Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I made a big mistake

I'm really having a terrible time with all aspects of the surgery I had my operation at barix in ypsilanti Michigan on Tuesday the 17 I have been in excruciating pain since surgery I was discharged from the hospital on the 20th they sent me home with 10 dilodid pills and to take one every 4 hours as needed by Monday I was out of medication I've tried calling the clinic and have left 3 messages for my surgeon and I still havent got a response needless to say I went to the urgent care on Monday and the doctor prescribed norco only 16 pills to take every 4 hours I'm still in pain I've been in so much pain I'm having a hard time with liquids although I've managed to eat a pudding cup here and there I cant tolerate the sweetness of Protein Shakes and I've run out of money to buy anymore shakes to try no one ever told me how much money I would have to spend on over the counter medications and Vitamins I Seriously feel like I'm at my breaking point I know I'm failing miserably at drinking my liquids I have not been drinking much broth or Jello the only things I can stomach are popsicles juice and pudding I feel like something is going really wrong I'm kind of scared not to mention pissed off with forest health centers call center for not "caring" who else do I call when I was discharged I was told to call if I had any concerns or questions and I seem like a bother and cant get any support from there if I go to a regular hospital in the morning will they know how to treat me I'm in serious pain and I'm starting to feel dehydrated and my mental state is not great at this point I'm actually losing my will to want to live this is the hardest thing I've ever experienced in my entire life and there's no going back I'm feeling completely miserable and alone

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Chula313 I’m so sorry you feel this way. I promise you it will get better with time. Try to get up and walk every few hours at home even if it’s around the bedroom to the bathroom and back it helps a lot with passing some of the gas that causes a lot of pain or discomfort after surgery. Sip lots of Water slowly throughout the day to keep hydrated. You can also try Protein water I grabbed mine from Amazon and I purchased ice pop makers. I poured them into the pouches froze them and slowly allowed the ice pops to melt in my mouth which keeps you hydrated provides the protein you need to give you energy and help you heal and isn’t too harsh on the stomach since you aren’t really sipping. If you can’t tolerate this please go to the hospital and explain to them what’s going on they will get you hooked up to iv fluids. It’s important you don’t dehydrate yourself. Please don’t feel alone during this journey. From what I hear a lot of people have “buyers remorse” right out of surgery but the pain will pass and it will become much easier. Remember why you chose this life changing decision!

Hi @chula313 first of all which procedure did you have?

2ndly whichever procedure it was you should be able to tolerate 60ml an hour with constant sipping.

3rd you NEED to go to the ER, you should be sore but not so uncomfortable that you need heavy-duty painkillers still or not tolerate fluids lovely.

you are almost 10 days out and should be coping pain and Fluid wise and are probably dehydrated by now.

So get yourself to the emergency room and get sorted. I had a terrible time post-op and couldn't even keep 2.5 ml down which is just ridiculous, anyway I got sorted in the end but after my 2nd op by day 10 I felt like a different person compared to day 10 after the first op. Ok, It meant I was in the hospital almost 3 weeks but I got 'fixed'.

If they have no idea in the ER insist they get a gastroenterologist who knows about bari surgery to come and review you.

So sorry you are in so much pain it is hideous and I really hope you are sorted quickly and I would be complaining big time about not getting a response from where you got it done.

Please don't delay and get to the hospital to get reviewed then let us know what is going on GOOD LUCK and big virtual pain-numbing hugs xx

Hi [mention=370602]chula313[/mention] first of all which procedure did you have?
2ndly whichever procedure it was you should be able to tolerate 60ml an hour with constant sipping.
3rd you NEED to go to the ER, you should be sore but not so uncomfortable that you need heavy-duty painkillers still or not tolerate fluids lovely.
you are almost 10 days out and should be coping pain and Fluid wise and are probably dehydrated by now.
So get yourself to the emergency room and get sorted. I had a terrible time post-op and couldn't even keep 2.5 ml down which is just ridiculous, anyway I got sorted in the end but after my 2nd op by day 10 I felt like a different person compared to day 10 after the first op. Ok, It meant I was in the hospital almost 3 weeks but I got 'fixed'.
If they have no idea in the ER insist they get a gastroenterologist who knows about bari surgery to come and review you.
So sorry you are in so much pain it is hideous and I really hope you are sorted quickly and I would be complaining big time about not getting a response from where you got it done.
Please don't delay and get to the hospital to get reviewed then let us know what is going on GOOD LUCK and big virtual pain-numbing hugs xx

