Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain and fullness 3 years post op

Hi,

I'm three years post op, and have started having upper abdominal pain, it started on the right, and it's now mainly in the middle. It's a reallt bad pain, discomfort and fullness which can feel like it's being pressed.

It has happened a few times before in the night and gone away, but this time it's been on and off for 5 days now. I've been to A&E (ER) and had blood tests, x-ray and they can't find anything.

I've definitely become lax with the diet and measuring, could that be contributing this far along

Sorry for the long post, really want to his rid of this feeling!

This is very important to contact your surgeon. You need a CT scan when it's happening with contrast. Cuz you are likely having either a volvulus and have an internal hernia where the bowel is getting temporarily twisted and then untwisting. Or you may have a intercusseption (sp? Sorry don't know how to spell this). Or you could just be full of poop and need a great big dump. Or it could be gall bladder problems, or an ulcer, etc.

Any way, you need diagnostics beyond an xray.

Hmmm I also have been having pain on and off on the right side around the rib cage. I have had my gallbladder removed years ago. Guess I will be going back to the Dr. Again ! Hope you find out what it is and start feeling better.

My pain was mostly upper left side. But it also hurt below my liver on my right side. It was ACUTE! It was break out in a sweat and know intuitively that you're dying. It's the WORST pain you can even imagine.

Mine was an internal hernia and volvulus and all my bowels were outside the sack and were twisted. IT felt just like that.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

My pain was mostly upper left side. But it also hurt below my liver on my right side. It was ACUTE! It was break out in a sweat and know intuitively that you're dying. It's the WORST pain you can even imagine.

Mine was an internal hernia and volvulus and all my bowels were outside the sack and were twisted. IT felt just like that.

Oh , so sorry. That would be more common with RNY and not VSG correct?

Just now, Tracyringo said:

Oh , so sorry. That would be more common with RNY and not VSG correct?

I don't really know. I thought it could happen to either surgery cuz of having the stuff done laparascopically? Cuz I do know the remnant stomach can twist in VSG? I know it happens more now than when it used to be done in open surgeries? But other risks are lower.

With your's being on the right side, that sounds more like gallbladder or ulcer ish?

I've seen more than enough ulcers and erosions in WLS patients, even years post -op. Please get checked out. It very well could be an ulcer that is very treatable, but not something you want to progress.