Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve revision to RNY or Bypass reason

Pretty sure the only revisions from sleeve are either RNY or DS @Dr-Patient

8 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

Hi. There have been some re-sleeves.

Thanks.

Pretty sure the only revisions from sleeve are either RNY or DS @Dr-Patient

I was banded in 2005 and I had constant slime/gerd. Totally disgusting! I had the band removed later in 2005. I went to Mexico to one of the well known surgeons there and had the gastric sleeve. I lost over 100 lbs and I've kept it off. However, 2-3 years ago the gerd started and it has gotten gradually worst. Doctors in my local area refuse to treat me because I had the sleeve done in Mexico. I was able to get the mayo Clinic to treatment. I had a large paroesoIphgeal hernia that was pushing a 1/3 of my stomach into my chest cavity. The hernia damaged my diaphragm, stomach and my esophagus. The surgeon corrected that earlier this year. He said my sleeve was larger than normal, but it was the size they did them in 2005. He also said it had angular shape to it. He thought everything should be fine. Well I get home and as I increase the different foods the gerd comes back bad. Another trip to Mayo and I now have spontaneous reflux. Anything I swallow most of it comes back up. The sleeve has developed some sort of pocket and basically the food is going into the pocket and once it gets full it has no where to go, but up. My surgeon wants me to convert to an RNY. My insurance is not going to cover it because I was a self pay and even though I didn't have the current company when I had my surgery they said I should have followed the protocol of the prior insurance carrier. Since I didn't do that they won't cover it. They even have one of my claims from a procedure that the Mayo clinic did earlier pended for medical records. I plan to pay that out of pocket because I don't want them to take back other monies they have paid out. Bottom line is I become eligible for Medicare in December and hope to have my RNY early December. Strictly for the gerd. I really can't afford to lose any more weight.

Just jumping in... I had acid before sleeve, some how I missed the part about it may worsen with the sleeve... mine is controlled with meds, however the prescription med I take is damaging my kidneys and I’m a diabetic, so my endocrinologist wants me to get the bypass so I can get off the prescription medicine for the reflux

On 9/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, AchieveGoals said:

Hey guys, just wanted to hear some of your stories. Especially people who are needing to undergo a SLEEVE revision to an RNY or Bypass. Could you guys tell regarding the reason for your revision? Was it because of GERD? or Sleeve stretching etc?

Thanks

GERD was very bad

GERD is horrible. I'm actually aspirating food into my lungs at times. pills I take will come back whole an hour later. I'm scheduled for revision on 12/17. I had my sleeve over 12 years ago and have kept my weight off. I've lost over a 100 pounds and I currently wear 4/6. I'm actually losing more because nothing is staying down.

Gerd never had it before sleeve in 03/18 now I have gerd and hiatal hernia

i really don’t want rny but with all of the new info coming out about ppi not being safe long term, a revision is what it will be.

Edited by Losingit2018

From what I have read in med journals and on this site the sleeve revisions either are RNY bypass or DS. Personally if I would of had the sleeve and needed a revision I would choose DS. 97%+ success rate & no GERD. I asked for the sleeve initially but I had GERD issues before surgery and was denied. I had a modified RNY with my lower limb extended lower than the normal measurement. It’s working for me but I wish I could of been approved for DS.

Revised sleeve to bypass last week due to GERD. Sleeve w/hiatal hernia repair 6/2016. 2nd hernia repair 10/17. 3rd hernia repair w/bypass, although originally the surgeon said he wasn’t going to fix it this time. I guess it was so big that he had to. I revised because I was aspirating acid into my lungs.

I wish I had pushed for the bypass for the original surgery. I had asked for it because I already had GERD. I was told that I probably had a hernia, he’d fix it, and I’d be fine. Yeah...

This recovery is harder from a pain perspective. The incisions are larger. It hurts to cough, sneeze, laugh, sit up, etc. I don’t remember this happening the last time. The surgeon said that he “did more damage” this time cutting me open. 😳 I do feel better every day but it it is different from last time.

