Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I do have another question so soon, hoping someone can share what they did.

I am 4 days post-op & I am having difficulty reaching the required ounces of liquids per day.. I have just been sipping a water bottle & clear Protein Drink bottle throughout the day & can’t seem to finish either one.

Is it okay to sip from the bottle or do I need to drink/sip from those little 1 ounce cups throughout the day until the drinks are finished?

Another question I have.. I keep getting a bad taste in my mouth. It’s not metallically but I don’t know how to describe it. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks so much ahead of time!

I"m 8 weeks post op and am just now able to get close to my Water goals and then only sometimes. I didn't use those cups, I just sipped from the bottle. Gatorade Zero was my best friend in the first few weeks to keep from getting dehydrated.

I haven't had the odd taste in my mouth.

I also had an odd taste. Apparently it can be a sign of ketosis

I never used those cups. If they're cumbersome, or a hindrance, I'd say ditch them for whatever works for you.

Yes, bad taste (and bad breath) can be a sign of ketosis.

You can drink from a water bottle but make sure your still sipping (that’s why they have you using 1 ounce cups). You don’t want to drink too fast so early.

No i didn’t have a bad taste.

The cups are merely a convenience - if you can sip one of those every five minutes, that's 12 oz in an hour, or 64 in a little over 5 hours during the day. If it is more convenient to sip from a 12 oz or other sized bottle, go for it.

I think that some programs prefer the small cups as it may reduce the temptation to guzzle more too soon, though from what I have seen, most who attempt that won't do it again! The main problem that I have seen is that most programs don't tell you how long you need to do that sip, sip, sip thing until you can drink more normally (as it is a big variable between people,) but in time - anywhere between a couple of weeks and a couple of months - you should be able to drink more or less normally.

12 hours ago, nataliemarie23 said:

Hi everyone! I do have another question so soon, hoping someone can share what they did.

I am 4 days post-op & I am having difficulty reaching the required ounces of liquids per day.. I have just been sipping a water bottle & clear Protein Drink bottle throughout the day & can’t seem to finish either one.

Is it okay to sip from the bottle or do I need to drink/sip from those little 1 ounce cups throughout the day until the drinks are finished?

Another question I have.. I keep getting a bad taste in my mouth. It’s not metallically but I don’t know how to describe it. Anyone else experience this?

Hi Natalie. Yes I’ve been experiencing the bad taste . I was told it’s Ketosis caused by fat leaving the body

quickly .I started using mouthwash which does help , except I can’t stand Peppermint, and most of then seem to be Peppermint ! They have different coloured bottles , but don’t say what they are They did have one that was Cloves , but couldn’t stand that either )No pleasing some people is there!!)😄

12 hours ago, nataliemarie23 said:

I was told that the first few weeks are about recovery. Sip Protein through the day, it is a Fluid, and learn to love the bad taste, it is a side effect of Ketosis and will go away. I put my protein drink on ice to help with the taste. I used Ensure Max as it is 30 g of protein per carton so I "only" had to drink 2 per day. It wasn't until the 3-4 week that I was ready for something else. I am now almost 2 months out and still on my diet I got for week 4 as it fills me up. I carried some "tea" on ice in my Tervis to sip all day. It is decaffeinated and without sugar. Occasionally I use a clear protein drink to add a flavor to it.

13 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

I"m 8 weeks post op and am just now able to get close to my Water goals and then only sometimes. I didn't use those cups, I just sipped from the bottle. Gatorade Zero was my best friend in the first few weeks to keep from getting dehydrated.

I actually just purchased some Gatorade zero! I’m glad to know it’ll help. Thanks so much ☺️

2 hours ago, PEGGO said:

Hi Natalie. Yes I’ve been experiencing the bad taste . I was told it’s Ketosis caused by fat leaving the body

quickly .I started using mouthwash which does help , except I can’t stand Peppermint, and most of then seem to be Peppermint ! They have different coloured bottles , but don’t say what they are They did have one that was Cloves , but couldn’t stand that either )No pleasing some people is there!!)😄

Lol! Peppermint can be a very strong taste. I don’t care for it much either but anything to help the taste & bad breath! Lol Thank you!

7 hours ago, RickM said:

The cups are merely a convenience - if you can sip one of those every five minutes, that's 12 oz in an hour, or 64 in a little over 5 hours during the day. If it is more convenient to sip from a 12 oz or other sized bottle, go for it.

I think that some programs prefer the small cups as it may reduce the temptation to guzzle more too soon, though from what I have seen, most who attempt that won't do it again! The main problem that I have seen is that most programs don't tell you how long you need to do that sip, sip, sip thing until you can drink more normally (as it is a big variable between people,) but in time - anywhere between a couple of weeks and a couple of months - you should be able to drink more or less normally.

I was thinking I was doing it completely wrong by drinking out the bottle & not the cups. Good to know it’s a convenience! I’m so use to taking big gulps too, definitely don’t want to cause anymore discomfort. Lol thanks so much for replying! 🙂

9 hours ago, nataliemarie23 said:

Lol! Peppermint can be a very strong taste. I don’t care for it much either but anything to help the taste & bad breath! Lol Thank you!

Good luck 😊I’m still looking for one that isn’t strong peppermint . Lysterine do a mild mint , so Im trying that but don’t hold out much hope ! I’ll end up with dozens of bottles of different mouthwash !

How about Cepacol- I seem to remember it as Cinnamon although I haven't tried any recently.

38 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

How about Cepacol- I seem to remember it as Cinnamon although I haven't tried any recently.

Sounds good ! I’ll try and look for it . Thanks 😊 Question, should soft cheese garlic & herb flavour be ok ?

I had a really bad taste to the point that I would get out of bed and brush my teeth again during the night. Not so bad since I started the puree food .

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using BariatricPal mobile app