Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tried doing a search, but could not find any info specific to this...

I have been taking omeprazole 40 mg since my surgery 3 months ago, as instructed by my Doctor. I have been told to now discontinue it, and I have, but i am now experiencing what feels like rebound symptoms like a burning sensation in my pouch. (This started within 2 days of stopping the med.) Not a lot of fun!!!

Is this something others have experienced? Does it resolve over time?

I will speak to my Doctor- just curious about other's experiences.

Thanks so much! :)

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!

I was told after my 3 months to use as needed. I eventually didn’t need it, only very occasional like after I had something that was too acidic. But everyone is different. Your doc will probably put you back on it if youre still having symptoms. If you had GERD before surgery and got a sleeve, sometimes symptoms will get worse. That’s why doctors usually have patients with GERD do the bypass. Hope things get better for you. I’m sure it will.

1 hour ago, FluffySaysForkIt! said:

Tried doing a search, but could not find any info specific to this...

I have been taking omeprazole 40 mg since my surgery 3 months ago, as instructed by my Doctor. I have been told to now discontinue it, and I have, but i am now experiencing what feels like rebound symptoms like a burning sensation in my pouch. (This started within 2 days of stopping the med.) Not a lot of fun!!!

Is this something others have experienced? Does it resolve over time?

I will speak to my Doctor- just curious about other's experiences.

Thanks so much! :)

I had a 6 month prescription of 30mg, and when I ran out, I got the rebound symptoms (foamies and slimies galore! burning in throat in the mornings) and asked my doc to re-prescribe me. I'm 10 months now and asked the doc to help me wean off of it, after reading some tips on how to do so.

So, once I finish off my current stash of 30mg (probably another month or so) here is the plan:

1. reduce dosage to 15mg daily and take this for two weeks.
  2. then take the 15mg every other day for two weeks

Well see what happens...

I took Omeprazole for several years before WLS. I had to have the h pylori breath test before surgery, so I had to stop taking it for two weeks prior to the test. I noticed that I didn't have any GERD or Acid Reflux during that two weeks, so I stopped taking it altogether. Now I'm 9 months post-VSG and haven't had any GERD or Acid Reflux and have still not taken any more of the Omeprazole. So far, so good.

Just now, ms.sss said:

I had a 6 month prescription of 30mg, and when I ran out, I got the rebound symptoms (foamies and slimies galore! burning in throat in the mornings) and asked my doc to re-prescribe me. I'm 10 months now and asked the doc to help me wean off of it, after reading some tips on how to do so.

So, once I finish off my current stash of 30mg (probably another month or so) here is the plan:

1. reduce dosage to 15mg daily and take this for two weeks.
  2. then take the 15mg every other day for two weeks

Well see what happens...

Thanks so much for that, it is really helpful. 💙

I hope it works out for you- acid burn is the worst, right? UGH!!!

Keep me posted on how it goes, if you get a chance.

Thanks again! :)

1 hour ago, Project Me said:

I was told after my 3 months to use as needed. I eventually didn’t need it, only very occasional like after I had something that was too acidic. But everyone is different. Your doc will probably put you back on it if youre still having symptoms. If you had GERD before surgery and got a sleeve, sometimes symptoms will get worse. That’s why doctors usually have patients with GERD do the bypass. Hope things get better for you. I’m sure it will.

Hi! Thanks for replying and the well wishes. :)

I actually had the bypass due to pre-surgery GERD that was pretty bad.

And remember I Am the Non- Omeprazole Kid--- It NEVER was gastroprotective for ME!

I don’t know how to tell my doctor that the proton pump inhibitors don’t help me and are not worth the side effects involved. If there are side effects or allergic reactions even I get them. (I’m running out of antibiotics I don’t have a bad reaction to.) I was given carafate and told to double the omeprozole unless they want me backed up I can’t do that to my body. Long term they can do damage. I can say it’s a good idea to take digestive enzymes, preferably chewable or liquid.

Another alternative to cutting back to half dose (if that doesn't work) is to cut the dose or frequency, and substitute an H2 inhibitor such as Zantac (ranitidine) or Pepcid, which are a different class of drug without the same long term side effect concerns as the PPI's, but also somewhat less effective or enduring. But they work well in cutting back the PPI therapy.

If one is taking omeprazole twice a day, substitute one of those doses with Zantac, or take a half dose of omeprazole in the morning and a dose of Zantac in the evening. Then try going to all zantac after a couple of weeks, etc.

Don't ask me why but my (Belgian) doc put me on Omeprazole for life. I had a MGB which has a slightly higher risk of bile reflux.

1 hour ago, ummyasmin said:

Don't ask me why but my (Belgian) doc put me on Omeprazole for life. I had a MGB which has a slightly higher risk of bile reflux.

I know, right? So weird. My doc did too. :( I'm on 40mg/day.

Good luck hon! Sorry it's giving you a tough time cutting back!!