Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New YouTube Show - Bariatric Strong

Hey everyone,

So im trying out a new endeavor. I have created a new YouTube channel dedicated to people like us: Baritric surgery patients who now want to be more athletic.

What should i do for a workout? What should I eat for performance? What foods fuel muscle growth? Questions like these and more are what I will try to answer through some simple little videos. Its not bout money or sponsors, its about creating a bariatric fitness community.

I only ask that you guys watch, comment, and maybe give me some suggestions on topics to talk about for future episodes. No one seems to be able to give us good answers on this stuff so I figured I should seek them out myself.

You can check out episode 1 here - https://youtu.be/2NvPVKE_kv0 - and feel free to subscribe to you know when new episodes come out.

and as always...stay Baritric Strong!

Edited by NurseMichael

I love the concept and appreciate your many levels of expertise. My puzzle is that I am trying to figure out the right nutrition for endurance events - triathlon, distance biking, back packing (planning to do the Grand Canyon next year as part of the 830 mile Arizona Trail.) I had RNY 7 months ago and am goal weight. I still cannot eat much at any given time and struggle to get in enough calories to maintain training. I love Intermittant Fasting (16:), but I have given that up in order to spread more caloric intake throughout the day. I specifically would like to know what works well right before an event and during an event, or between stages (such as Triathlon). It needs to be easily digestable, but not so high in carbs that I end up dumping. Tomorrow I am doing a bike ride and then a swim. I am going to try a bowl of oatmeal and a Protein smoothie about an hour before the ride, and then have a Protein Shake before the swim. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. PS: I am also an RN and very much into healthy, lifestyle nutrition.

9 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I am going to try a bowl of oatmeal

I know it's too late for today, but try making the McCann's or Bob's Red Mill Irish oatmeal made in a slow cooker overnight (or I think you can do it as overnight refrigerator oats but don't quote me on that), rather than rolled oats. It will have more of a slow sustained release rather than a massive bolus up front! Good luck today! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

11 hours ago, NurseMichael said:

So im trying out a new endeavor. I have created a new YouTube channel dedicated to people like us: Baritric surgery patients who now want to be more athletic.

Nurse Michael, congrats and what a great idea and concept. I'm going there now to watch and subscribe! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!!

10 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I love the concept and appreciate your many levels of expertise. My puzzle is that I am trying to figure out the right nutrition for endurance events - triathlon, distance biking, back packing (planning to do the Grand Canyon next year as part of the 830 mile Arizona Trail.) I had RNY 7 months ago and am goal weight. I still cannot eat much at any given time and struggle to get in enough calories to maintain training. I love Intermittant Fasting (16:), but I have given that up in order to spread more caloric intake throughout the day. I specifically would like to know what works well right before an event and during an event, or between stages (such as Triathlon). It needs to be easily digestable, but not so high in carbs that I end up dumping. Tomorrow I am doing a bike ride and then a swim. I am going to try a bowl of oatmeal and a Protein smoothie about an hour before the ride, and then have a Protein Shake before the swim. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. PS: I am also an RN and very much into healthy, lifestyle nutrition.

So I can only speak from experience here. I have competed in a few longer distance obstacle course races (13 mile Spartan, 18 mile Bone frog, and the NY Half Marathon) so i can speak to what I did for those events.

Lets start with during an event. I find that carrying small easily digestable carbs works really well. Items like the Cliff Blocks Energy Chews or GU Energy Chews are really easy to carry and i usually eat half a pack every hour. I also like the stroopwaffles for a little texture and energy. I have gone with the GU brand or the Honey Stinger ones. Any of those options work great during endurance events. That being said, with the concern about dumping, i would try any of these items before your actual event. Like maybe during a shorter workout.

As far as prior to the event, you are on the right track with the oatmeal or a Protein Shake. Both of those should give you the energy you need to get through the first bit of the event.

Quick comment on intermittent fasting if I may. I tried it and found that there was no possible way to get in all my calories for performance in the time window. Its just too much for my restriction to handle and personally i do not recommend it for anyone who has undergone a weight loss procedure. As well, if you read the literature, the results of IF dont vary that much from balanced eating throughout the day.

Hope this helps a little and hope you guys tune into the show. As always, stay Bariatric Strong!

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

I know it's too late for today, but try making the McCann's or Bob's Red Mill Irish oatmeal made in a slow cooker overnight (or I think you can do it as overnight refrigerator oats but don't quote me on that), rather than rolled oats. It will have more of a slow sustained release rather than a massive bolus up front! Good luck today! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

I use Bob's Red Mill steel cut GF oats - for the same reason - slower release of carbs. Thanks for the reminder.

Congrats on the new channel, hope it takes off really well and you reach lots of people!

Good effort - look forward to checking it out when I get some peace and quiet!

6 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I use Bob's Red Mill steel cut GF oats - for the same reason - slower release of carbs. Thanks for the reminder.

8 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Nurse Michael, congrats and what a great idea and concept. I'm going there now to watch and subscribe! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!!

Well, the oatmeal was way too heavy for my stomach. (Sure tasted yummy - first bowl of oatmeal since surgery!!!) The Protein smoothie will do just fine before the swim. I found some high protein, medium carb bars at the store. Gonna try pieces of them on my walk later.

20 hours ago, NurseMichael said:

Hey everyone,

What should i do for a workout? What should I eat for performance? What foods fuel muscle growth? Questions like these and more are what I will try to answer through some simple little videos. Its not bout money or sponsors, its about creating a bariatric fitness community.

I only ask that you guys watch, comment, and maybe give me some suggestions on topics to talk about for future episodes. No one seems to be able to give us good answers on this stuff so I figured I should seek them out myself.

You can check out episode 1 here - https://youtu.be/2NvPVKE_kv0 - and feel free to subscribe to you know when new episodes come out.

and as always...stay Baritric Strong!

Hey there @NurseMichael! Just watched the video, liked and subscribed - really enjoyed it. Love your energy and passion, and while I don't know how much I can get out of it at this point in time (only one month post-op), I know it won't be long at all until whatever I learn will be so valuable.

Thank you for doing this, what a great service to the bariatric community!

P.S. Is it bad that I burst out laughing when your mic fell over? 😂 I'm so glad you didn't edit that out, it made the video even better!