Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appetite Suppressant for Pre-Surgery Patients

I was just wondering if anyone has taken an appetite suppressant during their clear liquid faze before surgery? If so, what kind? I have to do a clear liquid faze for one week. No Protein Shakes are allowed.

Maybe protein- enhanced waters like Protein 2-0, Ensure and the other companies make or you get at General Nutrition Stores or even Health food stores? Now I am curious also.

3 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

That's weird so what are you just on Water?

You can have crystal light, broth but no more than 2 grams of Protein per serving, sugar free popsicles, nothing more than 10 calories per serving.

7 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Maybe protein- enhanced waters like Protein 2-0, Ensure and the other companies make or you get at General Nutrition Stores or even Health food stores? Now I am curious also.

Nothing that has more than 2 grams of Protein per serving. You can only drink things that have 10 calories or less per serving. My dietician said if you feel dizzy that you can have a little orange juice,

9 hours ago, grommie said:

I was just wondering if anyone has taken an appetite suppressant during their clear liquid faze before surgery? If so, what kind? I have to do a clear liquid faze for one week. No Protein Shakes are allowed.

This is probably the harshest thing I have ever written on here, but unless you have some issue I'm not aware of, I think your doctor is bananas. I wonder if it's some test to see if you can do it? I had the same surgery and could have a shake and 2 lean cuisines a day the 2 weeks before surgery and only had one day of liquids. That being said, I don't think taking them for a week would hurt because you won't be able to eat after surgery, but the hunger that comes back when you go off appetite suppressants is always a concern. I would ask your doctor if the diet is really mandatory and about the appetite suppressants.

I personally wouldn't take stimulants (appetite suppressants) prior to surgery. It could cause you to have cardiac or blood pressure issues and could make them cancel surgery on that date and increases your OR risks.

That's a sucky pre-op diet. I've never seen Clear Liquids on a pre-op diet for more than 2 days max and that's after following 10 days of a full Liquid Protein diet. So you aren't really hungry by that time and the 2 days of clears isn't any big deal.

((hugs)).

Yes agree there's no sustenance or satiety possible with just liquids and such low Protein.

The shakes are there to keep calories low but also make sure you get enough protein in to keep you feeling full plus you need the protein to help with healing after surgery!

That sounds like torture sorry.....

Thanks everyone for your response. I did not even consider the consequences of appetite suppressants. I don’t have any special issues. He has all of his patients do this diet one week before surgery. He is a very good doctor but your right this is a little “crazy “.

My sister said I should practice 😂! During the week of October 2nd, I will have to remind myself why I am doing this when I get hungry.

ALWAYS remember the WHY!!! Whenever times get tough and you have to dig deep. IT ALL comes back to the WHY. If your WHY isn't significant enough or impactful enough, and you being the "royal you" not you in particular, I don't believe you will be successful in this long term. It has to TRULY be something you NEED even more than WANT. It's like a mass factor level of order of 10 magnitude.

Hi, I think you should have one more conversation with your Team to clarify what you can/cannot have preop and the reasons why.

This plan does feel very extreme because after surgery you will likely have nothing at all for a day or two, then just Water and liquids for the next week or two.

Do you have a very high starting weight or a fatty liver? Just trying to make since of the instructions...

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi, I think you should have one more conversation with your Team to clarify what you can/cannot have preop and the reasons why.

This plan does feel very extreme because after surgery you will likely have nothing at all for a day or two, then just Water and liquids for the next week or two.

Do you have a very high starting weight or a fatty liver? Just trying to make since of the instructions...

I am currently at 280 and my goal weight is 150. He has all of his patients do this before surgery. No exceptions.

Sorry but this is ludicrous!!

The part that makes me fume is a Dietician saying to have flippin' orange juice which is horrendous on so many levels.

A Protein Shake or Protein Water is far more beneficial than a sugar-laden orange juice pfffft :1316_thumbsdown_tone2::51_scream:

It is cruel to expect someone to live on clear fluids for a week for bariatric surgery when it is a known fact we have much bigger appetites than the average person.

Hydration is the most important thing though and it is "just" a week and you CAN do it, be strong and keep your surgery date in focus!

42 minutes ago, grommie said:

I am currently at 280 and my goal weight is 150. He has all of his patients do this before surgery. No exceptions.

Then I'm sending positive energy your way! Congratulations in advance 💙

28 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Then I'm sending positive energy your way! Congratulations in advance 💙

ditto!