Thank you.
I had the gastric bypass

Hi Chula313 I’m so sorry you feel this way. I promise you it will get better with time. Try to get up and walk every few hours at home even if it’s around the bedroom to the bathroom and back it helps a lot with passing some of the gas that causes a lot of pain or discomfort after surgery. Sip lots of Water slowly throughout the day to keep hydrated. You can also try Protein water I grabbed mine from Amazon and I purchased ice pop makers. I poured them into the pouches froze them and slowly allowed the ice pops to melt in my mouth which keeps you hydrated provides the protein you need to give you energy and help you heal and isn’t too harsh on the stomach since you aren’t really sipping. If you can’t tolerate this please go to the hospital and explain to them what’s going on they will get you hooked up to iv fluids. It’s important you don’t dehydrate yourself. Please don’t feel alone during this journey. From what I hear a lot of people have “buyers remorse” right out of surgery but the pain will pass and it will become much easier. Remember why you chose this life changing decision!
Thank you and that is great advice and I will be going to the hospital today

Hi Chula. I’m so sorry to hear about your difficulties. It is really hard a first. I too was in more pain than expected. I doubled up on pills a few times just to get through. However try using over the counter meds to help with the pain.

We have an opioid epidemic going on and docs and hospitals are refusing to give out large amounts of pain meds. This is why you can’t seem to get what you need. And the more you plead the more they refuse because they think you are becoming addicted.

Get some extra strength Tylenol and try taking one in between doses of your stronger meds. Do not, I repeat, do not take more than 4000 ml off Tylenol a day. It can permanently damage your liver. And see if your other meds contain any type of acetaminophen. If so you must count that. I’d be very diligent and not go over 3000 just to be safe. However I find it has helped me a lot.

Try and get your Water in. It is super important and dehydration is probably contributing to your discomfort.

It is shameful that the hospital is not responding to your calls. You need to go in person and demand to see your surgeon. Easier said than done, I know. But right now the emergency room is a good idea. Have them check you for leaks as you may be experiencing some complications and not know it, which contributes to the pain.

Get yourself a medical binder (available on amazon) or ask for one at the ER. It’s a tight wrap you put around your midsection and helps tremendously with pain.

I really hope you feel better soon. No one deserves to suffer more than they should. Whether you chose this or not, you deserve the absolute best care and it doesn’t look like you are getting it. Get yourself back to a hospital ASAP. Try and find a good local one that won’t dismiss your complaints. Not all hospitals are the same. E en if you have to drive further get to the best hospital you can reach.

Good luck. I promise you, this too shall pass. But you’ve tried enough on your own. You need a professionals help to get over this hurdle.

Good luck and please keep us up to date.

1 hour ago, chula313 said:

Thank you and that is great advice and I will be going to the hospital today

So glad to read this xx

It seems too early for them to give you pain pills instead of liquid pain meds. Maybe you aren't digesting them and they could be irritating you. You can drink fairlife brand milk (high Protein, low sugar) and it counts as liquid AND protein. I hated protein Water at first because it tasted like Syrup to my new tastebuds but later I could drink it diluted with citrus juice added to use them up. Definitely go to the doctor and just take the angle of wanting to find out what is wrong so they don't think you just want more meds.

What happened at the hospital?

@chulu313 please give us an update. How are you feeling now? Did you go to the hospital?

@chulu313 please give us an update. How are you feeling now? Did you go to the hospital?
I didn't have any one to take me to the hospital yesterday I hope I can make it there today or at least get ahold of my surgeon I apreciate you checking up on me it really touches my heart