Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op + weight gain

How much did or are you eating at 3 weeks post op VSG?

Tomorrow will be my 3 weeks post op.

I’m curious if I’m eating too much (I can eat up to 4oz). The pictures attached are all the guidelines I was given and even on the example meal plan seems way too much. I wasn’t given a calorie goal or anything.

My mom was curious on how I was doing so she had me go on the scale Thursday and I had gained 1.6lbs. I know it’s not much but because I’m only on week 3.

I make my Protein goal of 50-60 grams a day but I’m always short from my 64oz of Water by 20oz.

I been back to work for 4 days now and I make it a priority to walk home from work since I live not even a mile from my job.

Some NSV I have had since surgery are that I can almost touch my thumb and middle finger together around my wrist, I can sit on a conference room chair comfortably without the arm rests going into the sides of my thighs (now it still does but not as much as it use to), I see my face slimmer and as well as my stomach, I can wear jackets I had to put in the back of my closet because my arms were too big and I couldn’t zip them up.

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

1/4 cup is 2oz, and 1/2 cup is 4oz. By 3wks I could eat 3.5oz. Your 1.6lb gain could just be Water weight. If you're gonna weigh yourself you should do it consistently at the same time and preferably in the morning after you've gotten up and emptied your bladder. Also, if you haven't pooped that will be a good lb or so added lol. I normally fluctuate 1-3lbs during the day. Depends on my water weight, food, bladder, and pooping! I wouldn't worry about your 1lb gain. Now if it was like 5lbs then I would be curious!

Thanks for this post! I can also eat 3-4 ounces of soft foods comfortably. I was sleeved on 8/27, so not even 3 weeks out yet! I don’t feel restriction or discomfort with this quantity, and 2 oz just doesn’t fill me up. I feel like this is more than a lot of people can tolerate at this stage though, which makes me nervous. I do feel more restriction when eating scrambled egg whites, and can only do 1-2 ounces at a time, so I’m hoping when I am able to start more solids I feel the restriction more.

I was sleeved 10/11 and have felt the same way...like I can tolerate more than everyone else. I am three weeks post op today. did you end up feeling more restriction with solid foods?

I definitely feel more restriction with solid foods, but can still easily eat 3-4 oz of them at a time at just over 2 months out. I am strict about measuring so I don’t go over this amount, even if I don’t feel “full”. I also haven’t found any foods I can’t tolerate yet, including raw veggies. I’m thinking I may just have a larger capacity pouch??? I was planning to talk to my surgeon about it at my 3 month post op. In the meantime, I am sticking to my plan and losing weight, although slowly these past few weeks. Even though I feel hunger and can tolerate more then others at this stage, my cravings for food is drastically less which I am thankful for! Good luck to you! I felt like things got much easier when I was able to start on solids. (SW 205, CW 167)

18 minutes ago, antodd said:

I was sleeved 10/11 and have felt the same way...like I can tolerate more than everyone else. I am three weeks post op today. did you end up feeling more restriction with solid foods?

On 9/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, 303nursemom said:

On 11/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, antodd said:

i Feel the exact same way and I’m only 1 week post op. Today I ate a whole breadstick and was fine. I don’t even know if it was worth it for me. The only thing I’ve seemed to gain is track marks on my stomach, crazy bruising, and scars from my incision. Now I understand why people get the whole bypass. This has been a waste for me. I hope you all have better luck 🙏

11/01/2019 02:25 PM, antodd said:

Yes, I can not eat more than 4 Oz still. eggs and yogurt I can eat 5-6oz. 

On 11/02/2019 at 23:08, FknUpAlready said:

11/01/2019 02:25 PM, antodd said:

i Feel the exact same way and I’m only 1 week post op. Today I ate a whole breadstick and was fine. I don’t even know if it was worth it for me. The only thing I’ve seemed to gain is track marks on my stomach, crazy bruising, and scars from my incision. Now I understand why people get the whole bypass. This has been a waste for me. I hope you all have better luck 🙏

Please be careful on what you eat! Were you allowed by surgeon to eat a bread stick? It is important to follow instructions so early on you don’t want to hurt your new stomach. I heard some people don’t feel the restriction till a couple weeks after.