Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

knowing when you are really hungry or really full?

How long did it take you after surgery to start really figuring out if you are hungry or full? What signals did your body give you?

I am 12 days post op and still trying to figure this out. I mean, my tummy is gurgly all the time, but I don't think it is hunger gurgles. At least not most of the time. Most of the day I really don't care if I don't put ANYTHING in my stomach, which I know is normal. And then when I do eat, there isn't really anything thick going into my stomach yet... so I am never quite sure when to stop trying to put something in? 4 oz of Fluid, be it Water, both, cream Soup, or Protein Shakes go in fairly fast. Probably too fast. But then when I have tried a few thicker purees (mashed potatos, scrambled egg), I am only taking a couple bites and I stop, because I don't want to overdo it. I mean, sometimes I can tell when I am full... burping/hiccoughing/pressure, but sometimes I burp or hiccough with the first sip or two of water and then I can keep going. I haven't figured out which signals really mean something (other than the pressure). Is this just something I am having trouble with because I am barely in purees? Will it get better with soft foods? Or should I already be figuring this out now?

It took me 3-4 months before I could feel the PO "full feeling". So I never "chased" that feeling. I went and still try to go "by the book" meaning, I go by my doc's and RD's prescription for food volume and Protein quantity per my stage. At almost 19 months, I'm on my forever diet plan which is 1 cup of food by VOLUME per meal total. And daily I must get between 55-74g protein. I must also get 100+fl oz liquids daily and take my Vitamins and exercise. Every dang day.

So. That's the life plan.

For you, 12 days PO, you may only be at 1oz liquids every 15 minutes. You MUST trust and follow the doc and RD prescript for volume. Cuz volume is king. Forget about chasing the full feeling.

At that volume, it would be legit that you would experience hunger every hour or two. Cuz in full liquids you're probably getting in about 350-400 calories per day.

Nowdays, if I experience hunger between meals, I KNOW it's cuz I'm thirsty. So I ALWAYS drink first. I can drink about 6-8fl oz of Water very quickly before I say, wow!

My rule forever is hydrate with water first and if still STARVING in 20 minutes and can't defer, eat a hard boiled egg or raw veggies. Something low reward and <100cals.

Oh and BTW? I still don't chase the full feeling. I try with all my might to stop at 1 cup per meal regardless of whether or not I'm still hungry or no longer starving. Hope that helps.

It’s all about the sipping at 12 days. It’s important that your stomach heals correctly. I wouldn’t push it and I know you just want to drink normal but be patient with the process. 

I’m still learning and I’m 4weeks post op. I’m unsure when I would figure it out but I know how much I can eat in one sitting so just give myself the 4oz limit and no more because I don’t want to overdo it.

At 12 days for me I was still on full liquids no purées with the exception of Jello and pudding. I too was only able to take an ounce of Water every 15 minutes in sips and in my second week it was every 10 minutes of sipping. It will get better! For me now if I drink too fast I get hiccups and that’s how I know I’m taking water in too fast. 

Listen to your body.

Thanks!

I did tell my doc that liquids go in pretty fast, and he was fine with that. Still, I am under my requirements for Water. I did get a water bottle with time markings to help me out with tracking and encouragement. Doc was happy that I switched to this water bottle to help motivate. I think I do great with water in the first half of the day, but then the second half of the day I just really don't want to drink. I also think that my attempts at "meals" is making it worse. You know... the whole don't drink 30 minutes before/after thing. It isn't a problem at Breakfast time because i get up, drink my water... wait a little bit, then drink my Protein Shake. But if I attempt anything even slightly more solid it slows me down. And this whole not knowing when to eat and when to stop eating thing is hard to figure out. I am allowed to eat 2-4 oz of clear, full liquids, or purees up to every 2 hours, but a 500 calorie max. I just can't tell physically when I should start/stop... and I am eating nowhere near every 2 hours! I haven't bothered to put my "food" in a log (yes I know I will need to) because If I get 2 shakes in, I don't get much else in. If I get one shake in, then I can get maybe 4 oz of broth and a couple bites of something a little more solid. Then I can't get my 2nd shake in. I KNOW I am under 500 calories at this rate! My doc starts purees at day 10. I am just slow to take to it! And no... not trying to chase the "full", but want to be sure to stop if I am full!

13 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Thanks!

I did tell my doc that liquids go in pretty fast, and he was fine with that. Still, I am under my requirements for Water. I did get a water bottle with time markings to help me out with tracking and encouragement. Doc was happy that I switched to this Water bottle to help motivate. I think I do great with water in the first half of the day, but then the second half of the day I just really don't want to drink. I also think that my attempts at "meals" is making it worse. You know... the whole don't drink 30 minutes before/after thing. It isn't a problem at Breakfast time because i get up, drink my water... wait a little bit, then drink my Protein Shake. But if I attempt anything even slightly more solid it slows me down. And this whole not knowing when to eat and when to stop eating thing is hard to figure out. I am allowed to eat 2-4 oz of clear, full liquids, or purees up to every 2 hours, but a 500 calorie max. I just can't tell physically when I should start/stop... and I am eating nowhere near every 2 hours! I haven't bothered to put my "food" in a log (yes I know I will need to) because If I get 2 shakes in, I don't get much else in. If I get one shake in, then I can get maybe 4 oz of broth and a couple bites of something a little more solid. Then I can't get my 2nd shake in. I KNOW I am under 500 calories at this rate! My doc starts purees at day 10. I am just slow to take to it! And no... not trying to chase the "full", but want to be sure to stop if I am full!

Ok so they should tell you Protein Shakes, broth, sf Jello, sf popsicles, and ice ALL count toward your liquid goal and you don’t have to do the 30/30 think. Cuz it’s all liquid!! ((Hugs!!))

13 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok so they should tell you Protein Shakes, broth, sf Jello, sf popsicles, and ice ALL count toward your liquid goal and you don’t have to do the 30/30 think. Cuz it’s all liquid!! ((Hugs!!))

Thanks! I have counted my broth and Jello and that gets me closer, but I usually don't count my Protein Shakes.

1 minute ago, momof3_angels said:

Thanks! I have counted my broth and Jello and that gets me closer, but I usually don't count my Protein Shakes.

Count them and don’t do the 30/30 unless your doc or RD specifically told you that you couldn’t count them or that u had to apply the 30/30 rule! ((Hugs))

I hadn't checked my Dr's nutrition info now that I'm officially past the 6 week mark (where they indicate full healing should be although I've also heard ppl in his office state 8 weeks?).

Much to my shock this is the ONLY thing in the 4 pages that addresses what to do AFTER WEEK SIX:

After 6 weeks from your surgery date, your stomach is officially healed and it is time for you to advance your diet further to dense Proteins. Remember to focus on your meal pattern to help you reach your daily Protein goal and to help you feel your best! Protein first, followed by non-starchy vegetables, then fruit or starch (if desired)

NOTHING is stated about amounts, how often, calorie limit or any other macro related suggestions. I mean what ??? There is not even a reference to WEEKS 4-6 which is all about eating 1 to 2 oz up to 4 to 5 times per day and is limited to only SOFT SOFT foods.

I'm a bit baffled..