Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal hernia discovered during gastric sleeve surgery. I chose the sleeve because of a rare disease that I have. When the surgeon went in to perform my surgery 2 days ago, he discovered the hernia. Has anyone one else has this happen? And then NOT had problems with gerd, reflux after surgery. The surgeon was bit worried that I may need to get the bypass. No GI problems at all in last couple days. Crossing my fingers.

My doctor discover a hiatal hernia during my sleeve and repaired it. About 2 years after surgery my gall bladder had to be taken out and the same hernia had ruptured again, fixed that one. Now it appears I may have another and my gerd is worse than before I had surgery.

I had a hernia for years before my sleeve. It was repaired at that time. I'm only five months out but so far so good.

I am in the Pre-op stage for a sleeve. I only had two requirements for insurance(Nutrition consult and Psychological evaluation) but my surgeon added an Endoscopy which I had yesterday. Today my Surgeon was giving my the results and he said I have a hiatal hernia which he can fix during surgery, he said it really is not that big of a deal(at least in my case). At first, I was sort -of complaining that my surgeon had added something to the list(requirements). Now, I am grateful that he did, hopefully now we will not have any surprises if the insurance approves the surgery.

I hope you don't have any future health problems.🙏

not only am i a nurse but also a post sleeve patient ( 5 weeks). you might find that with the weight loss, you may not have any problems with gerd any more. If the surgeon found it and didn't repair it maybe it wasn't that bad. my surgeon repaired my umbilical hernia but i didn't have a hiatal hernia. This does not have to be on the consent for surgery because it's considered an incidental find. i would say don't worry about it until it becomes something to worry about. just follow your diet and go slow.

I had a hiatal hernia prior to VSG surgery and has been on Omeprazole for GERD and Acid Reflux for years. I no longer have GERD or Acid Reflix post-VSG and no longer take medication for it. Hooray!

#1-hiatal hernias are not uncommon in obese patients. Obesity increases pressure on the organs and they sometimes slip their bonds to cause a hiatal hernia. So, to answer your 1st question, I would think this is a fairly common occurrence.

#2-just like Paul said above, as you lose weight you may find that GERD resolves or gets better. Has to do with the same pressure discussed in #1.

I had a hiatal hernia before the sleeve. My GI doc said it was "sliding", meaning that depending on my situation and position, it disappeared. I discussed this with my surgeon. He said that if he found one during sleeve surgery, he would repair it. I guess it decided to hide during my sleeve surgery because the surgeon said there wasn't one.

Went back to my GI doc earlier this year. It's back, but it's very small (1cm or less). I have a little bit of nighttime reflux, but other than that it doesn't give me too much trouble. No immediate plans to do anything about it at this point and hopefully, it will resolve itself as I continue to lose weight.

I had an unknown hiatal hernia that the surgeon found during sleeve surgery and he repaired it at that time. I never had any issues from it, so never suspected one. I am six months out and have been on Omeprazole since surgery and have had no reflux issues to date. I go in for my six month follow up tomorrow and am curious if I'll have to keep taking the Omeprazole.

My docter fixed my hernia when doing the sleeve surgery and everyday sence then acid reflex is a huge problem. I have to take acid reduces everyday some times twice aday or right before bed just to sleep cause the burning in my throat is horrid. I would diagnose myself and say i have gerd. Im only almost 4 months post op and acid reflux sucks!!!!