Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified I Won’t Lose Weight

So I’m going to have my gastric sleeve surgery on October 11, 2019. I’m currently weighing in at 190. I had the Oberea Gastric Ball, and only lost 15lbs. I’m terrified that I’m not going to lose anything like I did with the ball (15lbs after spending $10,000 is nothing....if I’m spending that kinda money it better be more than 15lbs!)
I’m self paying for the sleeve and it’s much more than the ball was, and I don’t want to be in the same boat as before. I want to get to 130lbs. Has anyone been in my shoes? I know I’ll stall, I’m just deathly afraid I won’t lose more than 15lbs or worse gain it all back!!
🥺🥺🥺

You will lose. You don’t have an option, at least in the beginning. You can’t over eat bc it comes up if you do. You can’t drink while you eat or it comes up. So your body will be very strict with you for awhile. After reading many posts, it’s seems that way later you have possibility of stretching stomach and gaining weight but I think that’s a small percentage. I wish you the best!

I'm sure you'll do fine. As the previous poster said, you really don't have any option but to lose weight :)

As you only 60lbs to lose you may have to be more strict with every thing you put in your body. Those last 60lbs may take some extra effort but yes you'll need to learn a whole new way to eat and drink to lose as much as you can.

Yes you will have some restriction hopefully at the beginning but it's still important to be very careful about logging every calorie and making sure to get the right combination of Protein and Water as well..

It's really up to you and your dedication and motivation to do the right thing!

6 hours ago, Little Debbie 77 said:

So I’m going to have my gastric sleeve surgery on October 11, 2019. I’m currently weighing in at 190. I had the Oberea Gastric Ball, and only lost 15lbs. I’m terrified that I’m not going to lose anything like I did with the ball (15lbs after spending $10,000 is nothing....if I’m spending that kinda money it better be more than 15lbs!)
I’m self paying for the sleeve and it’s much more than the ball was, and I don’t want to be in the same boat as before. I want to get to 130lbs. Has anyone been in my shoes? I know I’ll stall, I’m just deathly afraid I won’t lose more than 15lbs or worse gain it all back!!
🥺🥺🥺

I’m reading some reviews from gastric balloon patients on this site. See links below.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1015-gastric-balloon-forum/

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/update-potential-risks-liquid-filled-intragastric-balloons-letter-health-care-providers-0

Gastric balloon VS gastric sleeve.

Balloon HOW MUCH CAN I EXPECT TO LOSE?

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/before-and-after-your-gastric-balloon-complete-guide/

You can typically expect to lose between 20 and 50 pounds.

The amount you lose depends on your starting weight and your ability to implement and maintain a new diet and exercise regimen. It is imperative to continue the new exercise regimen after the gastric balloon is removed, or you will regain the weight.

Patients averaged about 10% weight loss from their starting weight during the FDA trials. However, many programs report that their patients are averaging between 15% and 20% total weight loss.

Sleeve HOW MUCH WEIGHT WILL I LOSE?

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeves-how-much-weight-will-i-lose

The amount of weight you will lose depends on a number of factors. These factors include, diet, exercise, lifestyle, and your overall commitment to changing old habits. The size that your surgeon makes your new sleeve can make a difference in overall weight loss.

Let’s assume you do everything right. You’ve changed your diet and you’ve created new healthy habits. You exercise on a regular basis. On average people lose 60% (Stegemann, Obesity Action Coalition, 2012) of their excess weight with gastric sleeve surgery. This includes people who have followed their post operative guidelines and people who have not.

If you follow the guidelines, change bad habits, replace them with new healthy habits, then you can expect to lose more than 60% of your excess weight.

I felt the same and it stems from us trying so many other ways to lose and failing. You literally cannot fit much in and as said above things come back up if you over do it.

You'll be fine :)

I had my sleeve 7/8/19 I was 193 day of surgery. Today I am 170. My surgeon said I should lose 5 to 10 lbs a month and as I lose I would lose more slowly. He said for me not to be in a hurry as I have a year to take it off. I guess that’s the standard time people take off the most. I had a big stall and talked with my nutritionist and went back to 2 shakes a day and it is coming off again. When I said to the assistant I was afraid I wouldn’t lose any more she said it’s all numbers you will. So overall all I am down 33 since I started this journey. The best decision I ever made. I think you will be fine.

I honestly remember feeling this way! And I also never thought I'd possibly see my high school weight (Goal #1 150lbs). But hey, I'm a slow loser and all. Don't exercise overly much and here I am. I'm below Goal #3 135lbs! And feel 1000% bettah!!! :)

If I can do this...you can do this. I'm nothin special and the only super power I have is that I know how to pack a crap ton of deeply nutritious food into 600-800 calories per day. :D

"I know how to pack a crap ton of deeply nutritious food into 600-800 calories per day. :D "

That is a super power fluffy chix.

I imagine you might actually like vegetables...?

7 minutes ago, mcfluffington said:

"I know how to pack a crap ton of deeply nutritious food into 600-800 calories per day. :D "

That is a super power fluffy chix.

I imagine you might actually like vegetables...?

Yes! I do! And I also believe in better living through chemistry for some "slightly more innocuous" "ingredients". LOL. I'm pretty sure this won't go on my tombstone:

"It wot the Walden Farms Calorie Free Italian Dressing wot dun her in!"

hehehehe

But the old me mighta read:

"It was that b***h Big Deb (formerly Little Debbie) wot did her in, in the kitchen pantry at midnight with a Zebra Cake!"

Edited by FluffyChix