Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First consultation this week

So I had my first consultation this week, the system is very different in Australia to what I have read about the surgery elsewhere.

Things went very well, loved the team I spoke to, the Dr I saw was not the surgeon, but a very good bariatric physician, and after our consultation it would appear that I have the choice of;

Signing up for top Health insurance, paying premiums for a year and then getting the surgery. Approx $5-7k AUD out of pocket and $5-8k in premiums for the 12 months

Going through a semi subsidised model which would be in about 6 months Approx $10k AUD

Paying for the surgery myself which would be in a matter of weeks. Appox $22k AUD

Good news is I can do any of the above, am healthy and a good candidate, there is little requirements to do a lot of the pre-surgery requirements that other country/systems have, so I guess I now just have to decide.

Oooh exciting!

Yep same in UK, very different and MUCH easier than USA, they have to really jump through some hoops huh!?

Let us know which option you decide on, once I made my mind up to get it done I wanted it done ASAP. I self funded and was in surgery 3 months after my initial consultation with the surgeon :)

I'm in SA total cost for my surgery out of pocket 4500. Top hospital cover only $200 month don't know where you got 5000 from?

I'll be in private hospital. Private room.

Very quick process so far just had to do the 12 months waiting period but from first visit to surgery will be 3 months :)

Had a few places to go in SA chose the most streamlined approach without all the hoops.

seen surgeon twice. Weighed in twice. See a dietitian next week and that's about it until my surgery date.

@DaisyChainOz Excited for you and glad you have some good choices available! :)

So great you don't have to deal with all the varied inurance hoops the USA has.

Such a goofy healthcare system here, in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Bastian said:

Oooh exciting!

Yep same in UK, very different and MUCH easier than USA, they have to really jump through some hoops huh!?

Let us know which option you decide on, once I made my mind up to get it done I wanted it done ASAP. I self funded and was in surgery 3 months after my initial consultation with the surgeon :)

Yes, it is fortunately a lot easier were we are both located.

I am thinking going the self pay road - want it done soon. It is just a matter of logistics now... so waiting to hear about the money and where I can recover as The surgery is a diff city to where I live and I can't fly for 2 weeks after apparently.

Exciting!!!

13 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I'm in SA total cost for my surgery out of pocket 4500. Top hospital cover only $200 month don't know where you got 5000 from?

I'll be in private hospital. Private room.

Very quick process so far just had to do the 12 months waiting period but from first visit to surgery will be 3 months :)

Had a few places to go in SA chose the most streamlined approach without all the hoops.

seen surgeon twice. Weighed in twice. See a dietitian next week and that's about it until my surgery date.

Hi Mikeyy,

Nice to see a few Aussies around.

The PHI premium is based on a quote I got a while ago... but might be family rate or be cheaper options dunno, not too concerned as it is the least likely of my 3 options.

I have decided if I can swing it to go self funded. Found out if anything deteriorates and I need emergency treatment I will be transferred to a public hospital as a public patient so that's reassuring.

When is your surgery?

3 hours ago, FluffySaysForkIt! said:

@DaisyChainOz Excited for you and glad you have some good choices available! :)

So great you don't have to deal with all the varied inurance hoops the USA has.

Such a goofy healthcare system here, in my opinion.

Hi @FluffySaysForkIt! Thank you!!! it is very exciting for sure, glad I have options too, just hope I can swing the self funded road and get it done this year as I have a fair bit going on next year and would like to be over the worst of it and on my way to healthier happier me. 😁

Interesting to here what people in the countries have to do for insurance coverage. Yes, in the USA there are many different insurance programs and weight loss programs. I am lucky that mine is covered. The hardest part of my program was the hoops you have to jump prior to qualifying for surgery; mental health screen, sleep study, physical by your primary care, dietitian consultation, support groups and then healthy eating classes. Do you folks have the same requirements? I just joined the forum and have my surgery scheduled for next week.

Edited by EAGML's Gigi

Well I can never afford 20k so I'm doing it the best way I can. My surgery is set for end of October but I've started my preop diet earlier :) My surgeon says any weight loss will help him do the surgery and help my recovery.

7 hours ago, EAGML's Gigi said:

Interesting to here what people in the countries have to do for insurance coverage. Yes, in the USA there are many different insurance programs and weight loss programs. I am lucky that mine is covered. The hardest part of my program was the hoops you have to jump prior to qualifying for surgery; mental health screen, sleep study, physical by your primary care, dietitian consultation, support groups and then healthy eating classes. Do you folks have the same requirements? I just joined the forum and have my surgery scheduled for next week.

Quite amazing what you guys have to go through, none of that for me if I go down the self paying road, I just need one more appointment with my surgeon and dietician before the surgery, that's it... if I was getting the surgery with insurance might be more requirements I don't know but probably not as much as you guys in the USA have to do that's for sure, but I don't want to wait the minimum 12 months with insurance, so will pay for it myself.

Just a very hard logistical exercise to work out when to do it... due to being away from home for work, and away from where the surgery will be also, and between moving soon to another location lol... very tricky logistically.

7 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

Well I can never afford 20k so I'm doing it the best way I can. My surgery is set for end of October but I've started my preop diet earlier :) My surgeon says any weight loss will help him do the surgery and help my recovery.

Good for you,, and good luck Mikeyy! I can't really affford it either, but have found a work around, so hopefully if I can work out the logistics it will be Oct or Nov.

Soooo... I have moved states quite unexpectedly 4 weeks ago, I was headhunted for a job in my home city - so after much tooing and froing decided to take the job near home.

Which means I either need to find a new surgeon in my home city, or go with the team I saw (who I really liked) but have to stay interstate for a week or two post surgery and then do follow ups etc flying into that city.

The surgeons here charge about $5k more than I have been quoted (guess there is more competition in the other city) and I don't know any or have any recommendations here.

It's a bit of a dilemma.

Anyone have a surgeon in Brisbane, Australia that they would recommend?