Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brachioplasty (arm lift) - are you happy with the results?

For those who have had brachioplasty (arm lift), are you happy with the results? Do you mind sharing photos? My biggest concern is the long scar that inevitably comes from it. Thanks.

I am veryyyyyyyyyyyy Happy - If you check out my profile - activity - I have put pictures on previous replies (I will try to link them here but they might not show)

Yes I have scars - LOTS of scars.

But - To be honest almost ten years on of Op1 next year - The emotional scars I had before were ten times worse than a few pale scars that I never think about much any more. I feel thatthe scars from the surgeries are part of the journey to find me.... Under the skin I was in there - The skin made me feel like an alien. After all the weight loss I was still an alien - Just a different type of one. I am not 100% because I have larger lower legs than I would like..... But - I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much happier than I have been in so long.

I am very grateful to my surgeon (I am in UK) and he gave me a gift that is worth more than money - It is an amazing gift - The surgeon even said to me that I had changed from the person whom he met at that first consultation. I am different - I can wear clothes that do not have to have extra space to hide in.

I guess it is all about whether you can accept the scars - Which are a trade off for getting rid of the skin.

Before -

170210-01Arms.jpg

After 1 -

LeftArmScar190510-1.JPG

After 2 -

260611-03.JPG

After 3 -

Left Arm Scar 260611.jpg

I can't remember where I put the latest one on my computer - LOL

Found this one - My scars are not so good as I could not massage as well as you might be able to as I have Dystonia in one hand so I cannot use the fingers etc - And if I did it again now I would wear the compression garments for longer - 12 weeks in all!

Sounds a long tme but it supports the skin during the healing and the scars I have whre I wore micropore tape and compression garments for 3mths are much finer and better than the first Ops scars....

This was a few years from the Op and now I am at 9.5yrs from the Op. But you would have to be looking to see them now and the doctors try to hide them behind the arm.

18thJune2014-Rightarm_zps55799282.thumb.jpg.d7346bacf44ffeb60befba36927cb1e4.jpg

I hope that helps a little.

Edited by Scamp

That is a very helpful post. I will have an arm lift, next year. It is a tough decision to make.

I have my arm lift in less than 3 weeks. I'm going to come up with some badass story about my scars. Scars don't bother me at all (better than saggy skin and stretch marks, imo), but I'm still going to tell people I escaped prison through barbed wire.

23 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I have my arm lift in less than 3 weeks. I'm going to come up with some badass story about my scars. Scars don't bother me at all (better than saggy skin and stretch marks, imo), but I'm still going to tell people I escaped prison through barbed wire.

Just curious- I am starting to look into plastics for next spring. So far the one Md i met with said he wants my weight to be stable for 2-3 months before and be 1 year post surgery. Is that what you have heard as well?

56 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Just curious- I am starting to look into plastics for next spring. So far the one Md i met with said he wants my weight to be stable for 2-3 months before and be 1 year post surgery. Is that what you have heard as well?

My bariatric office didn't care because I exceeded their weight loss expectations by a lotttt; they said I would only get to 165 at best. The plastic surgeon also had no opinion. He said I can do it whenever I feel I am ready. My weight has been between 129 and 133 for 6-ish weeks now and my dietitian said if I lose more weight, I need to gain it back so if I go lower post-plastics, it won't really impact the plastics because I'm supposed to gain it back. If that made sense. I am one year post-op today.

If I wanted insurance to pay for my Tummy Tuck, I would have to be 18 months post-op. I don't think they'd approve it anyway since I don't have rashes or anything so I'm just paying myself now.

I'm so ready for this. I had a breast reduction in 2017 and I am SO GLAD I did because my boobs would be SO DROOPY after all this weight loss (they were a 48H and taken down to a 46D.... and are now a 36B). So even if I lose (or gain) a little more weight... I doubt it will have any real impact on my skin.

3 hours ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I had originally planned to get plastics about 10 months post up, after reaching goal. The timing didn't work out, so I pushed it back a year. I am so grateful I did so.

I lost weight past my goal. I had intended to settle at 140. I slid down to 125. I now fluctuate between 127-130. I have been stable in that range for 9 months now. Those last 10-15 lbs made a dramatic physical difference. Both my stomach and boobs flattened out dramatically. I went from a C to A cup, and dropped 2 pant sizes.

Also, even since I have been at a stable weight, my body composition, fat distribution has shifted. I was just looking through photos and a dress I wore 7 months ago, and fit great, is now too baggy on me. My bf and I were looking through pics from a few months back, and he is convinced I have lost more weight, when in actuality I haven't.

I was deeply disappointed I wasn't able to have surgery a year ago. But it turned out to be a total blessing. My results will be much better now that my body is much more settled at 22 months post op vs. 10 months.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

I had originally planned to get plastics about 10 months post up, after reaching goal. The timing didn't work out, so I pushed it back a year. I am so grateful I did so.

I lost weight past my goal. I had intended to settle at 140. I slid down to 125. I now fluctuate between 127-130. I have been stable in that range for 9 months now. Those last 10-15 lbs made a dramatic physical difference. Both my stomach and boobs flattened out dramatically. I went from a C to A cup, and dropped 2 pant sizes.

Also, even since I have been at a stable weight, my body composition, fat distribution has shifted. I was just looking through photos and a dress I wore 7 months ago, and fit great, is now too baggy on me. My bf and I were looking through pics from a few months back, and he is convinced I have lost more weight, when in actuality I haven't.

I was deeply disappointed I wasn't able to have surgery a year ago. But it turned out to be a total blessing. My results will be much better now that my body is much more settled at 22 months post op vs. 10 months.

I have thought about in the long term postponing but I don't want to get surgery and wear compression garments in the summer so early spring would be best. I really don't want to go another summer wearing 3/4 length sleeves to hide my arms. I am also thinking that if I don't have as much loose skin and fat on my arms then if my body changes a bit or if I gain a few pounds it could actually be better ie fill in my saggy boobs or wrinkly butt. That may just be wishful thinking and it would go straight to my feet or something bizarre.

16 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I have thought about in the long term postponing but I don't want to get surgery and wear compression garments in the summer so early spring would be best. I really don't want to go another summer wearing 3/4 length sleeves to hide my arms. I am also thinking that if I don't have as much loose skin and fat on my arms then if my body changes a bit or if I gain a few pounds it could actually be better ie fill in my saggy boobs or wrinkly butt. That may just be wishful thinking and it would go straight to my feet or something bizarre.

I agree, I think there is less of a risk of negatively affecting plastics results with minor weight gain. IMO losing more weight after plastics would be more detrimental. The strange thing is, I have seemingly lost fat, while the scale hasn't moved (and without working out)

Are u talking about the ChromaTrim, if so that looks about what I would need. Would lights like what I have work with those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk