Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet pain.

Hi guys,

I am on a 2 week liver shrinkage diet, i am four days in and am suffering a lot of what i assume is hunger pain.

Is this normal ? I knew it was not going to be easy in anyway, shape or form and i will carry on regardless but at times the pain has been a 7 out of 10

Also does it ever stop? I kinda expected to struggle for a couple of days and then sort of get used to it.

Maybe i am wishful thinking on that one lol.

@maseI am currently on week three of my 1 month liquid diet and I can honestly say that the struggle is real. I too suffered from what appears to be huger pains, and then a few days later realized I wasn't really hungry I just wanted some actual food to eat. It will get easier it is difficult when everything you see on tv or in real life is about food and all you want to do is eat but then that gets better too. Here is a suggestion if it gets bad enough, my sister who has had the surgery years ago suggested that I have something to eat and chew it but just spit it out (great suggestion) because while at her house she was grilling hamburgers and we made me one and I chewed and savored every bite and then spit it out I learned that the gratification would have been to swallow but I did not. I know that sounds kind of gross but it was worth it really was because I have not wanted to eat any more food since. hopefully you are taking in enough Protein and this should help with those hunger pain .hopefully your time will fly by and you will get to the other side you can do this . I hope this had been some what helpful . just remember you are not alone in this and you got this!

Thanks for the reply its nice to hear i have not gone completely insane i was starting to think there was something else wrong not just hunger lol.

I have eaten one boiled egg while i have been on the diet so hopefully thats not a big enough cheat to stop the surgery. Your right struggle is real but the end result is worth the fight. Roll on the 18th and then i will be on the road to recovery.

mine is the 16th I wish you all the luck on your journey

The pre-op diet hunger is hard guys, but it will be over before you know it and you won't be hungry then and will be struggling to work out how on earth to get your Protein and daily fluids in lol

Stay strong, have a big drink of Water when you have tummy pains, it can help ease it a bit. Good Luck!

It's so important that you stay on that liver-shrinking pre-op diet to avoid complications with surgery. You can do it! Hang in there! Your body is just wondering where all the good stuff has gone and is giving you heck about it. Your body will adjust and it won't be so bad. Good luck on your WLS journey.

I personally thought the pre-op liquid diet was the hardest part of the whole thing. It seemed to get easier after about the 3rd or 4th day, though - at least for me.

I have hungry pains quite a bit too. I try and take big drinks of Water. I figured I'd enjoy the big sips of water now while I can since it's so restrictive afterwards. I've had horrible headaches from detoxing caffeine too. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it.

Today has been better :) so day six almost down 8 more to go lol. The pain has pretty much stopped now and i have lost 9 lbs which is a bonus :).

congratulations on the lbs down big win. I weighed in today at my pre surgical testing and I am 22 lbs down only 6 more days to go @mase we got this the hardest part is almost over then we can focus on recovery

13 minutes ago, mase said:

Today has been better :) so day six almost down 8 more to go lol. The pain has pretty much stopped now and i have lost 9 lbs which is a bonus :).

That is great! I've come down a few pounds on the preop diet myself. It's nice, but dear goodness I'm still hungry as heck!

I'm glad you are getting some relief!

1st day of pre op. Had 1st Protein Shake late AM. Didn’t want shake again for lunch. So had part of my pre planned dinner of small salad with vinaigrette dressing. Then rest of dinner a little later. Had 2nd shake 2hrs after dinner. Have no idea if this is ok.

Long as your following your plan then i am sure your doing fine.

Everyones plan seems different for example here in sunny old england the nhs in my area recommends four slim fast shakes a day and plenty of Water and any diet drinks i like. Yet other NHS trusts have completely different plans and the guys over in the states seem to be different again.

Its all means to the same end i guess shrink that dam liver lol

Thanks Mase. Appreciate your feedback