Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fears & thoughts

I fear that i won't wake up after surgery. I fear that I will fail. I fear that I'll slack off on taking Vitamins daily. I fear that i will have complications. I'm not a risk taker like others. I like to know what im getting into, the outcome and with wls there's no way you can know. What if i fall in the 1% who got worse after surgery? Even death. And on the other hand maybe I'll be successful with no complications ever. I'm scared of the unknown.

I fear that i won't wake up after surgery. I fear that I will fail. I fear that I'll slack off on taking Vitamins daily. I fear that i will have complications. I'm not a risk taker like others. I like to know what im getting into, the outcome and with wls there's no way you can know. What if i fall in the 1% who got worse after surgery? Even death. And on the other hand maybe I'll be successful with no complications ever. I'm scared of the unknown.

I just had surgery yesterday. I remember being on operating table and thinking if it was too late to back out. I went through with it. The hardest day was the first day. I came home today and honestly I've only taken 2 pain pills today and 2 phenergan. I am drinking my 1 ounce Water and shakes every hour and in the next 30 minutes I'll have my 64oz in. I was afraid but I know this surgery is more important than my fears. I hope it all works out for u. Just follow your doctor's instructions to the T. Good luck sweetheart!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had surgery yesterday. I remember being on operating table and thinking if it was too late to back out. I went through with it. The hardest day was the first day. I came home today and honestly I've only taken 2 pain pills today and 2 phenergan. I am drinking my 1 ounce Water and shakes every hour and in the next 30 minutes I'll have my 64oz in. I was afraid but I know this surgery is more important than my fears. I hope it all works out for u. Just follow your doctor's instructions to the T. Good luck sweetheart!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post & sharing your experience. Thank you & all the best to you as well my dear.

8 hours ago, shanshan said:

Hey @shanshan all perfectly normal fears :D

Also, you will wake up coz I had the super rare post-op complication 0.2% so this year's stats for weird complications have been fulfilled by me, which means you will be A-ok :D

I was worried about waking during surgery so I 'manned up' and told the anaesthetist it scared me and she was amazing reassuring me, so maybe just let them know?

Make sure you read the post by fluffychix called 'the importance of doing the head work' @FluffyChix I seem to be your personal PR guru today haha

The head IS the thing that makes us or breaks us, so work on that head :D

GOOD LUCK!

Same here. I almost walked out of the pre-op room! It's OK to be afraid. Courage means being afraid and still doing what you know needs to be done. This takes courage. You cannot try to look at the whole picture. God is the only one who knows the future - not us. We have to take one day at a time. The first day post op, the second day post op, the third day post op, etc. Before you know it , it is the first month post op, then 6 months and you can hardly even remember the surgery because you are enjoying your new life so much. Kind of like child birth. Lots of gals want to back out at the last minute! But you go through the scary process and have a beautiful new life on the other side. You are going to have a beautiful new life on the other side, too, but going through the surgery is the first step.

Hey [mention=359843]shanshan[/mention] all perfectly normal fears [emoji3]
Also, you will wake up coz I had the super rare post-op complication 0.2% so this year's stats for weird complications have been fulfilled by me, which means you will be A-ok [emoji3]
I was worried about waking during surgery so I 'manned up' and told the anaesthetist it scared me and she was amazing reassuring me, so maybe just let them know?
Make sure you read the post by fluffychix called 'the importance of doing the head work' [mention=323408]FluffyChix[/mention] I seem to be your personal PR guru today haha
The head IS the thing that makes us or breaks us, so work on that head [emoji3]
GOOD LUCK!
Thank you and I will[emoji4]

Same here. I almost walked out of the pre-op room! It's OK to be afraid. Courage means being afraid and still doing what you know needs to be done. This takes courage. You cannot try to look at the whole picture. God is the only one who knows the future - not us. We have to take one day at a time. The first day post op, the second day post op, the third day post op, etc. Before you know it , it is the first month post op, then 6 months and you can hardly even remember the surgery because you are enjoying your new life so much. Kind of like child birth. Lots of gals want to back out at the last minute! But you go through the scary process and have a beautiful new life on the other side. You are going to have a beautiful new life on the other side, too, but going through the surgery is the first step.
Awww thank you for your kind words and sharing means alot to me

It is okay to be scared, it means you are really thinking through your decision, acknowledging what could possibly happen, and making the most well-informed decision you can!

Now that you've thought about the scary what ifs, think about the good ones! What if I lose this weight and feel great? What if I succeed and make myself proud? What if I stick with my Vitamins to ensure my health?

The unknown is terrifying, but sometimes the greatest things happen when he just decide to take the jump! You will do great, you have a whole community here backing you and ready to support you at any time! 😃

It is okay to be scared, it means you are really thinking through your decision, acknowledging what could possibly happen, and making the most well-informed decision you can!

Now that you've thought about the scary what ifs, think about the good ones! What if I lose this weight and feel great? What if I succeed and make myself proud? What if I stick with my Vitamins to ensure my health?

The unknown is terrifying, but sometimes the greatest things happen when he just decide to take the jump! You will do great, you have a whole community here backing you and ready to support you at any time!

I think about all the possible outcomes and trying my best to be positive & not to let my fears overcome me LOL. And thank you.

When is your surgery without fear what do u have pray and give to god