Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone take Prilosec/ Omeprazole right after surgery/ weight gain/ Help!

My Dr gave me a RX for omeprazole right after surgery and told me to take it for 6 months. My surgery was on Sept 4th. so three weeks ago. I have to be honest i am nervous since Zantac was recalled and also i have read that the side effects of Omeprazole is weight gain. In the three weeks since my surgery I have only lost 13lbs. I have between 65-100 Protein, around 600 calories or less and drink between 80 oz to a gallon of Water a day so i cant for the life of me figure out why i am not losing more weight. I wasn't given a pre op diet. I just have to do liquids the day prior to surgery. I am desperate for advice or insight because I am sort of freaking out. Could the medication be preventing my weightless?

I’m on day 17 post op. Surgery was September 10th. I was prescribed this same medication. I have lost 22 pounds so far. But I’m also at a point where nothing taste good and I have no desire to eat. I’m probably getting no more than 150 calories a day. (Not by choice). Everyone is different. I wouldn’t worry about it. 13 pounds is still awesome! I was told by my dr to not compare my weight loss with others. It will only make you crazy. Your doing great!

You need to take the medication to protect your surgical site. 6 months is not going to hurt you. Please follow your surgeon's instructions. If you get an erosion or ulcer, you could be on the meds a lot longer. These healing tissues are very fragile and need to be protected until they are fully healed.

My doc said I will probably be taking omeprazole for life. I presently take 40mg per day.

I was also given it to take and had never taken it before. I notice the difference in my stomach when I do not take it.

I have never heard of weight gain being a side effect of omeprazole, but I expect that if one looks into all of the fine print that accompanies the Rx instructions that there is some fraction of a percent of people in some study that did, and that has to be included in the data sheet. People have been taking it post op for years and losing weight as expected for their surgery, so don't worry about that.

Zantac is a completely different class of drug from omeprazole, so whatever problem it is having at the moment doesn't apply to omeprazole, which along with all PPIs have their own potential issues (as indeed, do all drugs...) and they apply to long term (years) use rather than short or intermediate term.

As for not losing weight at the moment, do a search here for three (or third) week stall - it is entirely normal to have a weight stall around this time.

I was on Prilosec for 6 months post-op; no weight gain. I am also on Prilosec again because I need to take an NSAID for something so they gave it to me to help prevent issues - no weight gain.

thanks for the input - it helps. Ill stay on it for sure. I also asked my DR but i was curious about what other folks were doing and if its something EVERYONE is put on no matter what.

I also take Prilosec and have off and on for five years. It hadn’t caused a weight gain.

Remember- There is One and Only Serengirl- You will write Your Own Story- Make Your Own Music- and Gain Back Your Own Life. This Is As It Should Be- As long as You And Your Doctor and Team are Happy- Nothing Else Matters in the Grand Scheme of Life! You'll Gain a Joy nobody can take from YOU! I too know THIS and I have had one if the More Bumpy Journies Getting There! Much ❤,Frustr8

I have been on Omeperozole for years to to GERD. I don't think it contributed to my weight gain...my poor habits did. You should be fine. It does a great job keep acid down when taken regularly.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:53 AM, Serengirl said:

My Dr gave me a RX for omeprazole right after surgery and told me to take it for 6 months. My surgery was on Sept 4th. so three weeks ago. I have to be honest i am nervous since Zantac was recalled and also i have read that the side effects of Omeprazole is weight gain. In the three weeks since my surgery I have only lost 13lbs. I have between 65-100 Protein, around 600 calories or less and drink between 80 oz to a gallon of Water a day so i cant for the life of me figure out why i am not losing more weight. I wasn't given a pre op diet. I just have to do liquids the day prior to surgery. I am desperate for advice or insight because I am sort of freaking out. Could the medication be preventing my weightless?

My husband has been on Omeprazole for a long time . No weight gain to speak of. His surgery was 3 years ago. Mine was Sept 6th. I have lost only 16lbs so far, but I am not worried. It will happen.