made Christmas Cookies the other day and I thought she was making beef stroganoff XD On the other end, I could smell the steaks just fine and holy cow, they smelled amazing.)

I'm still not hitting my 500 calorie goal, but am consistently hitting Protein and hydration goals. I've been averaging 60 grams of protein and at least 72 oz of Water. I'm also getting closer to my calorie goal at 400-425 calories a day. I've been drinking two protein shakes plus a small glass of milk most days. I can't do broth on its own anymore.

Wow you are doing great! I'm 11 days out and can't hit 64oz of fluids. I hit it only 2x. Otherwise I'm about 48-50oz. As far as protein, I can only get in about 20g and that's 1 Protein Drink which takes me a couple hours to finish. I have only been doing Water, or cucumber/lemon infused water. I talked to the office today as a phone check in and she said to just keep trying on focusing on water first before protein. You are rocking it though!

On 12/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, Billy Bob said:

How many ounces are you having per pureed meal ? I had 4oz of pureed Beef Stew for Breakfast and it feels ok. Is that too much ?

I think it varies per person. I was told to do 2-3oz per meal but I can't even get down 1oz sometimes. I'm 11 days post op. As long as you are not having any pain or discomfort I wouldn't worry.

Hello All!

10 days post op, and feeling better and better each day. Nausea and pain are minimal, and fatigue is improving. I could still go for a nap this afternoon though! When I go up the stairs, my legs feel so heavy, and I'm easily worn out. Guess I'm still somewhat weak from the surgery and lack of calories.

Sent my husband to the supermarket to get some Triple Zero greek yogurt, as I need a little something new to break up the monotony of thick liquids! Looking forward to trying it!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Been a little quiet in here, and I'm guessing many recent post-ops are still having some pain/nausea and are too fatigued to post. Hang in there, as it will get better soon!!!

22 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

Hello All!

10 days post op, and feeling better and better each day. Nausea and pain are minimal, and fatigue is improving. I could still go for a nap this afternoon though! When I go up the stairs, my legs feel so heavy, and I'm easily worn out. Guess I'm still somewhat weak from the surgery and lack of calories.

Sent my husband to the supermarket to get some Triple Zero greek yogurt, as I need a little something new to break up the monotony of thick liquids! Looking forward to trying it!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Been a little quiet in here, and I'm guessing many recent post-ops are still having some pain/nausea and are too fatigued to post. Hang in there, as it will get better soon!!!

Hi surgery twin! Today is the first day that I actually feel human again. Well let me take that back, I felt great the day after surgery, then downhill after that. My main complaint was that I felt so weak. I’m having a hard time getting my Protein in, so I guess that’s the main problem. My nurse advises to get in as much as I can, but to focus on Water right now. I’m doing great with water. It seems to be the only thing I want. Not hungry at all, which I’m thankful for. So glad I found out that the hunger I thought I was having was actually gas. That mad all the difference.

Glad you are feeling better. Glad we are both feeling better. 😊 Looking forward to this journey!

11 minutes ago, msbest2u said:

Hi surgery twin! Today is the first day that I actually feel human again. Well let me take that back, I felt great the day after surgery, then downhill after that. My main complaint was that I felt so weak. I’m having a hard time getting my Protein in, so I guess that’s the main problem. My nurse advises to get in as much as I can, but to focus on Water right now. I’m doing great with Water. It seems to be the only thing I want. Not hungry at all, which I’m thankful for. So glad I found out that the hunger I thought I was having was actually gas. That mad all the difference.

Glad you are feeling better. Glad we are both feeling better. 😊 Looking forward to this journey!

I was the same way! Felt great right after surgery, then fatigue and weakness kicked in and I slept for a week! LOL!! Glad that we are both on the mend!

December 18th in New Jersey

It is pretty quiet in here! Hope that means everyone is doing good and feeling pretty “normal”!!

I’m feeling like time is dragging lol. I have another week of full liquids and the purees/soft foods for 3 weeks..that seems so long lol. I’ve been looking up recipes/meal ideas so I can be prepared to go back to work in a couple of weeks.

I do still need/enjoy 1 nap a day but I’m also not sleeping all throughout the night. I ended up with a cold and sore throat that keeps me these last few days.

Had 1 episode with nausea because I took my chewable Vitamin first thing in the morning on an empty stomach..thank God for Zofran. I ordered some vitamin matches because my chewable is so gross. Hopefully I like the patches!

Hope everyone is doing well!