Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I think food is stuck in stoma between pouch and intestines!

Ok, so I can't figure out if I should go to the ER or suck it up til morning and call my surgeon. I am pretty sure I wolfed down some chicken without chewing thoroughly and it has been 2.5 hours. I can't keep liquids down, I'm in so much pain, and keep spitting up foam. What should I do to get through the night? Things are not getting better!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would be inclined to go to the ER as things continually coming back up is not a good thing.

Doesn't your surgeon have 24 hr emergency coverage for these types of cases (he should...there should be someone on call 24/7 in these practices)? I would call to get their opinion - it may be a 'go to the ER' or it may be one of those 'it will settle down and pass in time' things.

Drink a little bit of Coke. That’s what the ER will most likely have you do.

I kept small bottles on hand for this reason.

I'd try some hot Water. If that doesn't help, call your Doctor or seek medical attention.. chicken was hard for me to eat as well. It stil is really.

Thank you all! I tried a little liquid and it came right back up! I will check of the surgeon has someone on call. What a rough lesson to learn the hard way!!

Be careful with that chicken!!!! Of all the impacted food we dig out in my GI department, chicken is the worst culprit. CHEW, CHEW, CHEW!!!!!!!! Glad it resolved for you. Otherwise, it is general anesthesia and an endotracheal tube to guard your airway while the doc goes fishing for the food.

ED NURSE HERE...with food implications the spit builds up like a snow storm then you spit out frothy spit. Sips of fluids go down but come right back up...GO TO THE ER.....We give u glycogen IV it's a smooth muscle relaxation and usually the food implication will move. The pain is from the esophageal spasms around the food it is spasming around it to push it down. At the most u need a scope they put u to sleep and go down and grab it...Good Luck don't wait the night

Try sucking some crushed ice. It will help to reduce swelling which may help the food move. It’s what I used to do back in my banded days

Thank you all for your advice! As I was hemming and hawing about going to the ER, and after 4 hours of agonizing pain and frothy spit, I suddenly felt way better as the food worked its way out! Ugh. What an awful experience! Do you think I stretched out my anastomosis permanently? Or should I be fine? I really need to remember to chew, chew, chew, and maybe avoid chicken unless it's ground!!

Someone used to swear by keeping Papaya or tummy enzymes on hands for those kinds of emergencies? I've never tried them, so don't know what kind to tell you to get.

Sorry you had that scare!!! I do know that others talk about the foamies and that walking also really helps. Don't know how that works either!

Glad you're feeling better! Be sure to go back a stage for the next couple of days to give your esophagus a rest. It's likely pretty inflamed!!

You'll be fine now that it's out. It's definitely never a pleasant experience when the chicken gets stuck, and it's a notorious thing for doing so.

I had an episode on Sunday where something I ate fine the previous day ended up giving me issues the next. Of course, I immediately knew it was going to be a problem when I felt myself swallow it. Thing was way too big and not chewed enough.

14 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

Ok, so I can't figure out if I should go to the ER or suck it up til morning and call my surgeon. I am pretty sure I wolfed down some chicken without chewing thoroughly and it has been 2.5 hours. I can't keep liquids down, I'm in so much pain, and keep spitting up foam. What should I do to get through the night? Things are not getting better!

Nurse advice- go to A & E luv.

oh don't mind me coming in a day late lol!! Glad it moved you sounded really uncomfortable. xx