Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Month Average Loss

it's such an individual thing which so many things factor into - age, gender, starting BMI, metabolic rate, whether or not you lost weight prior to surgery, etc. One of things you'll constantly hear is that it is pointless to compare yourself to other people, since the only thing you have control over is whether or not you stick to your surgeon's plan.

that said, and this is just from hanging out on this and other boards for the last five years, I would say most of us lose in the 15-25 lb range the first month. Of course you will find people who lose more or less than that, but the majority of us are somewhere in that range.

Edited by catwoman7

Yep what Catwoman said, I have lost a bit more than average but I was on iv fluids only for 2 weeks of that, so due to being so unwell I got a bit of a weightloss boost but I have settled down now to an average of a couple + of lbs+ or 1-2 kg a week and I am a month out from my 2nd surgery.

18 pound

Surgery on 09Sep2019, weight was 276 lbs that day.

Today, 22Sep2019 my weight is 259 lbs.

I also had surgery on the 9th of September, and as of the 23rd of September (2 weeks) I've lost 24 lbs. It really does depend on a lot of factors, though, such as your height, weight, metabolism, exercise level, amount you take in, etc.

This is so upsetting to see. I had surgery on Sept 4th (no pre op diet) required except for all liquids the day before and I have only lost 13lbs. I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with me. I get in 80oz- a gallon of Water a day. And i always get my Protein in between 65- even 100 a couple of days and my calories are in the 600 ish range. Of the 13 lbs, 10 i lost the first week and then since then just 1.5 a week! Im afraid that I went through all of this for it not t work... I could use some serious advice and calming words because I am desperately freaking out.

1 hour ago, Serengirl said:

This is so upsetting to see. I had surgery on Sept 4th (no pre op diet) required except for all liquids the day before and I have only lost 13lbs. I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with me. I get in 80oz- a gallon of Water a day. And i always get my Protein in between 65- even 100 a couple of days and my calories are in the 600 ish range. Of the 13 lbs, 10 i lost the first week and then since then just 1.5 a week! Im afraid that I went through all of this for it not t work... I could use some serious advice and calming words because I am desperately freaking out.

Are you still on fluids only or puree? Also, that seems a lot of Water, I struggle to get half of that in, did they tell you to drink that much?

Did your surgeon tell you what size he would make your sleeve AND most importantly it IS working you HAVE lost 13lbs, that is nothing to be sneezed at, imagine trying to lose that much before your sleeve? Everyone loses at different rates depending on how much they need to lose, exercise levels/muscle mass/height etc. Don't get down, there is nothing to be down about, it is coming off, just not as fast as you wanted :)

Edited by Bastian

I would be looking closely at every little thing you put in your mouth any liquids or foods..

4 hours ago, Serengirl said:

I lost 16 lbs the first month - and I ended up losing ALL of my excess weight - over 200 lbs. People lose at all different rates for all different reasons - most of which you have no control over. The one thing you DO have control over is whether or not you stick to your program. If you stick to your program, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. And to be honest, since the average weight loss for us "non-600-lb life people" seems to be in the 15-25 lb range the first month, you're going to end up in that range. So...you're normal!

9 hours ago, Bastian said:

No he never said what size of sleeve ad he said any Water over 64 is great. I LOVE water and so its easy for me to drink and i am always thirsty (even before this) so getting in that much is easy for me. There can be different sized sleeves? No one mentioned this ever and I went to kaiser where they make you take three months of classes. I am on purees- yes- and honestly before I could easily lose 13lbs and then the weight loss would just stop and Id get frustrated and gain it all back.

9 hours ago, Bastian said:

Are you still on fluids only or puree? Also, that seems a lot of Water, I struggle to get half of that in, did they tell you to drink that much?

Did your surgeon tell you what size he would make your sleeve AND most importantly it IS working you HAVE lost 13lbs, that is nothing to be sneezed at, imagine trying to lose that much before your sleeve? Everyone loses at different rates depending on how much they need to lose, exercise levels/muscle mass/height etc. Don't get down, there is nothing to be down about, it is coming off, just not as fast as you wanted :)

Everyone's different. With that being said, I lost 24lbs within the first month.

Returning to the thread, today is my one month anniversary and I've lost 33.5lbs. Crazy. It wasn't a pretty journey getting here though, which is why I think I lost so much.

Edited by caroconcerta

On 9/27/2019 at 2:07 AM, Serengirl said:

Don't freak out, I only lost 14lbs the first month and I was considered a heavy weight. I weighed 296 the day of surgery. I lost 131 pounds the first year and have gone on to lose 15 more. It is very disheartening to see others losing 20 + lbs when you are doing the same work, I get it. Try to remember it is not a race and your body will let go of the weight when its ready, just don't go off your plan.