Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Go to YouTube and watch Dr. Matthew Weiner's WLS stuff. Lots of really good information - everything from which surgery to choose, diets in various stages, how to maintain. Every surgeon has their own take on how they like to advance diets, and you still have to do what your doctor says, but I found his information to be very helpful when I was in the preop stage, even when I was trying to decide if WLS was an option for me.

Go to YouTube and watch Dr. Matthew Weiner's WLS stuff. Lots of really good information - everything from which surgery to choose, diets in various stages, how to maintain. Every surgeon has their own take on how they like to advance diets, and you still have to do what your doctor says, but I found his information to be very helpful when I was in the preop stage, even when I was trying to decide if WLS was an option for me.

Thanks I will

3 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Go to YouTube and watch Dr. Matthew Weiner's WLS stuff.

I second this. It was one of our incredible veterans...like AZHiker, GreenTealael, FluffyChix, Orchids&Dragons (sorry for all of the other super veterans that my mind is blanking on!) that recommended not only Dr. Weiner's youtube videos (which are great) but other wonderful tips as well.

I can't remember if we already directed you to it, but when looking for more info and resources such as Dr. Weiner's youtube videos, do a search for a topic FluffyChix started a while ago and read from the start - it is about "The Importance of doing the headwork".

Not sure if linking the topic here will work or not but I'll give it a try..lol.

Edited by KarenLR75

On 09/28/2019 at 23:19, Mikeyy said:

Sounds like you really need to take advantage of psychological help to deal with the triggers and emotional issues that result in food addiction.

I would not bother with surgery until you are ready and prepared.

It is a lot of pain to go through if you're not fully committed. You need to be ready to change everything you've been taught and start a whole new way of life.

This!!!

1. Get a therapist specializing in food addictions. Bonus points if you can find one who has had WLS. Whatever resources you spend on the therapist will be paid back at least ten-fold in future benefits.
2. Check out any podcast, YouTube video, news articles,book, ,etc you can find concerning WLS.
I did research for almost 6 full months (including going to a couple of support group meetings) BEFORE I decided this was the route for me. I’m convinced all of my prep work led to the success I’m having now.
3. Check out threads like Fluffy’s headwork thread, the monthly challenge threads (don’t have to have already had surgery to participate), the IF thread (for ideas on how to use eating intervals to challenge yourself currently) and any thread that looks to have a fair amount of newbies and veterans posting.
You can learn a LOT just by reading and taking in some of the lessons here.
4. Don’t give up on yourself. You have to be your biggest fan: your family can’t do it, your doctors can’t do it, none of us can do it. You have to find your “why” and it has to be bigger than any perceived love of food.

Good luck with your journey.
We’re here for you, but the hard work MUST start with you.

As someone else mentioned, I know my program only requires 1 visit with BH team.but they made it very clear during that visit that their door was open any time I was having difficulty and needed to talk. They also moderate our support group 2x a month and offer lots of tips and tricks there and get us to talk about the tough issues that get us here and how that can impact our success post op.

That said, you also don't need to feel that you need to rush the process. Due to work issues I had to delay the surgery by 4 months. I used that time to start making the big changes I will need later before surgery. I feel that I was more prepared because I took that time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

As someone else mentioned, I know my program only requires 1 visit with BH team.but they made it very clear during that visit that their door was open any time I was having difficulty and needed to talk. They also moderate our support group 2x a month and offer lots of tips and tricks there and get us to talk about the tough issues that get us here and how that can impact our success post op.

That said, you also don't need to feel that you need to rush the process. Due to work issues I had to delay the surgery by 4 months. I used that time to start making the big changes I will need later before surgery. I feel that I was more prepared because I took that time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for sharing and i do believe i need more time but my surgery was rescheduled once already so idk.

