Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incision infection?

Hey everyone, I hade my sleeve done on August 26, so I am 3.5 weeks post op, all my incisions have healed well except 1, it isn't hot to the touch, but it is a little tender. And I can see a part of a stitch...and there is puss coming out, not lots, but it looks a little open, I'm nervous but dont want to over react, I went to another province for the procedure, and here I will have to access my family doctor. Do you think its infected? Any suggestions?

I am attaching pic of the one I think is infected and 2 others that seem to be healing normally20190922_094656.jpeg 20190922_094747.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965W using BariatricPal mobile app

It could just be a bit irritated. If its the one higher up on your belly, that's the incision of mine that always takes longer to heal (I've had a few laparoscopic surgeries). I put neosporin on a bandaid for a day and then go back to just washing with soap and Water and leaving it open to air.

If they used the dissolving stitches they may not have completely dissolved or fallen out. I had that happen at the edges of my csection scar and wound up getting a pair of tweezers and lightly pulling the portion that was left, out. I'm kinda surprised they didn't use the surgical glue on yours though. If it starts to get hot or you get a fever, call your dr. Those are signs of infection.

It doesn't look infected to me and just looks like serous Fluid coming out (the crusty stuff slightly yellow stuff) which is perfectly normal.

Just keep it clean and it'll heal.

I have one exactly the same, all others are nicely healed but this one is tender has serous fluid coming out. But it isn't hot or red so that = no infection, just the normal healing process.

See the yellow crusty stuff? That's not pus, but serous fluid. It's normal during the inflammatory stage of wound healing and smaller amounts is considered normal wound drainage.

20190922_041246.jpg

ps. don't put stuff on it or cover it up, just wash your body as normal and pat it dry.

you might be what they call "spitting a suture". If that's what it is, you get these red painful bumps and then a suture pops out - they usually look like nylon fishing line. If it's not full of pus and not hot to the touch and the red isn't spreading, it's probably not infected - but you could contact a doctor just in case (for peace of mind, if nothing else). I didn't have those with my weight loss surgery, but I did with plastic surgery. My surgeon had to pull a couple of them out because they were irritating me so much. Those internal sutures eventually dissolve - but it can take awhile.

Doesnt look too bad. Air is great to have on it. Can you wash it with a gentle soap, pat it dry and sit with out a shirt for a while? It may help very much. Let your HCP know when you speak to him/her

PPS. I am a Registered Nurse and know my wounds and wound care :)

Thanks to everyone to replied to my post, it seems to have closed over again since I cleaned and aired it out, I will just wait and see how it goes for now. I really appreciate the feedback