Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LADIES ONLY PLEASE!

Im too shy to talk to anyone about this.

I have not had my period for over a year now and today I was surprised it came back. I heard that having Bariatric surgery sometimes helps women get it. Does anyone know why?

This may be TMI and if so sorry!!

Today was just horrible day, I didn’t drink not even half of the Water I’m suppose to and i know it’s a must. So I didn’t have to use the restroom till tonight (that’s how little I drank today, I know that’s bad). Who knows when I started because not even an hour ago (it’s 8:44 as I’m typing this) I had to use the restroom and that’s when I noticed. Thank Goodness I didn’t leak through my jeans at work.

Because I haven’t had it in so long I couldn’t pin point why
1. I was craving sweets (had a SF popsicle to help with that since I’m a little over 2 weeks post op from VSG)
2. I was moody/emotional and lazy
3. Just uncomfortable

Started my period the NIGHT BEFORE surgery (totally lucky). Lasted for 6 days (normal) but then a few days after I was done, I had spotting for 4 days after. LOTS of hormones and chemical changes. To be expected.

3 hours ago, Bianca S. said:

Im too shy to talk to anyone about this.

I have not had my period for over a year now and today I was surprised it came back. I heard that having Bariatric surgery sometimes helps women get it. Does anyone know why?

Today was just horrible day, I didn’t drink not even half of the Water I’m suppose to and i know it’s a must. So I didn’t have to use the restroom till tonight (that’s how little I drank today, I know that’s bad). Who knows when I started because not even an hour ago (it’s 8:44 as I’m typing this) I had to use the restroom and that’s when I noticed. Thank Goodness I didn’t leak through my jeans at work.

Because I haven’t had it in so long I couldn’t pin point why
1. I was craving sweets (had a SF popsicle to help with that since I’m a little over 2 weeks post op from VSG)
2. I was moody/emotional and lazy
3. Just uncomfortable

Oestrogen gets stored in fat cells, so as you lose fat the oestrogen is released and can cause periods to appear or to be different to One's usual menstrual cycle :) It does settle down eventually though.

Any concerns though and a smear test is always worth while to rule out any nasty things going on :)

sometimes people stop menstruating when they get too heavy - not sure why, but it happens. It can also happen when they get too thin.

you may have just dropped enough weight that it's back again.

also, like the above poster said, rapid weight loss can temporarily screw up your hormone balance because of estrogen being released from fat cells, where it's stored.

I have a Mirena in, which means I haven't had my period in years, but after surgery I had some breakthrough spotting on and off for several weeks. THE POWER OF HORMONAL CHANGESSS.

11 hours ago, Bianca S. said:

@Bianca S.

🤣🤣

hang around long enough - you'll realize anything can and will be said on this board!!

ie sex... ummm, can't think of anything else right now😉

kathy

I definitely have to weigh in on this post because I have not had my period in like 4 years and I recently last week started my period for the first time in four years so I was baffled. I thought for the longest I went through an early menopause which would have been fine with me I didn't even miss it, but I guess now its back I guess my dietary changes and some weight loss are the cause and effect!! I cant explain it otherwise

Edited by Rays of Sunshine

I got mine 2 weeks early on the day after surgery and then got it several times over the next couple of months. Cysts and fibroids roared their ugly heads so I wound up getting a hysterectomy a few months after my bypass. Not caused by the bypass but I was feeling so happy otherwise that I didnt want to spend a couple years dealing with lady troubles. And I was done with kid having and probably not too far off from menopause anyway.

Normal cycles before surgery. After very heavy, every 3-4 weeks but after 4-5 months getting better. Sudden drastic weight loss really messes with your hormones

I started my period literally right after surgery. I have the mirena IUD and I’ve not had a period in years. Before surgery the anesthesiologist told me to use condoms for the first 2 weeks because they gave me something that can counteract birth control. I didn’t ask what it was but that could also be why you got your period.

Im almost 7wks and I have PCOS so I normally don't have periods every month. They typically come every 4 months. I don't remember the last time I had one, but normally when I do get it they are heavy and I have lots of clots because I haven't shed my lining in so long.

I started this past week and its super wonky. Somedays ill spot red then spot brown then tiny red clot then brown only when i wipe then red again and super light were I dont need a pad then tiny bit more were panty liner will do. I'm like what in the heckkk is going on am I gonna start fully or notttt! lol Its super annoying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

20 hours ago, Rays of Sunshine said:

I definitely have to weigh in on this post because I have not had my period in like 4 years and I recently last week started my period for the first time in four years so I was baffled. I thought for the longest I went through an early menopause which would have been fine with me I didn't even miss it, but I guess now its back I guess my dietary changes and some weight loss are the cause and effect!! I cant explain it otherwise

Again, it is because of oestrogen being released from fat cells, as well as other hormonal changes. It can happen even with the pre surgery diet. Or at different times in life if you have a sudden diet change that causes fat cells to start shrinking. Our bodies are such amazing things that we still just don't know enough about :)

@Bastian thank you for that information that's good to know.