Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery dates???

I had my 10 day follow up appointment today. Down 16 pounds! The nurse practitioner removed my surgical coverings, said everything looked great. Main concern I had for her was that I had a vertigo episode on my staircase this morning. She said that since I was getting in 64 or more ounces of Fluid a day that it was probably from a lack of calories. I'm supposed to get up to 500 a day by next week, but have only been able to get in 300 or so in the past couple days. I haven't been very hungry and have had to work my way up to two Protein Shakes plus other things like sugar free popsicles a day. I got 425 calories in today, plus reached my minimum Protein goal for the first time today. I know I'll get there.

1 minute ago, cajunredpanda said:

I had my 10 day follow up appointment today. Down 16 pounds! The nurse practitioner removed my surgical coverings, said everything looked great. Main concern I had for her was that I had a vertigo episode on my staircase this morning. She said that since I was getting in 64 or more ounces of Fluid a day that it was probably from a lack of calories. I'm supposed to get up to 500 a day by next week, but have only been able to get in 300 or so in the past couple days. I haven't been very hungry and have had to work my way up to two Protein Shakes plus other things like sugar free popsicles a day. I got 425 calories in today, plus reached my minimum Protein goal for the first time today. I know I'll get there.

Yeah for you! Keep trying and slowly stand up, preferably with suport your gonna get there. How are you feeling this far out? Is everyone driving by this time? Any Lifting restrictions? My program, Dr. didnt mention either preop. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JB1 said:

Yeah for you! Keep trying and slowly stand up, preferably with suport your gonna get there. How are you feeling this far out? Is everyone driving by this time? Any Lifting restrictions? My program, Dr. didnt mention either preop. Thanks.

I had my first walk at the park earlier this week (I think 6 days post op). I used a cane and went slow. Other than the vertigo episode I've been feeling good. I can't drive but the surgeon said that as long as I'm not using the liquid hydrocodone he prescribed then I should be able to drive. I cannot lift more than 20 pounds at a time, can't do a lot of abdominal movements, and can't walk my dog for two weeks. I just finally managed to sleep on my side again today; otherwise the incisions on one side of my stomach hurt horribly and it felt like my guts just fell onto my left side.

On 12/20/2019 at 22:42, JB1 said:

@fitnessRN19 Congratulations, glad you are doing great! Best of luck when you get home. I hope I do as well Monday. Hearing of how well everyone is doing post op gives me hope that mine will be tolerable and I'll be able to return to work quickly.

Thank you!!! Good luck Monday! Definitely keep up on the pain medication. The worst part is turning to get out of bed. You don’t realize how much you use your core just to bend your legs lol. You’ve got this!!! Walking is honestly what feels best for me rather than lying in bed.

Hi everyone, hope you are having a speedy recovery. I got sleeved on 12/10. I had started a pre liquid diet 2 weeks prior surgery 12/26. Soo no I didn’t have thanksgiving meal. I did cheated a few time in my pre op diet but very little and lost 10 pounds. After the sleeve I have to continue the liquid diet for another 3 weeks. I have not cheated at all since post op and eating very little. I have some energy now to run errands, play more with my daughter and do some chores around the house. I struggle with drinking all day since I get full quickly. I’m just soooo annoyed about the liquids already. Got to the point that I no longer enjoy the diet Snapple or G zero which I used to. The shakes are getting boring. The broths are okay but my Protein won’t dissolve in it 😭. What are you guys eating in the liquid post op? I need some new ideas. Thanks

p.s I still have about a week and half before puree food. Highest weight 259. Surgery date weight 240. Current weight 229. Everything else is fine. No pain in my incisions, minimal gas pain and swelling is down.

On 12/20/2019 at 18:49, JediMom said:

I haven't had a bowel movement and will be doing Miralax tomorrow. My husband has to go into work and my daughter has ballet so I'll have to take her. She's 5 and is able to get in and out of her carseat by herself. I was told no lifting more than 20lbs for 6 weeks. I'm sure I'll be exhausted after her ballet class it's 1.5hrs long. I want to go out shopping once my husband gets home.

Fluids yesterday were not good for me and I felt it in the morning. Today I'm doing much better with my liquids. Hubby bought me some sugar free blueberry yogurt. I had 4 oz total today and mixed in some unflavored Protein Powder. I also had about 4oz of Decaf coffee mixed with a little french vanilla Premier Protein and a 1/2 tsp of sugar free pudding. That tasted so yummy and not sweet at all to me. Later tonight I plan on some cream of mushroom and will try and mix some of the Protein powder into it. I have this horrible gas bubble in the middle of my chest that won't go away. I've gone up and down my stairs a few times and walked in the house. I just took some gas-x to see if I can get rid of it. I'm belching and passing gas so at least some of it is coming out.

How was today for everyone else?

Did you try the Miralax yet? I’ve had it the last 3 days but only went today and day before yesterday. Hope it helps you!

