Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medications after surgery?????? Please advise

So when I went to my doctor the other day I was informed that when I am discharged from the hospital I will be sent home with 3 medications. One for pain, one for nausea and preloaded injections that I will have to give myself in my stomach to prevent blood clots for 10 days following surgery. Has anyone else had these injections?????? I'm freaking out since hearing that. I hate needles. Mind you I have several tattoos. Lol. Medical needles are just different especially if I have to give them to MYSELF.....😭😩🤯😱🤪

I had those in the hospital, but I don't think I had to do them at home. As I recall, those don't really hurt that much, though. The needles are pretty short.

14 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I had those in the hospital, but I don't think I had to do them at home. As I recall, those don't really hurt that much, though. The needles are pretty short.

I hope your memory serves you correct and they don't hurt that much not that I have much of a choice. I have to do those for 10 days regardless. Thank you for your response 😊

Not a big deal. They just go into the chubby area on your tummy - under the skin. I wish I HAD gotten them, as I developed blood clots after surgery.

31 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Not a big deal. They just go into the chubby area on your tummy - under the skin. I wish I HAD gotten them, as I developed blood clots after surgery.

Oh my so sorry to hear you had blood clots after surgery. How did you find out that you had them? My friend is a nurse and she said she will stop by and give me the shot if I'm too much of a baby to give it to myself lol.

Blood thinner probably! I didn't have to have it post op at home, but I did get two doses in the hospital. Once pre-op, one the next day. I still have very faint bruising left in those 2 spots 3 1/2 weeks later! Almost gone though. And yes, they go in the fatty part of the belly with a tiny needle. Not as intimidating as most shots! Have you ever seen an insulin needle? More along those terms instead of the big shots/longer needles that people are used to seeing and receiving.

22 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Blood thinner probably! I didn't have to have it post op at home, but I did get two doses in the hospital. Once pre-op, one the next day. I still have very faint bruising left in those 2 spots 3 1/2 weeks later! Almost gone though. And yes, they go in the fatty part of the belly with a tiny needle. Not as intimidating as most shots! Have you ever seen an insulin needle? More along those terms instead of the big shots/longer needles that people are used to seeing and receiving.

Yes that's exactly what it is. My aunt who is diabetic said the same thing about needle size. I hope so. Still not looking forward to having to inject myself rather swallow a pill. Lol. It is what it is I guess. Just part of the journey. Thank you for your response....

I had them for two weeks after surgery. It's kind of freaky at first, but you get over it.

26 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I had them for two weeks after surgery. It's kind of freaky at first, but you get over it.

I'm sure you do especially since you dont have a choice lol. Thank you for the reply

10 hours ago, Linda72 said:

Oh my so sorry to hear you had blood clots after surgery. How did you find out that you had them? My friend is a nurse and she said she will stop by and give me the shot if I'm too much of a baby to give it to myself lol.

I had the heparin injections in the hospital, but my doc does not require follow up anticoagulation unless there is an underlying problem. A week or so after surgery a couple of the superficial varicose veins in my legs got swollen and very painful. I didn't think it was a big deal and went in for my regular 2 week post op appointment. Doc sent me in right away for a doppler of my legs and turned out I had 3 deep veins that were also affected. The superficial ones were just the tip of the ice berg. So I had to go on Xarelto for several months and see a hematologist. Any future surgeries will require me to be on anticoagulation since this is now part of my history,

I did all the right things - walked the halls right after surgery and was actually up to 10,000 steps a day by the end of the first week. I did my leg exercises and kept moving, but it just happens sometimes. Wish I had been given the Lovenox injections for 10 days!

As others have said, the needle is very small and short. The injection only goes under the skin into the fatty tissue. They really do not hurt. It's great you have a nurse friend who can maybe guide you through the first couple. After that you will be fine.

13 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I had the heparin injections in the hospital, but my doc does not require follow up anticoagulation unless there is an underlying problem. A week or so after surgery a couple of the superficial varicose veins in my legs got swollen and very painful. I didn't think it was a big deal and went in for my regular 2 week post op appointment. Doc sent me in right away for a doppler of my legs and turned out I had 3 deep veins that were also affected. The superficial ones were just the tip of the ice berg. So I had to go on Xarelto for several months and see a hematologist. Any future surgeries will require me to be on anticoagulation since this is now part of my history,

I did all the right things - walked the halls right after surgery and was actually up to 10,000 steps a day by the end of the first week. I did my leg exercises and kept moving, but it just happens sometimes. Wish I had been given the Lovenox injections for 10 days!

As others have said, the needle is very small and short. The injection only goes under the skin into the fatty tissue. They really do not hurt. It's great you have a nurse friend who can maybe guide you through the first couple. After that you will be fine.

Wow that's scary. After hearing your story I'm glad I'm getting the injections. You've made me look at it completely different. Thank you for sharing your story

Those injections can save your life. Just like Insulin shots . I did it twice after hip replacement and will request it again if not offered after VSG. Normal post op meds. DO IT ! lol

2 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Those injections can save your life. Just like Insulin shots . I did it twice after hip replacement and will request it again if not offered after VSG. Normal post op meds. DO IT ! lol

Ok ok lol. Actually I dont have a choice my surgeon says its mandatory.

I had surgery on 10/2/19 and received injections in the hospital. I have a 2 week prescription of it now that I’m home. I doesn’t hurt too much to administer. I have a very strong family history. Blood clots can kill you, so I was relieved to have coverage for 2 weeks.

13 minutes ago, LastChance57 said:

I had surgery on 10/2/19 and received injections in the hospital. I have a 2 week prescription of it now that I’m home. I doesn’t hurt too much to administer. I have a very strong family history. Blood clots can kill you, so I was relieved to have coverage for

Happy to hear that you are done with your surgery. Hope you have a quick recovery. Thank you for your response.