Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

* HELP HOW many days in hospital???

Hey guys just getting closer to surgery and few small questions. I know they may have been asked similar before.

My surgeon last time we spoke said might need like 5 days in hospital for the RNY BYPASS surgery? He says it's very serious surgery and I haven't had any surgery since a teenager and he wants to be double sure I'm right to go home look after myself as I live alone.

I've never heard of anyone on this site doing that many days? Some ppl talk about 1 night only or even out patient surgery?

I think it may also be that I live about 2.5hrs from the hospital maybe?

I'll be seeing surgeon in a week to ask more questions :)

just thought I'd see what others experienced??

it's going to be hard on my own having to do my own like cooking and cleaning and stuff

Hey guys just getting closer to surgery and few small questions. I know they may have been asked similar before.
My surgeon last time we spoke said might need like 5 days in hospital for the RNY BYPASS surgery? He says it's very serious surgery and I haven't had any surgery since a teenager and he wants to be double sure I'm right to go home look after myself as I live alone.
I've never heard of anyone on this site doing that many days? Some ppl talk about 1 night only or even out patient surgery?
it's going to be hard on my own having to do my own like cooking and cleaning and stuff

I was told by my surgeon that I will only be in the hospital for 1-2 days after surgery. It all depends on how well or not so well Im doing that will determine my length of stay. 5 days is a long time. You may need to get a second opinion about that.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using BariatricPal mobile app

Yea I'll be asking surgeon next week to confirm

I had my SURGERY- an RNY- early on a Wednesday Morning, went home at 4pm. on Friday afternoon, nottoomuch different from you guys 1/3. or1/2 my age, which at that time was 72. So keep yourself as ready and as healthy as possible before and you'll leave at the perfect time for you. And I live approximately 50 miles from Columbus, Ohio where my Surgeon is located. Hopefully this helps a little, so don't worry, these days it's a pretty easy breezy operation, in most cases it's classified as MAJOR because of. where they are Monkey- Doodling, all abdominal surgeries are called " MAJOR" but honestly I have had " MINOR" ones that caused me more grief and pain!

Thanks you've always be a shining light on this site. I'm about half your age at 35yrs young :D

I'm 48 and my surgeon said one day in the hospital. Maybe that depends on the time of day I have my surgery. I know my surgeon does 4 procedures a day.

Mikkey asking this question on a mainly US based site won’t give you true answers. Their health insurance is different and therefore no of nights in hospital would be different.

In Aus most Drs will tell you between 3 and 4 nights for RNY. I ended up staying in 5 nights as I had a complication

This is the most active site I've found and it's hard to know whose from where :)

Yea my surgeon did say they take a more in depth approach in Australia compared to some places. Just getting a little anxious!

14 minutes ago, elcee said:

Mikkey asking this question on a mainly US based site won’t give you true answers. Their health insurance is different and therefore no of nights in hospital would be different.

In Aus most Drs will tell you between 3 and 4 nights for RNY. I ended up staying in 5 nights as I had a complication

So True our insurance kicks us out of the hospital. Also, in US, the hospitals are the dirtiest places full of mrsa. they want you out of there early for your own health.

I'll be in a private hospital 😀

5 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

I was supposed to be there only 1 day but I was still very nauseous and stayed a 2nd night. I live 2 hrs from my hospital.

Had surgery at 9am and was out by noon the next day. No complications from my RNY. I'm in the US, so think it's a max of 2 nights assuming no comps.

I ended up staying 2 nights. My doctor had originally said 1. Things change.

I got to my room at 6 pm the day of surgery and went home at 2 pm the next day. I also live alone. I had people lined up to help me but didn't need it.

I spent two nights in the hospital; the day of my surgery I arrived in the morning and stayed over and then the whole next day, I went home about 11am on day three. So maybe 52 hours