Hello everyone I'm new here I'm supposed to be having gastric bypass surgery done soon but I don't know if i should. Because I am a food addict and I fear I will regain. Started looking into wls over a year ago n actually gain about 20lbs!!! Why do something if you're are going to fail right? I don't want to have my intestine rerouted to lose weight then gain it back like people on here. I need to loose a 100 pounds. Im over 230lbs scary
I need help.
I know I'm a food addict.

I enjoy food as well if not i wouldn't be here, well atleast you know you have an addiction. Maybe with the tool you can break that addiction!? I'm sure alot of people who had weight loss surgery or plan to actually gain weight (like myself) before surgery. Whatever you chose to do good luck!!!!

I was really scared of failure and honestly I still am. I just know that I have to work on myself every single day and never stop trying. I am listening to audio books, lectures on Youtube, trying to read as much info as possible to stay on track. I used to work in a sales environment and the boss always told the staff not the be afraid of failure to make sales, just "commit to the activity". In other words, if you're doing every single thing you can to stay on track and keep growing as a person you're committing to the activity and the outcome will most likely be positive. I have given up sugar, I eat as low Protein as I can, I go to the gym and I keep working on myself. I hope if I keep it up I'll get there!

9 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I have given up sugar, I eat as low Protein as I can, I go to the gym and I keep working on myself. I hope if I keep it up I'll get there!

I love your attitude and perseverance. You WILL be successful! But please tell me that you are not eating as low Protein as you can - that's a typo, right? :)

On 10/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, AZhiker said:

I love your attitude and perseverance. You WILL be successful! But please tell me that you are not eating as low Protein as you can - that's a typo, right? :)

Yes. I meant high Protein lol

Lots of people way more qualified then myself to respond but I feel I’m addicted to food. I’m 11 months post op and I’m down 120 pounds from my heaviest and 105ish from surgery. My hunger returned about month seven. I can eat pretty much anything. Too much chocolate and yeah it hurts and cramps. Eat too quick or too much bread...gonna cramp up for 20 minutes. IMO wls is a tool and the negative response is a reminder that EVERY DAY IS STILL A STRUGGLE but at least you have a tool. I wouldn’t go back. I feel like I’m in my 20’s. I wear the same size jeans I did In high school when I was a swimmer! Women look at me and those that know me comment but yeah at home and in private I still constantly think about food. That will never stop but ask anyone who’s gone through AA and it’s the same struggle. Addiction is addiction no matter the subject.

Lots of great advice on this thread, Let me add my two cents as well. I saw the Psych clearance people yesterday and was told that I had a food addiction, which I already was aware of. I turned to food when I quit smoking twenty-some years ago. So, because of my food addiction, I really need to focus before surgery to how I'm going to deal with the addiction. Otherwise, it will transfer to something else since I won't be able to eat. He was worried I'd start drinking and have that become my new addiction, but I don't drink so that won't happen. In thinking about it, I'm thinking I will try to make my workouts be my new addiction, if that is even possible. I don't know. It will be trial and error for me.

Oh, and while I was very addicted to cigarettes back in the day, the cravings for them did stop. Now even the smell of them discourages me from ever wanting to go back. Same with coffee, which I gave up in 2012. I used to love the smell of a good roasted coffee percolating. Now the smell turns me off.

A lot will depend on your attitude. If you go into it saying "I'll never have (insert food item here) again," then you're subconsciously telling your brain to make that statement not true and your cravings will skyrocket. If you say to yourself, "I don't want it right now, but it will still be there later if I REALLY have to have it," puts you in control and not the addiction. It doesn't take that food/cigarette/coffee/caffeine off your table, you just put yourself as the control for having it, and you just keep saying "Not now, maybe later."

Sorry, I rambled on a bit. You can beat your addiction when you allow yourself to be the control over the addiction and not the victim of the addiction, if that makes any sense. Wishing you all the very best on your journey. Keep coming back to the threads - they are full of motivation and support. Blessings!

Machalo,

Great advice! I do this too when I crave something, I just tell myself I can have this at a later time and then I think about what I have gained by having surgery.