Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much We is one expected to lose right after surgery

I went from 286 to 252...so in the first 30 days I lost 34

I am a SLOW LOSER. Have been no matter what I tried since I hit my 30's. For the image that GradyCat posted..for the starting weight of '300-400'....I've been roughly on target for the smallest weight loss of the possible 'ranges'.

i.e. at 10 days out I may have even been less than projected..maybe 7-8 lbs

For 6 weeks out - I was at about 22 or 23 lbs. This is with no cheating, no big calorie intake on any day and with increased physical activity. Some others that I follow that had similar starting weight as I did (or roughly similar weight at time of surgery) and are within + or - 7 years of my current age, have ALL blown away what I've managed to do by leaps and bounds. They lost more like at the high end of the ranges.

I wish it was different for me, but I keep continuing to work on NOT being disappointed. Who knows, maybe with me losing more slowly, when some of my 'faster losing' friends....if they start to 'peter out a bit'..maybe mine will keep being continual. In other words, maybe 1 to 2 years out, if we stick to what we know we should be doing, our losses may match more closely (assuming similar physical activity as well).

I know that the way I was going, I was staying stagnant and then gaining lbs here and there and at almost 400 lbs, I was on a fast track to what is almost...like a slow death blow to my body..bit by bit. Also, I lost 45-50 lbs on previous 15 months of Keto WOL before I ever walked into a surgeon's office. Before I ever started any 'pre-op diet' and my body was VERY stubborn in shedding the weight during those 15 months even when I was HEAVY into ketosis (based on the urine strips).

Decades of yo-yo dieting, etc. seem to have just turned my thermostat to 'OFF'. It is up to me to reignite it and for ME, that means I have to be more active - not just having an RNY. I had been walking with my daughter & noticed that was adding an extra lb a wk loss which may not seem like much but over a year that is 52 EXTRA lbs lost from just walking 3 times a wk.

You will find every single person is different..

DNA. AGE. HEIGHT. STARTING WEIGHT. etc

Other illnesses not related to obesity...

I am a female and RNY. I weighed around 350 and lost eight lbs a month for 14 months and plateaued at 200.

From what I understand mine was a pretty slow weight loss.

But if your weightloss is slow, you are less likely to have gall bladder problems.

31 minutes ago, mcfluffington said:

I am a female and RNY. I weighed around 350 and lost eight lbs a month for 14 months and plateaued at 200.

From what I understand mine was a pretty slow weight loss.

But if your weightloss is slow, you are less likely to have gall bladder problems.

Sorry to hear your struggles..

I'm currently preop started my diet early.

Started at highest 322 and currently 291 in just 15 days.. Very low calorie and carbs and high Protein :) logging everything!

As I go along I know it will start slow down...