Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still no 2004 Bandsters here???

Great, all continues well? I've lost track of so many Bandsters from that time.

13 years later and still doing good. I had five kids since the surgery, so my weight went up, but I am getting back to losing this last 40lbs.

wrassling with this weight demon continues for me as well....although I haven't had to deal with birthing kids. That must have been a bit challenging.

I'm 11 years in.... still at goal weight. Happy Bandster here!

Been around for a few years...should stop by more often but seems so busy all the time. Still loving my band tho!

looks like you're doing all the right things there 2babutterfly; congratulations!

2006 bander here. I consider myself fortunate. For all kinds of mechanical and behavioral issues, many bands don’t work.
I keep my band at the lowest fill I can.
It is not easy, but the pattern of repeating what does work helps me

And no , I don’t feel like “I got it”.....
Just keeping off my weight and exercise is my goal most days
Best of luck to all

I'm a 2008 bandster but soon NOT to be one--I have NO fill but keep getting food stuck. The surgeon says it's a matter of WHEN not IF the stoma will occlude totally.

I was moderately successful--I lost 80 pounds but it has crept up through the years but was still able to keep 50 off and have weighed the same for about 6 years--it's the first time in my life I have ever been weight stable. It did also cure my GERD!

But all good things must come to an end so I'm getting it removed with a conversion to a RNY pending all the approval hoops to jump through.

I wonder if the surgeon will let me keep it? Maybe make a piece of jewelry with it? As much as I paid for it (even with insurance) I should get to keep it....😄

JRT Mom:

I'm unfamiliar with all the newer procedures and/or revisions. Did study the RNY prior to my own Band. Wondering if you would mind informing what makes that your choice now?

Thank you,

Jack '04 Bandster

Sure! I love talking about this stuff with people I know won't judge me. My friends all look at me like I'm crazy...

Anyway, I know if I have my band removed my weight will explode. So the surgeon I'm seeing says I could have a revision done in one surgery--right after removing the band he could do a sleeve or an RNY. He said the sleeve was a bit more difficult to do because of the scar tissue the lap band will leave behind after the removal, but could be done. But the main reason I'm going with the RNY is I used to have terrible acid reflux before I got my band. The band all but cured it. And many people who have never even had trouble with reflux develop it after getting a sleeve so that sounded too risky. And I've developed a touch of maturity onset diabetes, and a RNY is supposed to really help with that. So that's why the RNY.

If you need to know more, just ask! WLS isn't for the faint of heart and it's great to find like-minded individuals to discuss this with.😁

Thanks for a little discussion. I've been in discussion with my long term intern, familiar with me since before banding in 2004. So far we've got a small stack of 'maybe better' and a larger handful of 'probably not a good idea'. I think band still a good idea for me but more concern of potential downsides now at 74.

Banded back in 2009.... loved loved loved my band. She was removed in March of 2017 due to a slip caused by the flu/stomach bug. I knew when it happened... worst day ever.

I love what the band taught me and with that knowledge I "only" gained 30lbs in the years after. But as I get older the ability to keep the weight off with diet and exercise and no WLS has been a huge battle. So 12 weeks ago tomorrow I had the sleeve done (8/28/19). SW this time was 173.5, Yesterday at dr. office for check up 143.0.

I do see and feel the differences between the two. I feel hunger with the sleeve vs the band. I can eat stuff just now its 2-3 bites and done. I don't have port pain. The left-arm pain when full is worse. Of course, the no fills. I only had 1 unfill due to the TT (tummy tuck)

I really wanted the MGB, but, my dr. doesn't do them. Before i found him i was going to head to Mexico($8800). But, i did the pros and cons and went with the sleeve here.... my dr is only 10 min from my work. It was the knowing if anything went wrong i was only a call away. I didn't weigh enough for the GB and had no other issues. So i was self-pay $14k.

I will tell you the removal of the band was not hard at all. But the sleeve was by far the easiest sx i ever had.... (2) c sections, gallbladder, hysterectomy, band, TT, band removal and now sleeve.

The RN yesterday said she wished all her patients were like me..... hehe.... She said the band taught me well.

I miss all the band members that use to come here......