Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone else experience this

I had sleeve on 7/3/19. It’s 9/17/19. I feel like there is still a lot I can’t eat. oatmeal and yogurt feel the best. You know that feeling when it kind of hurts when you eat something. For example tonight I made veggie crumble with taco seasoning (30% less sodium), cut tomatoes, cut avocado, and put mixture into lettuce. I have a slight feeling that I need to throw up. I only ate one leaf with the mixture. I get this feeling with a lot of foods. Can’t do any meats. (I was vegetarian for years). Even tofu gives me that grinding, painful feeling. I had hernia repair so that’s not it. It’s more of pain in stomach. Maybe too much food, maybe didn’t chew enough. Uggh. This is the only issue I have. I’ve been walking everyday. I’m down almost 60 lbs. Any thoughts???

Edited by ms1of99@gmail.com
Add something

4 minutes ago, ms1of99@gmail.com said:

I had sleeve on 7/3/19. It’s 9/17/19. I feel like there is still a lot I can’t eat. oatmeal and yogurt feel the best. You know that feeling when it kind of hurts when you eat something. For example tonight I made veggie crumble with taco seasoning (30% less sodium), cut tomatoes, cut avocado, and put mixture into lettuce. I have a slight feeling that I need to throw up. I only ate one leaf with the mixture. I get this feeling with a lot of foods. I had hernia repair so that’s not it. It’s more of pain in stomach. Maybe too much food, maybe didn’t chew enough. Uggh. This is the only issue I have. I’ve been walking everyday. I’m down almost 60 lbs. Any thoughts???

I get the same feeling, even tonight with rice and shrimp. After only a few shrimp and couple bites of rice I feel somewhat of a pain in my chest and nausea. I sat the food down and was able to finish about 15 minutes later without that same feeling. meat is hard on my stomach and I'm almost 7 months out.

Hopefully with time it will get better!

Edited by gabybab

1 minute ago, gabybab said:

I get the same feeling, even tonight with rice and shrimp. After only a few shrimp and couple bites of rice I feel somewhat of a pain in my chest and nausea. I sat the food down and was able to finish about 15 minutes later without that same feeling. meat is hard on my stomach and I'm almost 7 months out.

Thank you!!!

I'm 2 months out and can still only eat 3 bites of anything. Any more and i'm vomiting. Also, chicken almost always makes me sick as do raw veggies. I do well with omelettes.

lettuce and tomatoes can be hard at first - raw vegetables in general are hard (I think they're just difficult to digest, but eventually your new stomach will be able to handle it). Tomatoes have a lot of acid, which can also be irritating when you're early post-op (in fact, I still have trouble with acidic foods sometimes, at four years out). You may just have to stay on blander, easier-to-digest foods for awhile. There are still times when I have to do this because my stomach seems easily irritated some days - but early out it was *a lot* of days...

9 hours ago, gabybab said:

Just an FYI I have read a lot that rice is a known trigger for pain and vomiting as is bread :)

Based on my experience, you aren't that far out and it doesn't surprise me you still have sensitivities to certain foods. The first time I had an adverse reaction to a food (severe pain, foamies, and ultimately vomiting) was from eating a hard boiled egg. It really made me take my time progressing through the allowed food stages; I took things a lot slower than my program outlined. Because I was hesitant I steered clear of raw veggies with the exception of avocado. I could seriously eat avocados at every meal and thank God they agreed with me! Lettuce is notoriously hard to digest, so maybe that and the other veggies just pushed things over the top.

Either way, you are doing fabulous and the sensitivities do tend to go away (that's a good and a bad thing for me!)

13 hours ago, gabybab said:

I get the same feeling, even tonight with rice and shrimp. After only a few shrimp and couple bites of rice I feel somewhat of a pain in my chest and nausea.

My nutritionist says rice expands in your stomach after eating it and frequently causes discomfort. She advises steering clear of it.

i had a similar thing several months after surgery. I'd had a hernia repair during my surgery as well and it came back. Surgeon said it can happen. I had to have some sort of swallow test to diagnose the problem.