Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something just isn’t right

Hi all, looking for some advice.

so, I was banded in 2011 and have had ups and downs with restriction over the years however, 3 (ish) weeks ago I had pain near my band/port and since then I’ve had zero restriction. I’ve also had nausea and suffered bad with my stomach such as excessive wind. I’ve also noticed that the way my stomach makes noises when I’m hungry feels and sounds different. I had my surgery in Belgium but I live in the UK and the surgeon isn’t in the UK for another 3 weeks so I have to wait to see him.

has anyone else had these symptoms? I’m just so worried that my band has erosion or something serious that may need urgent attention but as I have to wait 3 weeks to see the surgeon i am worried sick. I feel like I’m unable to go to my GP as I had my band done privately so if it needed to be removed I would need to pay near £2000, I doubt I would receive any help through NHS but if anyone has can you advise me please.

Any my advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Ouch! So sorry to hear this! It kinda sounds like a medical emergency/complication of a prior surgery. Don't most insurances including NHS cover that? Like if you had to go to the ER with it? Is it excessively painful and keeping you from keeping liquids down or being able to eat?

It honestly sounds like the band slipped and may be causing problems with your esophagus which could be very very bad over a 3 week period. Whatever you do, don't eat a lot. ((hugs))

Hi @FluffyChix I have zero restriction now all of a sudden so I could literally eat a horse and I’d be able to keep it down 😂 no it’s not excessively painful in fact the pain is just every now and again. I just get this awful gut feeling that something is wrong, was just wondering if anyone else has had the same symptoms xx

33 minutes ago, francesca23 said:

Hi all, looking for some advice.

so, I was banded in 2011 and have had ups and downs with restriction over the years however, 3 (ish) weeks ago I had pain near my band/port and since then I’ve had zero restriction. I’ve also had nausea and suffered bad with my stomach such as excessive wind. I’ve also noticed that the way my stomach makes noises when I’m hungry feels and sounds different. I had my surgery in Belgium but I live in the UK and the surgeon isn’t in the UK for another 3 weeks so I have to wait to see him.

has anyone else had these symptoms? I’m just so worried that my band has erosion or something serious that may need urgent attention but as I have to wait 3 weeks to see the surgeon i am worried sick. I feel like I’m unable to go to my GP as I had my band done privately so if it needed to be removed I would need to pay near £2000, I doubt I would receive any help through NHS but if anyone has can you advise me please.

Any my advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Any emergency NHS treatment would be free whether you had the band done privately or not.

For example, I was transferred via ambulance from my private hospital to the local NHS one for emergency bypass after I had immediate post-op problems with my sleeve.

You would not be charged for any treatment, so go and get seen to and sorted you cannot wait 3 weeks if something has come loose!!

I am also an NHS nurse and have worked in A&E so know this is the case with everything.

7 minutes ago, francesca23 said:

Thanks @Bastian you’re right, I just feel like I’ll be dismissed as it’s kind of cosmetic surgery but you have a point.

If I presented in A&E my worry is they won’t know what to look for unlike an WL surgeon, would an erosion show on a scan? X

All major NHS hospitals have an on call bariatric surgeon on call so they would ring and ask them for their advice x

It could also be a slip

I think it depends on which way the band slips.

Best thing to do is to go and get it checked ASAP

It could also be a leak, or the tubing may have come adrift - lots of possibilities.

The usual way to check is probably with a barium swallow.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:21 PM, elcee said:

It could also be a leak, or the tubing may have come adrift - lots of possibilities.

The usual way to check is probably with a barium swallow.

I agree - leak, or latch of the band came undone, or a slip up to the top of the stomach.... an endoscopy would also help to see the placement of the band. A cat scan can also identify placement.