Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my DS yesterday morning

I was not expecting this much pain at all. I had a csection and was hit by a car before while walking in a crosswalk and this takes the cake. I made the mistake of falling asleep in the chair they had at hospital because it felt good to sit up and woke up freaking out in middle night the pain in my back and shoulders... dont know if it is gas pain but it hurts when I breathe and feels horrible.

I was in surgery for 6 hours my fiance told me but also had my gall bladder out at same time. I really hope this is worth the pain. I can drink fine no problems there just my stomach on right side and this pain when I breathe that radiates from back and upper shoulders. When I have to stand up it is a nightmare. The nurses here are amazing tho and doing everything they can to help. I am usually pretty good with pain but not this time.

They only let me walk one time so far and that felt good. Hopefully they let me walk more in the morning if what this pain is is gas. They gave me medicine for gas and pain but it is still painful to take a deep breath. I just feel like crap and venting at 4 am in the hospital lol. Thanks for reading :)

Believe it or not, yes, that is gas pain. I found that it was much worse during my second wl surgery and I also sat up in a chair a lot of the time, so maybe that concentrated the gas in my neck/shoulders. Hope this clears up soon for you.

5 hours ago, woolhatgrl said:

I was not expecting this much pain at all. I had a csection and was hit by a car before while walking in a crosswalk and this takes the cake. I made the mistake of falling asleep in the chair they had at hospital because it felt good to sit up and woke up freaking out in middle night the pain in my back and shoulders... dont know if it is gas pain but it hurts when I breathe and feels horrible.

I was in surgery for 6 hours my fiance told me but also had my gall bladder out at same time. I really hope this is worth the pain. I can drink fine no problems there just my stomach on right side and this pain when I breathe that radiates from back and upper shoulders. When I have to stand up it is a nightmare. The nurses here are amazing tho and doing everything they can to help. I am usually pretty good with pain but not this time.

They only let me walk one time so far and that felt good. Hopefully they let me walk more in the morning if what this pain is is gas. They gave me medicine for gas and pain but it is still painful to take a deep breath. I just feel like crap and venting at 4 am in the hospital lol. Thanks for reading :)

I really hope your awful pain is under control soon, don't be scared to ask for pain relief when you need it. Each day really does get a little easier x

Thank you. Yeah I hate asking for medicine and some nurses are more willing to give it to you than others it seems. Lol I did get to walk again today and feeling a little better. Still pain when I breathe and when standing up but def feel better than yesterday.

💜CONGRATULATIONS💜

IT'S TOTALLY WORTH THE TEMPORARY PAIN

And girl... Ask for the meds. Proper pain management will absolutely change your outlook and recovery

My VSG surgery was a nightmare because the proper pain meds (for me) were not available. By comparison, RNY conversion was a breeze:

Me 1 hr after surgery pain managed correctly from the start

20190715_193502.thumb.jpg.785a6b42cfb016632cf69555b4ff1438.jpg

Edited by GreenTealael

Thank you. Yeah I hate asking for medicine and some nurses are more willing to give it to you than others it seems. Lol I did get to walk again today and feeling a little better. Still pain when I breathe and when standing up but def feel better than yesterday.

The ONLY alleviating thing for that HORRIBLE gas pain ( I was doubled over!!!) is walking and walking and walking as cliche as it sounds!!!! Toradol was a close second! But nothing felt as good as walking. You'll start to feel halfway decent in 48hrs. But you are right, had 3 C sections and was not prepared for that severity And like Csection, I've forgotten it happened at week 3. Better days ahead and Congratulations 🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, Deedee12 said:

The ONLY alleviating thing for that HORRIBLE gas pain ( I was doubled over!!!) is walking and walking and walking as cliche as it sounds!!!! Toradol was a close second! But nothing felt as good as walking. You'll start to feel halfway decent in 48hrs. But you are right, had 3 C sections and was not prepared for that severity And like Csection, I've forgotten it happened at week 3. Better days ahead and Congratulations 🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are sooooo right! I got myself out of bed 3 hrs after my RNY conversion surgery to walk and walk. I had no gas pain because of it. ( Initial VSG surgery recovery... Total nightmare from the pain and gas)

Thanks guys and you looked great after surgery.. wow! I'm def going to walk a lot more today and try to stay positive it's good to know this pain will soon be in the past lol.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:44 AM, woolhatgrl said:

Your first couple of days, take the pain medicine as scheduled! Don't let some nurse tell you to wait if it is due. If your pain is better controlled in the first 48 hours, you will be better able to recover in that time and beyond. You can wean yourself from the pain medicine at home. But you need it now to help you get up and walk, so you can relieve that gas pain.

My surgery was on Wednesday, and my pain was focused throughout my back more than my front. What I did feel in the front was pressure. I wasn't feeling any actual surgical pain yet... just that terrible gas pain. Now than I am day 4 post op... my pain is local around the area where they pulled my stomach out, The gas pain has improved a lot. My doc also prescribed flexoril which is a muscle relaxant. That has helped a ton too. And I bought chewable gas-x pills.

I actually woke up with some pain and asked for medicine and it helped and was able to walk more. Unfortunately my blood count is low and need 2 bags of blood. Not sure if going home today after all which stinks because I dont feel too terrible. Just stomach hurts and a little tired. I want to go home 😥