Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine 2 days in a row

Just 6 weeks out and away on vacation. Had wine 2 nights in a row but out the kabosh on that today. I have been beating myself up about it sabotaging my weight loss. I weigh myself only once a week so I will see Wednesday how much damage I did. Just can't get it out of my head. Anyone else experience this ?

I was told no alcohol for 6 months. Couldn't even have on on my birthday.

I was told no wine either, which is why I'm beating myself up

You probably didn't do a lot of damage to your weight loss, but the reason for no alcohol is to prevent tissue damage to the surgical sites. Alcohol can cause erosions and ulcerations - even years later. I know everyone makes their own decisions, but personally, I think it is best to avoid alcohol forever after WLS. I am a GI nurse and the worst ulcers I have ever seen are in WLS patients who started drinking again. It is pretty horrible. These tissues seem to remain fragile forever, and we need to do all we can to take care of them.

I gave up sugar because I don't want dumping. I gave up coffee and alcohol because I don't want ulcers. Gave up soda, as I already had fatty liver disease, and soda contributes to it (diet as well as regular.) Gave up simple carbs because I don't want to be fat! BUT...... got a whole new life that is so precious and worth taking care of.

Thank you for all the info, I will be mindful of this for sure. My team allowed us to have coffee even in the hospital and I questioned it on my first post up visit thinking maybe it was Decaf however they said no it was regular and it was fine I look forward to my morning cup and sometimes on in the afternoon. Should I be cutting that out ?

19 hours ago, Lbtnew said:

Thank you for all the info, I will be mindful of this for sure. My team allowed us to have coffee even in the hospital and I questioned it on my first post up visit thinking maybe it was Decaf however they said no it was regular and it was fine I look forward to my morning cup and sometimes on in the afternoon. Should I be cutting that out ?

I cut coffee to reduce acid. I already had Barretts esophagitis and precancerous polyp due to GERD.

7 hours ago, 12345shs16 said:

I was allowed wine after 6 weeks. My doctor is pretty liberal tho

Any problems? How much and how often have you had it and did it hinder your weight loss at all ?

On 09/29/2019 at 23:42, AZhiker said:

You probably didn't do a lot of damage to your weight loss, but the reason for no alcohol is to prevent tissue damage to the surgical sites. Alcohol can cause erosions and ulcerations - even years later. I know everyone makes their own decisions, but personally, I think it is best to avoid alcohol forever after WLS. I am a GI nurse and the worst ulcers I have ever seen are in WLS patients who started drinking again. It is pretty horrible. These tissues seem to remain fragile forever, and we need to do all we can to take care of them.

I gave up sugar because I don't want dumping. I gave up coffee and alcohol because I don't want ulcers. Gave up soda, as I already had fatty liver disease, and soda contributes to it (diet as well as regular.) Gave up simple carbs because I don't want to be fat! BUT...... got a whole new life that is so precious and worth taking care of.

What is your experience with caffeine from tea? I am 8 months out and had maybe 2 oz of coffee with some milk for the first time. I was really tired and don’t plan on doing that regularly but I would like to have tea this winter. In your experience was the alcohol causing the ulcers from regular drinking? I would like to have a small glass of wine a few times a year but not tempted to even try it yet.

40 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

What is your experience with caffeine from tea? I am 8 months out and had maybe 2 oz of coffee with some milk for the first time. I was really tired and don’t plan on doing that regularly but I would like to have tea this winter. In your experience was the alcohol causing the ulcers from regular drinking? I would like to have a small glass of wine a few times a year but not tempted to even try it yet.

I try to stick with Decaf tea. Here is the reason. I used to be a huge coffee drinker. When I gave up sugar and caffeine, my energy levels stabilized and evened out unbelievably. No need for the morning wake up cup, no afternoon slump. Just really level throughout the day. It made me see how addictive both substances are, but also how much caffeine really is a drug in a sense. I like feeling energetic WITHOUT needing caffeine. I do have a regular tea in the mornings sometimes, especially the chai flavored ones, but then it is Water for the rest of the day and herbal chamomile in the evenings.

Every drink of alcohol damages tissue. Period. Once someone is down the road a bit, and the tissues are completely healed, a little wine with a meal once in a while probably won't do anything significant. Regular intake is dangerous, in my opinion, for the damage it can cause, and also the possibility of transfer addiction. Again, I don't want to NEED anything. After having no wine or alcohol for so long, I don't miss it at all. I realize the only reason I liked it was for the sweet aspect, going back to sugar. Alcohol also has a lot of empty calories. I can see no reason to drink again (for me). It has absolutely no nutritional benefit - (at least none that can't be derived from fresh food), and only the possibility of harm.

I am trying to make my eating as clean and nutritionally dense as possible. Alcohol doesn't tick the boxes.

On 10/04/2019 at 07:35, Lbtnew said:

Any problems? How much and how often have you had it and did it hinder your weight loss at all ?

Nope, but I don’t go overboard. I did get drunk, and very hungover. I’ve drank prob 6 times, sometimes just a glass of wine, and some 3. I’m still in grad school, so it’s part of the culture.

Also, this isn’t to you, but others reading lol, yes I know there are other activities I could do with friends, but right now I’m happy, and losing weight, and my doctor is fine with it!

19 hours ago, 12345shs16 said:

Nope, but I don’t go overboard. I did get drunk, and very hungover. I’ve drank prob 6 times, sometimes just a glass of wine, and some 3. I’m still in grad school, so it’s part of the culture.

Also, this isn’t to you, but others reading lol, yes I know there are other activities I could do with friends, but right now I’m happy, and losing weight, and my doctor is fine with it!

Thank you for sharing. I had been feeling so guilty but you all make me feel better. I was visiting my daughter out of state who just broke off a wedding engagement and we had some mother daughter wine, I am going on a girls weekend in November and would like to have a guilt free glass or 2