Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Compression Tights and Loose Skin

I have my surgery booked for October and im hoping to loose 45kgs (100lbs) and the thing that scares me the most is the thought of the amount of loose skin that I could possibly end up with. Ive researched compression clothing and just wanted to see if anyone used compression clothing (like 2xu or under armour brands) post surgery and if they found it helped and have recommendations....ive had two unplanned csections and still have separated abdominal muscles (4 years after)......

im going crazy researching "tightening skin naturally" ...buying collagen protein...organic broths...even looking at jowl creams and face braces to lift and tighten the neck area....sounds so lame when i read what i have written because loose skin should be the least of my concerns... did anyone else have this concern it doesnt seem to come up on other forum topics of what to expect/didnt expect/wish you knew before hand....

I am still pre-op but I have also looked into loose skin. Loose skin after weight loss surgery is common because your skin does not have the time to adjust to the rapid weight loss. Although everyone is different, you will MOST LIKELY have loose skin and the only true way to completely resolve that issue is through plastic surgery. Based on some Youtubers that are bariatric patients, compression clothing can really help with minimizing the visibility of loose skin.

I do recall a Youtuber suggesting that you buy quality compression clothing because it can make all the difference. I am sorry this isn't coming from personal experience but this is the best I know of it so far. You can look on Youtube for first hand experiences from real patients.

21 hours ago, PlanetHopper said:

I am still pre-op but I have also looked into loose skin. Loose skin after weight loss surgery is common because your skin does not have the time to adjust to the rapid weight loss. Although everyone is different, you will MOST LIKELY have loose skin and the only true way to completely resolve that issue is through plastic surgery. Based on some Youtubers that are bariatric patients, compression clothing can really help with minimizing the visibility of loose skin.

I do recall a Youtuber suggesting that you buy quality compression clothing because it can make all the difference. I am sorry this isn't coming from personal experience but this is the best I know of it so far. You can look on Youtube for first hand experiences from real patients.

thanks i hadnt even thought to search on youtube for information so greatly appreciate your help :)

Sounds like Spanx and similar stuff you can put under your clothes give the look of lifted and tighten. There's no magic to it.

Edited by Mikeyy

9 hours ago, Fitby40icandoit said:

thanks i hadnt even thought to search on youtube for information so greatly appreciate your help :)

No problem! I am glad I was able to help. As a side note, I also recommend watching Dr. Duc C. Vuong's video's. He is a bariatric surgeon that has a lot of videos that I found really helpful. Here is a link to his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorVuong

I am taking collagen and i have read that drinking a TON of Water (80 or more ounces) helps tighten the skin too. Also I dry skin brush and slather my skin in homemade body butter made of cocoa butter coconut oil Shea butter Vitamin e and wheat germ oil... - i heave read that keeping the skin moisturized helps it snap back and it works for a lot of pregnant women. at the very least you'll have soft skin.

9 hours ago, Serengirl said:

I am taking collagen and i have read that drinking a TON of Water (80 or more ounces) helps tighten the skin too. Also I dry skin brush and slather my skin in homemade body butter made of cocoa butter coconut oil Shea butter Vitamin e and wheat germ oil... - i heave read that keeping the skin moisturized helps it snap back and it works for a lot of pregnant women. at the very least you'll have soft skin.

Has this been working for you? How much weight have you lost and do you feel like you do not have loose skin?

I'll definitely have some loose skin when all is said and done but certainly not going to rush to plastics. If you like leggings Old Navy has some good compression on a budget, if you're ok spending a little more Fabletics has some really cute things in compression as well. Under Armour also has compression and if you have an outlet by you that's the best way to go. I think Spanx are overkill for day to day wear but great for wearing with a formal dress, suit, or other more formal occasions. Those suckers are TIGHT even when you buy the proper size.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:41 AM, PlanetHopper said:

Has this been working for you? How much weight have you lost and do you feel like you do not have loose skin?

Ill have to let you know. I am only one month out so I cant really tell yet but tons of women prevent stretch marks or reduce them with body butters made of those ingredients so those cant hurt... the rest Ill know as ai lose more weight. my first month I have lost 15lbs...

I think I have tried almost everything. I have lost 100 and some change...I work out religiously but still a saggy belly and extra skin on the thighs....afraid at this point my only option would be a Tummy Tuck and lipo... sure it looks better than it did, but I'm still self conscious. And unless I win the lottery looks like spanks from here on out 😏

1 minute ago, funky_monkey800 said:

I think I have tried almost everything. I have lost 100 and some change...I work out religiously but still a saggy belly and extra skin on the thighs....afraid at this point my only option would be a Tummy Tuck and lipo... sure it looks better than it did, but I'm still self conscious. And unless I win the lottery looks like spanks from here on out 😏

wow well done on the loss. Thanks for letting me know what you have tried to combat the loose skin. 😊

I've tried derma rolling, coffee wraps, brushing, ice packs...lol exercising daily Multi Vitamins tons of water....was gonna try cool sculpting, but after talking to quite a few people it does nothing for saggy skin ☹

16 minutes ago, Fitby40icandoit said:

wow well done on the loss. Thanks for letting me know what you have tried to combat the loose skin. 😊

And thank you!

I may still be a bit saggy. But my skin is soft...lol

I didn't mean to sound like a downer! So I hope I didnt come across that way!

But I honestly think I've tried every fad out there! Lol

On 10/3/2019 at 10:20 PM, funky_monkey800 said:

And thank you!

I may still be a bit saggy. But my skin is soft...lol

I didn't mean to sound like a downer! So I hope I didnt come across that way!

But I honestly think I've tried every fad out there! Lol

I don't think you are being a downer. I appreciate your honesty. I truly believe that it is near impossible to completely prevent loose skin after having weight loss surgery because the body does not have time to adjust.

I'm down 55lbs since surgery 3 months ago and definitely noticing sagging and softness.

I'm wearing a new, VERY tight compression shirt today and my organs hurt and I think it's causing nerve damage. But I keep getting compliments, so 🤷‍♂️!

Image result for im gonna look amazing kelly gif