Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight loss 21 days post sleeve surgery

Hi all,

It's been 3 weeks since my sleeve surgery and I have only lost 11 lbs (260 to 249) I have been vigilant in my diet and everything I've read says that most people lose around 30-40 lbs the first month. I have been walking and tolerating everything ok except the one laparoscopic incision that they put stitches in (lower right hand side) has healed on the outside but has continued to burn when I get up from sitting or laying down. Has anyone else had these issues?

That is commonly referred to as the 3rd-week stall. It happens between 3-4 weeks. Stay off the scale for a week or it will drive you nuts. I didn't have stitches I had staples so I can't help you with the soreness but I imagine it will take a while to completely heal. I've had so many laparoscopic surgeries that I think I should have had velcro on my stomach. I've had the band in, the band out, hysterectomy, and then the sleeve. You'll pass this stall we all have it, there will be many more on your journey. The body just wants to "readjust" then you start losing again.

Happened to me too! I started on green smoothies in the morning and it helped me to go to the bathroom and have more energy. I am losing inches!

a 30-40 lb weight loss the first month is the exception with "normal" WLS people. That's more common among people on shows like "My 600 lb Life", who start at way higher BMIs than most of us do.. I've been hanging out on this and other bariatric surgery boards for at least five years, and I would say the average loss for the first month is in the 15-25 lb range. I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out at over 300 lbs. So I'm not sure where you've been reading that, but even though it happens occasionally with us more "normal" WLS folks, it is definitely the exception.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

a 30-40 lb weight loss the first month is the exception with "normal" WLS people. That's more common among people on shows like "My 600 lb Life", who start at way higher BMIs than most of us do.. I've been hanging out on this and other bariatric surgery boards for at least five years, and I would say the average loss for the first month is in the 15-25 lb range. I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out at over 300 lbs. So I'm not sure where you've been reading that, but even though it happens occasionally with us more "normal" WLS folks, it is definitely the exception.

Glad to see your post for clarification, I was just reading the thread and though oh geez, I'm 3 weeks out and just hitting 20. that won't put me at 40 next week.

I lost 15kg, 33lbs in 2 weeks!! :56_anguished: Crazy I know & I kept asking the nurses if their scales were right but I was pretty unwell.

11lbs is fantastic, Could you have lost 11lbs before surgery so easily? My loss really was due to how unwell I was and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was really awful and I would have rather lost 11lbs and not had the problems I had.

BUT only 1kg (2.2lbs) down since lol so am having the 3-week stall too and it is SO frustrating being on so few calories and nothing is happening. It feels a bit like being on a diet pre-surgery and sticking to it yet not losing anything, so I am trying really hard to just try and trust that it will start going down again.

As far as your 1 painful wound, it might just be that deeper down there is a bit of scar tissue pulling when you move a certain way, that will eventually stretch and soften up a bit and stop tugging and causing discomfort.

I've lost 28lbs in 2 weeks on a preop diet I've started myself :)

I heard from my surgeon that the stomach heals 4-6 weeks. I get that feeling when I’m moving laying down and I was told it will go away once stomach is fully healed.

One of my incision stitch/scab fell out and left a small hole where it’s healing so it closed but i was also told to try not to do any bending or rotating still to make sure non of them open up or scabs don’t fall off sooner than it needs

I'm 7 weeks out and lost 28 lbs...seemed slow to me also after seeing some of these numbers people post, but I started doing my research and just as catwoman7 stated, those numbers are 600 lb life type people. I started with BMI of around 43. 4 lbs a week is fine to me. Before wls I would have gotten discouraged by now and started eating piss poor again, but with the sleeve it keeps me from overeating and craving food, seems crazy for me to feel that way about food😀.