I cannot get past this one incision area hurting me. It hurts to move, sit up, bend, cough. I know it’s the biggest one but sheesh. I got a little light headed this morning after struggling to get out of bed I think it just hurt too much. Nothing else is bothering me though so I just want that area to get better!! I’ve been taking pics of it to make sure nothing is changing/pussing/turning red. I’m washing the area with dial soap to make sure it’s clean.

I made it to my daughters dr appt yesterday and the auto car wash but didn’t attempt the grocery store. Hubs is home so we’re going today.

How was ballet? Take a nap before going shopping! I was completely exhausted after my couple of errands yesterday.

I’m gonna try the coffee with Protein Shake today, sounds so satisfying lol

On 12/20/2019 at 21:49, cajunredpanda said:

Hey now! That’s awesome! You’re doing great. I’m only 5 days post op but I already know trying to reach that calorie goal will be a little difficult initially..or even counting the calories in general. Maybe cream of wheat with a scoop of Protein for Breakfast? I think I can have that during week 2 😬

Hello All! I'm 3 days post-op, and am feeling good. Pain is pretty well controlled with Percocet, but I can definitely feel when I'm due for another pill, as the pain comes back on pretty strong. Hardest part is being around people who don't know about my WLS, b/c I have to act normal, walk normal, etc. That's when I tend to overdo it, and pay the price later!

Still on Clear Liquids, and am only able to get in about 20-25 ounces. My urine is pretty clear though, so I know I'm not dehydrated. Need to keep pushing the clears, so that I can work my way to thick liquids soon! I've definitely noticed a change in my taste buds, as I can't stand the taste of toothpaste, and need to dilute crystal light with Water, and even then it's still too sweet.

I was up 10lbs after surgery, and am now only up 2 lbs, so the IV fluids are starting to flush out!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Ugh I think my nerve block wore off :( much more pain than last night. Here’s to hoping my pills work soon

2 minutes ago, fitnessRN19 said:

Ugh I think my nerve block wore off :( much more pain than last night. Here’s to hoping my pills work soon

So sorry! Fingers crossed the pain pills give you some relief!

On 12/21/2019 at 14:40, ChubRub said:

Hello All! I'm 3 days post-op, and am feeling good. Pain is pretty well controlled with Percocet, but I can definitely feel when I'm due for another pill, as the pain comes back on pretty strong. Hardest part is being around people who don't know about my WLS, b/c I have to act normal, walk normal, etc. That's when I tend to overdo it, and pay the price later!

Still on Clear Liquids, and am only able to get in about 20-25 ounces. My urine is pretty clear though, so I know I'm not dehydrated. Need to keep pushing the clears, so that I can work my way to thick liquids soon! I've definitely noticed a change in my taste buds, as I can't stand the taste of toothpaste, and need to dilute crystal light with Water, and even then it's still too sweet.

I was up 10lbs after surgery, and am now only up 2 lbs, so the IV fluids are starting to flush out!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I agree with lots of things being super sweet! Even plain bottles Water has a sweetness to me right now 😩. I’m only drinking water, Protein water occasionally, broth and Gatorade zero. Tomorrow I can add in more things like cream of wheat, sugar free yogurt and pudding, and milk..so excited lol. I was slightly dehydrated in the hospital but the made that was better before discharge and the Gatorade zeros have really helped me. I just used the first week to really focus on fluids. Sipping is hard for me, I bought crushed ice because that really helped

I had my pre-op appointment on Friday and I do not have to do a liquid diet which I am excited about. I admit the last week or so I've been pretty bad eating foods because I didn't think I'd be able to again (I fully expected my doctor to put me on liquids at my pre-op). However, I know I need to buckle down and be good for the next 10 days. Otherwise, I think it'll be even harder after the surgery.

Goals between now & surgery:

- Vitamins every day

- 90+ oz Fluid everyday

- 80-90 G Protein everyday

- Eat on track. I will allow myself 2 meals that aren't on track with my favorite foods I won't be able to have for a while. Indian and mexican.

5 days post op, and am down 6lbs so far. I'll take it! LOL!! Still on Clear Liquids, and sugar free Italian Water Ice, is my favorite right now. I tried to have a thick liquid yesterday (creamy soup) and afterwards I felt nauseated with a bad headache, so I'm sticking to clear for a few more days.

Not much pain, but man am I fatigued! I've been averaging 2-3 naps per day, and am going to bed around 8pm! The naps do feel great though!!!

Hope everyone is doing well! Keep up the great work!!

I am December 2 at Kaiser Northern California. I thought I would have to go on a liquid diet but Kaiser doesn’t require that - they let you eat up to 8 hours prior to surgery! They said it is easier for the body to heal after surgery. Definitely thankful.
I like that. If I had it to do over again I would ask my doctor if there's truly evidence that the pre-op liquid diet has any benefit. Or if maybe even it's vice-versa, like Kaiser says.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app