Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know during the weight loss journey stalls are fairly common after surgery. I’m experiencing one currently and was wondering what are things that you do to get over a stall? Any advice or tips would be highly appreciated.

Before surgery I would (during all of my nutty super low carb/ low carb/ potato diet/ Soup diet, etc) eat a weird day and that would get things going again. Like a 1 day fat fast (google it, basically you eat avocados or other healthier high fat food) or a cheat day. It is very hard to be super disciplined and keep it to one day only. I haven't tried anything post surgery because I have sworn off all of my old habits and diet mentality. I just tell myself I am in it for the journey not the destination and keep trudging along. Or have an active day doing out of the norm for me activities.

I think patience is the key to stalls.

I find this incredibly difficult as I have the patience of a gnat.

:lol::P

I've been the same weight for the past month, basically month 5 post op, the entire month. It began after vacation, I had been losing at a slow but steady clip and this past month has been very frustrating. I have upped my workouts as I'm training for a 5k and I think that is the real culprit. My hunger has started to return, but not to the extent is was presurgery, so I have to really focus on Protein, veggies, and Water for satiety and hydration. I go to my surgeon next week for my 6 month follow up and I hope he has some words of encouragement or advice to get over this stall. I will say though that this morning's weigh in at home I appeared to be down a pound, which is hopefully a sign the stall has broken. Otherwise I would say, patience is required and adherence to your plan, even when it seems like nothing is happening. Do your clothes fit differently? I have noticed mine are looser this month despite seemingly zero weight loss, so maybe for me I've replaced fat weight with muscle weight, which takes up less space. I don't know, but I think this happens to all of us one time or another, so you're not alone. Hang in there.

I am currently on a stall myself stuck at 279 for a week now. I always stall at this weight when I have tried to lose weight in the past. I plan on maybe doing a juice fast for a day or two to get below this set point. good luck with yours.

Patience is a virtue... just keep doing your best with your diet and exercise and you will get through it. I'm realizing now that I had a stall over the summer that lasted around two months. I didn't completely stop losing weight but my weight loss majorly slowed down after about month 6. I had been losing very fast, so I thought this was a normal adjustment, but something has clicked in the last couple of months and I'm losing much faster again. Could be also that I'm more honest with myself about food choices and exercise and have more of an exercise routine now. Anyway, best of luck--you will get through it!