Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

* HELP HOW many days in hospital???

I believe that in the USA we tend to be discharged quite quickly. Some may argue too quickly.

If your doctor wants you in the hospital for a few days, it is probably for the best.

You will do great!

I spent 2 nights in the hospital and went home late in the afternoon on the 3rd day. I had to be able to sip a certain amount of liquid to get released.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well my memory is terrible but I had surgery April 29th and I stayed in hospital two nights, I had a rough time of it since I was bed bound. I was also not doing well. Yet they sent me home day three, maybe they shouldn’t have and I wasn’t sure what was going on. I hated feeling so out of sorts and wanted my own bed.

I got home late into day three, and the next day I tried to do some normal things, to get my body moving but I was having a hard time breathing, I managed an errand and laundry but started having intermittent fevers. But because I have chronic Illness (immunodeficiency) my body doesn’t have fevers normally when it should. I tried to ignore it until it went up at night over 102. Now mind you this likely won’t happen to you but I ended up at the Er and admitted for pneumonia, acute uti and critically low potassium. I got stuck there another three days. They were going to make me stay longer. They had no clue about bariatric patients.

So maybe your doctor is just being extra cautious and if you do well after surgery and are up and walking about soon after and once you can tolerate small amounts of liquids, they will give you the ok to go home. It could be much sooner than the doctor estimates but since you won’t have help at home they just are extra cautious. Maybe inquire with your insurance if you can get a home visit from a nurse a few times.

All the best to you in your journey ahead.

I had VSG to RNY revision. I went in on a Wednesday. Surgery lasted 5hrs and I went home Friday night. They told me I could stay one more day if I felt like i needed it but I chose to go home.

16 days lol i wasn't 'lol-ing' at the time tho [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey guys just getting closer to surgery and few small questions. I know they may have been asked similar before.
My surgeon last time we spoke said might need like 5 days in hospital for the RNY BYPASS surgery? He says it's very serious surgery and I haven't had any surgery since a teenager and he wants to be double sure I'm right to go home look after myself as I live alone.
I've never heard of anyone on this site doing that many days? Some ppl talk about 1 night only or even out patient surgery?
I think it may also be that I live about 2.5hrs from the hospital maybe?
I'll be seeing surgeon in a week to ask more questions :)
just thought I'd see what others experienced??
it's going to be hard on my own having to do my own like cooking and cleaning and stuff

Honestly if you live alone do as many days in hospital as you can especially as you are so far away from it.
In USA they do kick them out super early for everything. I think it's just because of their insurance style health care system and most on here are from USA.
I had mine done in uk and they said 2-4 is normal for a sleeve and 4 or 5 for a bypass. So sounds the same. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/16/2019 at 11:14 PM, Mikeyy said:

Hey guys just getting closer to surgery and few small questions. I know they may have been asked similar before.

My surgeon last time we spoke said might need like 5 days in hospital for the RNY BYPASS surgery? He says it's very serious surgery and I haven't had any surgery since a teenager and he wants to be double sure I'm right to go home look after myself as I live alone.

I've never heard of anyone on this site doing that many days? Some ppl talk about 1 night only or even out patient surgery?

I think it may also be that I live about 2.5hrs from the hospital maybe?

I'll be seeing surgeon in a week to ask more questions :)

just thought I'd see what others experienced??

it's going to be hard on my own having to do my own like cooking and cleaning and stuff

I had my surgery on the 16th and was in until the 20th. I had some complications through. Good luck!

I was in the hospital one night. If you are up and walking and doing well they released you. Unfortunately I had an issue so I went back to the hospital for 2 nights in the same week.

And Nagatha- I do pray🙏your scary days as well as those of Lynda 468 soon become a memory instead of your reality daily. So glad you landed upright from that forced descending out of your WEIGHT LOSS airplane. Now you both, get well and stay That Way, we need both of you here!

I'll be seeing surgeon tomorrow to double confirm everything.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I'll be seeing surgeon tomorrow to double confirm everything.

Thanks

Good luck let us know how you get on :)

I was in the hospital for 2 nights. Had surgery on a Wednesday and was discharged on Friday afternoon. My insurance initially only approved one night but I later got a letter stating that they approved a second night. I was not ready to go home the day after.

I stayed one night. I was up and walking and eating real well. I did have a lot of nausea the first night after surgery but that passed the next morning. The nurse actually told me I would be there 3 nights at least due to nausea and throwing up. Nope, surgeon came in that morning and said I was doing great and I could go home that afternoon. I felt 100 times better at home.