I also find that my appetite is the same as before the surgery. Last time I didn’t even want to look at food. However, I get nauseous when I eat so I am dropping weight, which I’m please with. I don’t mind losing about 10-15#, but I’m going to have to be careful not to get underweight (now that’s a first for me!).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3 hours ago, mlbdl said:

Revised sleeve to bypass last week due to GERD. Sleeve w/hiatal hernia repair 6/2016. 2nd hernia repair 10/17. 3rd hernia repair w/bypass, although originally the surgeon said he wasn’t going to fix it this time. I guess it was so big that he had to. I revised because I was aspirating acid into my lungs.

I wish I had pushed for the bypass for the original surgery. I had asked for it because I already had GERD. I was told that I probably had a hernia, he’d fix it, and I’d be fine. Yeah...

This recovery is harder from a pain perspective. The incisions are larger. It hurts to cough, sneeze, laugh, sit up, etc. I don’t remember this happening the last time. The surgeon said that he “did more damage” this time cutting me open. 😳 I do feel better every day but it it is different from last time.

I also find that my appetite is the same as before the surgery. Last time I didn’t even want to look at food. However, I get nauseous when I eat so I am dropping weight, which I’m please with. I don’t mind losing about 10-15#, but I’m going to have to be careful not to get underweight (now that’s a first for me!).

Thanks for sharing that info. I am set to revise from sleeve to bypass on Friday. I also wish that I had started with bypass. I swore that I would never revise.

I do have gerd and hiatal hernia. Plus I only lost about half of excess weight with sleeve. Still the episodes of reflux have not been all that frequent. Here I am the day before surgery. Still wanting to back out.

I had RNY surgery 24 days ago and besides some pain the first week I'm doing great no issues getting my Water or Protein Shakes in everyday.. Not hungry that much..

Surgeon said I can have shakes long term if I like but I have been having a bit of yogurt and hummus some days :) feeling satisfied!

down 24lbs from surgery day.

Today is my sleeve to bypass day. I was sleeved 11/12/2012, and it has been successful I lost 150lbs and kept it off (HW 364, LW 205, MW 216-221). However, the GERD has been horrible!!! Waking up aspirating into my lungs in my sleep feeling like I’m dying because I can’t catch my breath and coughing is horrible. Plus I have a hiatal hernia and developed Hypercontractile Peristalsis (Jackhammer Esophagus), SLE (gained 15 being on prednisone for a year) Sjogrens, and PMR (no one else in my family has had any of this). I love my sleeve never considered the RNY before my sleeve. However, the RNY makes me nervous it’s a nagging feeling I’ve had for awhile. My doctor is regarded as one of the top three in my state. I’ve been discussing this with him for two years. Honestly, my concerns are I don’t want anymore health problems. I guess I dunno I want relief but the feeling is still there!!! Send up some extra prayers for me. Check-in is 10am CST Surgery is at noon CST. Starting weight 235 Preop weight 241 (ate everything I could lol) CW: 227.

4 minutes ago, MsBrown76 said:

Today is my sleeve to bypass day. I was sleeved 11/12/2012, and it has been successful I lost 150lbs and kept it off (HW 364, LW 205, MW 216-221). However, the GERD has been horrible!!! Waking up vomiting in my sleep feeling like I’m dying because I can’t catch my breath is horrible. Plus I have a hiatal hernia and developed Hypercontractile Peristalsis (Jackhammer Esophagus), SLE (gained 15 being on prednisone for a year) Sjogrens, and PMR (no one else in my family has had any of this). I love my sleeve but the RNY makes me nervous it’s a nagging feeling I’ve had for awhile. My doctor is regarded as one of the top three in my state. I’ve been discussing this with him for two years. Honestly, my concerns are I don’t want anymore health problems. I guess I dunno I want relief but the feeling is still there!!! Send up some extra prayers for me. Check-in is 10am CST Surgery is at noon CST. Starting weight 235 Preop weight 241 (ate everything I could lol) CW: 227.

Prayers ⬆ No more complications. This should resolve a few. 💙CONGRATULATIONS💙

3 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Thanks for sharing that info. I am set to revise from sleeve to bypass on Friday. I also wish that I had started with bypass. I swore that I would never revise.

I do have gerd and hiatal hernia. Plus I only lost about half of excess weight with sleeve. Still the episodes of reflux have not been all that frequent. Here I am the day before surgery. Still wanting to back out.

Why do you want to back out?

8 hours ago, mlbdl said:

Yes same here except just two hernia repairs I wonder what causes this